[1.8] PersistentRotation 1.8.6

MarkusA380

From quite some time I was experiencing a nasty bug, manifesting itself whenever my craft was destroyed into pieces of debris, i.e. ripped apart by aerodynamic forces or during failed landing attempt. What often happens afterwards is that remnants of said craft, instead of falling to the ground/water as they should, would keep flying with constant velocity, eventually leaving the atmosphere, and then start accelerating beyond the speed of light. The bug disappears when I remove Persistent Rotation from my KSP 1.1.3 setup (same thing was happening in 1.1.2). Aside from PR, my mod list consists of FAR, KJR, KCT, KAS, KIS and RT. Did something like this ever happen to anyone else?

13 hours ago, Sol Invictus said:

From quite some time I was experiencing a nasty bug, manifesting itself whenever my craft was destroyed into pieces of debris, i.e. ripped apart by aerodynamic forces or during failed landing attempt. What often happens afterwards is that remnants of said craft, instead of falling to the ground/water as they should, would keep flying with constant velocity, eventually leaving the atmosphere, and then start accelerating beyond the speed of light. The bug disappears when I remove Persistent Rotation from my KSP 1.1.3 setup (same thing was happening in 1.1.2). Aside from PR, my mod list consists of FAR, KJR, KCT, KAS, KIS and RT. Did something like this ever happen to anyone else?

Can you try to make it happen again and send me the KSP.log file afterwards?

Also, CKAN problems are fixed now.

I removed all mods apart from Persistent Rotation, Ferram Aerospace and Kerbal Engineer. I launched stock airplane from runway, and destroyed it by applying aerodynamic stresses to it. Then I started switching between individual pieces of debris, searching for one that would activate the bug. When I found it, it immediately started accelerating madly, leaving Kerbin system in mere seconds.

Here's my log file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3t2n0yhc0eiohx/KSP.log?dl=0

I will check few more times to see if this bug doesn't appear without Persistent Rotation mod installed.

Edited by Sol Invictus
link no longer directs to the right log file

2 hours ago, Sol Invictus said:

I removed all mods apart from Persistent Rotation, Ferram Aerospace and Kerbal Engineer. I launched stock airplane from runway, and destroyed it by applying aerodynamic stresses to it. Then I started switching between individual pieces of debris, searching for one that would activate the bug. When I found it, it immediately started accelerating madly, leaving Kerbin system in mere seconds.

Here's my log file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3t2n0yhc0eiohx/KSP.log?dl=0

I will check few more times to see if this bug doesn't appear without Persistent Rotation mod installed.

Hi.

If can help i have the same issue with only PersistentRotation1.4 installed.

Now i can't create KSP.log but the issue is very simple to recreate.

With PersistentRotation1.3 everything seems to work properly.

@MarkusA380

I reproduced the bug again, this time with PersistentRotation installed alone. I'm afraid I might have accidentaly replaced previous log with this one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3t2n0yhc0eiohx/KSP.log?dl=

I found this excemption related to PersistentRotation:

[EXC 15:17:01.736] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	PersistentRotation.Main.OnVesselWillDestroy (.Vessel vessel)
	EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data)
	Vessel.Die ()
	Part.Die ()
	Part.explode ()
	Part.HandleCollision (UnityEngine.Collision c)
	Part.CheckCollision (UnityEngine.Collision c)
	Part.OnCollisionEnter (UnityEngine.Collision c)

Can it be related to the problem?

Edited by Sol Invictus

Glad to see this mod rise once more.

@MarkusA380 I just have one main question/concern though:

Have we resolved a workaround during MechJeb maneuver executions? MechJeb's expectation of time warp to stop rotation was the main thing preventing me from going all in on PersistentRotation.

Even a temporary on/off toggle would be nice in order to let MechJeb do its thing.

5 hours ago, Skrypter said:

Glad to see this mod rise once more.

@MarkusA380 I just have one main question/concern though:

Have we resolved a workaround during MechJeb maneuver executions? MechJeb's expectation of time warp to stop rotation was the main thing preventing me from going all in on PersistentRotation.

Even a temporary on/off toggle would be nice in order to let MechJeb do its thing.

Set ship`s relative rotation to the Sun. Your ship will fillow maneuver node perfectly.

On 1.7.2016 at 8:32 PM, Sol Invictus said:

I experienced the same bug here. I deinstalled Persistant Rotation now, to make the game playable again. I have the feeling, that this also affects stages I discarded. It happened to me once, that one of my booster rockets fell to the ground rotationg laterally with ~10,000 rpm.

