[1.8] PersistentRotation 1.8.6

MarkusA380

17 hours ago, Sandriell said:

I had since uninstalled it cause it was making things unplayable, but I love the idea of the mod and would love for it to work, so I will reinstall it soon as I get a chance and get you that data asap. Would you like me to do anything specific before capturing the log file?

Well... you made the bug happen, so you should know best how to recreate it :wink:

Anyway, I am glad you want to help.

Now i would love to use this so my craft wouldnt lose rotation when warping for my kOS scripts.

However it seems when i let the script engage/disengage sas and rcs it will not snap back in the right direction upon ending warp.

How is the mechanic here? Can i make that work?

I've got something very weird going on. Basically, I uninstalled the mod, and the following happened:

• Kerbals duplicated on re-entering a vehicle from IVA.
  • Quickloads going major kraken -- everything moved to the centre of the sun.
  • Other instabilities.

So, I reinstalled the mod, and these problems remained. So, as I luckily use a save back-up system, I restored an earlier save file that had never seen the game in a state where the mod was uninstalled. Still got the problems. This leads me to think that somehow the install had become corrupted, so I verified the files on Steam and it downloaded a couple. Tried again -- same problem. So maybe this has caused another mod to go weird or caused a problem with Module Manager?

The reason I believe that the problem was caused by this mod is just that there have been no other changes to my install. I played for a bit, closed the game, uninstalled the mod, opened the game and everything's gone haywire.

I can provide a log file, but it's four meg. What's the best way to send it if you need it?

Edited by cyberpunkdreams

@MarkusA380 I too have the issue where every new vessel launched defaults to relative rotation = on. Also I can't hide the window. I will try a clean reinstall of the mod in case some settings file got screwed.

Also, uh, Github shows 1.4 as the latest commit, but the OP has 1.5. Recompile for 1.1.3 only?

@MarkusA380 Hello to you, creator of one of the ESSENTIAL Mods for KSP :P I Cant imagine the game without it !!

Me, User of your ESSENTIAL mod and User of another IMPORTANT Mod would like to adress again the issue of PR -> EPL compatibility :D

I can reproduce this behavior consistently:

[EXC 17:13:04.909] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
        PersistentRotation.Main.OnVesselWillDestroy (.Vessel vessel)
        EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data)
        Vessel.Die ()
        ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.ExBuildControl.getBuildCost (.ConfigNode craft)
        ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.ExBuildControl.LoadCraft (System.String filename, System.String flagname)

This Exception is thrown when attempting to build a Ship using ExtraPlanetary Launchpads, the ship gets built immediately and shoots away from the launchpad at high speed, Removing PR and loading the Game with only EPL allows normal EPL behavior

EPL Author taniwha suggested you might take a look at it first or maybe have some insight from the top of your head on where/how a fix attempt could be made (or if at all possible)

The behavior is consistent not depending on the fact if the launchpad is in orbit or on the ground.

8 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@MarkusA380 I too have the issue where every new vessel launched defaults to relative rotation = on. Also I can't hide the window. I will try a clean reinstall of the mod in case some settings file got screwed.

Also, uh, Github shows 1.4 as the latest commit, but the OP has 1.5. Recompile for 1.1.3 only?

Well... Relative Rotion is on by default, that's what you guys wanted. But that's nothing new, actually.

As I see, a couple of you guys have some kind of problems. I will work on them as soon as possible, you should expect a new version coming up next Weekend.

Edited by MarkusA380

1 hour ago, NathanKell said:

Is there a way to change that default behavior? If that's as designed, it's working as designed, not a bug, I just want to disable the default. :]

I would like to have this choice too. Forgetting to change it to 'Deactivate' before launch can be a pain as it can completely mess up any early manoeuvres. Not game breaking but just a pain. Especially in RSS/RO when you're using very tight margins of RCS anyway. An option in the config file would be appreciated if it's possible :)

23 hours ago, ClLaw said:

I would like to have this choice too. Forgetting to change it to 'Deactivate' before launch can be a pain as it can completely mess up any early manoeuvres. Not game breaking but just a pain. Especially in RSS/RO when you're using very tight margins of RCS anyway. An option in the config file would be appreciated if it's possible :)

Will do. Some configurability is obviously necessary.

