[1.8] PersistentRotation 1.8.6

MarkusA380

Perhaps I'm eat up with the dumb-ass or just don't understand. I can get it to work, (vessel continues to rotate even when leaving / returning, but I can't get it to constantly hold "focus" on Kerbin. 

(Attempting to aim satellite at Kerbin and have it stay aimed). 

I click on "Relative Rotation" which brings up another menu, then I click on "Kerbin" then "save".  It will not always face Kerbin.

And why does it say "Select target in map to set as reference"?  I caanot select Kerbin as a target.  

TB2

Seem to be having issues at least on OS X in 1.1 where none of the icons in the PersistentRotation flight UI appear, it forgets it's UI position each time you load in/load out of a flight, and also seems to forget it's relative rotation body on each unload.

@MarkusA380 request. If you are going to use cfg to store data, please store them in PluginData. The only time a cfg file should be outside a PluginData folder is if you want KSP to load it and put it in GameDatabase for you to reference (i.e. so MM can patch it before you see it). If you do have cfg files outside of PluginData folders, and you save to them, then MM will have to rebuild its cache every launch of KSP, and that is hellaciously slow.

59 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

@MarkusA380 request. If you are going to use cfg to store data, please store them in PluginData. The only time a cfg file should be outside a PluginData folder is if you want KSP to load it and put it in GameDatabase for you to reference (i.e. so MM can patch it before you see it). If you do have cfg files outside of PluginData folders, and you save to them, then MM will have to rebuild its cache every launch of KSP, and that is hellaciously slow.

I thought I was the only one. I need to mention that to m4v to about RCSBuildAid and its setting.cfg

On 5/3/2016 at 5:14 PM, NathanKell said:

Humm... I always wondered why Module Manager was, at each start of the game, rebuilding the database. I thought, what is the point in having a cache if it is not used? So, this depend on how each mod handle theirs CFG file then NathanKell? (I am out of topic I know but since the discussion took that direction...)

I have had my finals. Will be having more time from now on to keep everything up to date. Sorry about that.

Please wait while I prepare a newer version for 1.1 with some new features etc. Hope you'll like it! :)

Edited by MarkusA380

1 hour ago, MarkusA380 said:

I have had my finals. Will be having more time from now on to keep everything up to date. Sorry about that.

Please wait while I prepare a newer version for 1.1 with some new features etc. Hope you'll like it! :)

Glad to hear! Looking forward to seeing what you have planned. :)

Hey @MarkusA380, I really love your mod. It is amazing in so many ways. I can't imagine me rotating mega stations without it, little momentum in the right direction and timewarp with PR are a Godsent solution :)

Celestial body tracking makes it so much easier to keep the desired nose pitch, it is such a bliss to be able to maintain a hypersonic flight in 4x physical warp with zero vertical velocity.

There's easily fixable little issue PR has. I was inspecting my output_log.txt and found that PersistentRotation stores all the momentum information in its root folder. ModuleManager vacuums all these .cfg files into its config cache, which is completely unnecessary because the cache is meant for constant configs. Any change to these files forces ModuleManager to rebuild its cache on each game start. If you move the path for these momentum configs into the GameData/PersistentRotation/Plugins/PluginData folder MM will avoid caching them, this will speed up the game loading time for all the users.

Here's some relevant info from the MM thread:

Edited by Enceos
Thanks sarbian for correcting me

10 minutes ago, Enceos said:

If you move the path for these momentum configs into the GameData/Plugins/PluginData folder MM will avoid caching them, this will speed up the game loading time for all the users.

No. It s GameData/<ModFolder>/Plugins/PluginData

Technically, it is literally anything under a PluginData folder. You could write to GameData/PluginData/foo/PersistentRotation/baz and it would be fine, or GameData/PersistentRotation/PluginData/ which is probably saner.

@MarkusA380 would you feel comfortable with the 1.1 branch being on CKAN? I ask because it is still technically marked as a prerelease in your post, and the SpaceDock link (whence CKAN gets its versioning) is still for 1.0.5. Other than the above cfg-related stuff, which is neither here nor there, I have had no problems in 1.1, and I feel like others should be able to share that joy. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed that craft under assembly in KCT when a save is loaded do not have their rotation persisted. This isn't overly major, I can edit the craft and save without making changes and then rebuild them and they do persist the rotation then. If you want I will replicate and attach logs.