On 2.07.2016 at 2:32 PM, vagabond77 said:

Hi.

If can help i have the same issue with only PersistentRotation1.4 installed.

Now i can't create KSP.log but the issue is very simple to recreate.

With PersistentRotation1.3 everything seems to work properly.

7 hours ago, KSPanier said:

I experienced the same bug here. I deinstalled Persistant Rotation now, to make the game playable again. I have the feeling, that this also affects stages I discarded. It happened to me once, that one of my booster rockets fell to the ground rotationg laterally with ~10,000 rpm.

Thank god I'm not the only one with this problem. I really hope MarkusA380 does something about this, since I can't play KSP anymore without PersistentRotation.

8 hours ago, Dr Farnsworth said:

Awesome mod, however it is not playing nice with extraplanetary launchpads. 

Could you explain? Are you experiencing any exceptions or some othe misbehaviour? If so, could you send me a log file?

7 hours ago, MarkusA380 said:

Could you explain? Are you experiencing any exceptions or some othe misbehaviour? If so, could you send me a log file?

I just downloaded the newest version and it looks like everything is back to normal. Thank you for an awesome mod!

To clarify, the bug is/was related to the fact that EPL creates a vessel and destroys it in the same frame while loading before building. Persistent rotation seemed to not like this, and the result was that EPL couldn't load ships, and sometimes I'd get a phantom ship (of whatever I tried to load) showing up in the tracking station on an escape trajectory.

Edited by sadhfg

I have definitely witnessed a bug a couple times, but I have yet been able to reproduce it on command..   

When timewarping in low orbit holding SAS on prograde and PR set to default, at some point during the orbit the vessel will do a 360 flip.  Its harmless but funny, has to be cause by this mod.    

As soon as I narrow it down and figure out how to reproduce I will post again. 

3 hours ago, eberkain said:

I have definitely witnessed a bug a couple times, but I have yet been able to reproduce it on command..   

When timewarping in low orbit holding SAS on prograde and PR set to default, at some point during the orbit the vessel will do a 360 flip.  Its harmless but funny, has to be cause by this mod.    

As soon as I narrow it down and figure out how to reproduce I will post again. 

Yes I have heard about this. Seems like a problem with dividing by almost zero somewhere ^^

Lets assume I were to edit the cfg file to have absolute pinpoint orientation with a sattelite to the ground. 

How many game weeks, months..... years would it keep that orientation without havint to go edit again.

Or does this mod auto correct a vessels rpm and orientation in the background? Also on inactive vessels. If yes and yes then w0w. Superb, your the best.

Edited by Vaporized Steel

18 hours ago, Vaporized Steel said:

Lets assume I were to edit the cfg file to have absolute pinpoint orientation with a sattelite to the ground. 

How many game weeks, months..... years would it keep that orientation without havint to go edit again.

Or does this mod auto correct a vessels rpm and orientation in the background? Also on inactive vessels. If yes and yes then w0w. Superb, your the best.

Oh well, good question. When in Timewarp or while the vessel is unloaded, it should point exactly towards the reference. The same goes for normal off-rails behaviour. There might be a minor deviation when going off rails, because of the physics kicking in. But I don't think it would be noticeable. Try it out and let me know! :)

Edited by MarkusA380

I installed Persistant Rotation and then went to one of my interplanetary ships and set it to rotate relative to the sun. Now every ship I switch to or launch has the same setting by default and I keep having to disable Persistant Rotation everytime- even when switching back to crafts where I previously disabled it. Is this expected behavior? 

Edited by Sandriell

On 9.7.2016 at 7:32 AM, Sandriell said:

I installed Persistant Rotation and then went to one of my interplanetary ships and set it to rotate relative to the sun. Now every ship I switch to or launch has the same setting by default and I keep having to disable Persistant Rotation everytime- even when switching back to crafts where I previously disabled it. Is this expected behavior? 

Of course not. Could you send me a .log file? And all the PR cfg files, if possible?

1 hour ago, MarkusA380 said:

Of course not. Could you send me a .log file? And all the PR cfg files, if possible?

I had since uninstalled it cause it was making things unplayable, but I love the idea of the mod and would love for it to work, so I will reinstall it soon as I get a chance and get you that data asap. Would you like me to do anything specific before capturing the log file?