On 19.7.2016 at 9:03 PM, NathanKell said:

Uh...wait, now I'm confused. Who was asking for it to be on by default? Is there a way to change that default behavior? If that's as designed, it's working as designed, not a bug, I just want to disable the default. :]

Well there was quite a number of people asking me to have it on by default. I will make it configurable, its ok.

11 hours ago, blu3wolf said:

Yeah, its the case for me to have to keep turning it off before launch, lest my probes rotate themselves away from the sun.

I could of course add a selection wich Body (if any at all) to have as default reference. So you could set the default to Kerbol, so that your probes always face the same direction relative to it, even after half a celestial year. What about that?

Edited by MarkusA380

• 2 weeks later...

Can we get a way to temporarily disable this entirely in-game? the way mechjeb flicks around the craft to align them, then -instantly- time warping means that the craft always tumble, them MJ stops them to re-align again. rinse and repeat.

Edited by StickyScissors

I would just like to take a moment to commend the author(s) of this mod on how they implemented stopping the rotation using SAS and time warp in the new version. It took me a while to figure out what was going on because sometimes the craft would stop rotating when entering time warp and sometimes not. When I realized what was really going on (the ship only stops rotating if you are below a certain angular velocity) I thought that that was brilliant. Because this forces the player to use the fuel to slow the craft down while still keeping the option of getting the ship completely stationary, which would be very hard any other way.

Awesome work, you are amazing!

• 2 weeks later...

I have somewhat of an interesting question.

If I use this mod with KAS(kerbal attachment system), connect two objects in space with a winch, force them to spin and induce centripetal acceleration, and finally warp...

Will it:

-Break the winch connection?

-Break one or both of the ships?

-Preserve the rotation of the undocked ships somehow?

So beautiful the work of MarkusA380 is, the plugin does not unfortunately make substantial errors which a use for my purposes impossible. For the first works Persistant Rotation not in connection with MechJeb. Who does not believe me should try a "Rendezvous autopilot". Although Persistant rotation is off starts the selected object to rotate wildly and shaking mistaken about once AutoWarp is second finished times.
The second, essential "error" is the fact that the object orientation is not restored properly after a return to the ground station or another object if the inclination is greater than 0°.

• 3 weeks later...
On 18.8.2016 at 8:49 PM, Yagami007 said:

I have somewhat of an interesting question.

If I use this mod with KAS(kerbal attachment system), connect two objects in space with a winch, force them to spin and induce centripetal acceleration, and finally warp...

Will it:

-Break the winch connection?

-Break one or both of the ships?

-Preserve the rotation of the undocked ships somehow?

I am not sure. If the winch is, on the back end of the mod, like a docking port, and the two vessels are actually one, it should work without issues.

If the winch just applies a force on the two vessels, I believe they'd drift apart and spin while doing so, without the winch doing anything.

Dare to try it out? I am not on a decent rig right now, I can be happy to get KSP running on lowest settings in windowed mode.

On 19.8.2016 at 0:24 AM, hraban said:

So beautiful the work of MarkusA380 is, the plugin does not unfortunately make substantial errors which a use for my purposes impossible. For the first works Persistant Rotation not in connection with MechJeb. Who does not believe me should try a "Rendezvous autopilot". Although Persistant rotation is off starts the selected object to rotate wildly and shaking mistaken about once AutoWarp is second finished times.
The second, essential "error" is the fact that the object orientation is not restored properly after a return to the ground station or another object if the inclination is greater than 0°.

Both issues should now be resolved.

On 3.8.2016 at 1:26 PM, Warp11 said:

I would just like to take a moment to commend the author(s) of this mod on how they implemented stopping the rotation using SAS and time warp in the new version. It took me a while to figure out what was going on because sometimes the craft would stop rotating when entering time warp and sometimes not. When I realized what was really going on (the ship only stops rotating if you are below a certain angular velocity) I thought that that was brilliant. Because this forces the player to use the fuel to slow the craft down while still keeping the option of getting the ship completely stationary, which would be very hard any other way.

Awesome work, you are amazing!

Thank you very much!

On 1.8.2016 at 1:56 AM, baldamundo said:

Is there a way of making this work with things like MechJeb and RemoteTech's flight computer which disable SAS when active?

Afaik MechJeb should not deactivate SAS when warping.

Hello @MarkusA380,

Persistant Rotation works now well with MechJeb but then Axis-Rotation restore will not work.

Example: The Station EU1 is on a 52° inclination Orbit. The orientation of the Station is prograded. Persistant Rotation will be initiated on activ "Stability Assist" and "Current refference = KERBIN". Switch back to Space-Center, wait 3 hours and go back tu Station EU1. Now the Orientation differs by 40° from prograde.

42 minutes ago, hraban said:

Hello @MarkusA380,

Persistant Rotation works now well with MechJeb but then Axis-Rotation restore will not work.

Example: The Station EU1 is on a 52° inclination Orbit. The orientation of the Station is prograded. Persistant Rotation will be initiated on activ "Stability Assist" and "Current refference = KERBIN". Switch back to Space-Center, wait 3 hours and go back tu Station EU1. Now the Orientation differs by 40° from prograde.

I am not quite sure what you mean, let me restate what I have understood:

Your station is positioned in orbit around Kerbin, at a inclination that differs from 0° by quite a lot. It is oriented prograde, you have activated Persistent Rotation in "Rotation" mode, have set the reference to Kerbin and have SAS enabled. Now you leave the game scene and go to the space center, from where you timewarp a bit, only to retake control of the station. The station does now not have the same orientation anymore.

Ok. Here is a little checklist I kindly ask you to go through:

- If you have other mods installed, deactivate them for once and recreate the procedure from before. If it works now, please find the mod that causes the procedure to fail.

- Check the log file after experiencing the bug for exceptions. if you find any, let me know.

- Delete all cfg files in the PersistentRotation\PluginData folder. Retry the procedure.

- If no bullet point above yielded any information, please make a screenshot of the navball and the orbit before and after the procedure.

I know this takes a bit of time, but I would be really happy to get some help.

I, for myself, tested every case of orbital parameters, timewarps and scene changes imaginable and didn't run into any problems. That's why, with this problem, I am dependend on you, @hraban. :)

5 minutes ago, MarkusA380 said:

I am not quite sure what you mean, let me restate what I have understood:

Your station is positioned in orbit around Kerbin, at a inclination that differs from 0° by quite a lot. It is oriented prograde, you have activated Persistent Rotation in "Rotation" mode, have set the reference to Kerbin and have SAS enabled. Now you leave the game scene and go to the space center, from where you timewarp a bit, only to retake control of the station. The station does now not have the same orientation anymore.

Ok. Here is a little checklist I kindly ask you to go through:

- If you have other mods installed, deactivate them for once and recreate the procedure from before. If it works now, please find the mod that causes the procedure to fail.

- Check the log file after experiencing the bug for exceptions. if you find any, let me know.

- Delete all cfg files in the PersistentRotation\PluginData folder. Retry the procedure.

- If no bullet point above yielded any information, please make a screenshot of the navball and the orbit before and after the procedure.

I know this takes a bit of time, but I would be really happy to get some help.

I, for myself, tested every case of orbital parameters, timewarps and scene changes imaginable and didn't run into any problems. That's why, with this problem, I am dependend on you, @hraban. :)

The personal test is done in a clean install. Only Persistant Rotation and Mechjeb is installed.

On initiate Persistant Rotation i enable SAS and set the Orientation mode from "prograde" to "stability assist".