[1.8] PersistentRotation 1.8.6

MarkusA380

I think I've found a problem while coming out of warp when PR is disabled after having been enabled... It seems to reset a ship's rotation to pointing upwards (normal + on a standard LKO for example) upon coming out of warp, no matter which way the ship is facing before and during warp. It can even tear a large enough ship apart when it gets snapped into the new position.

Reproduction steps:

Have PR in dynamic mode
launch a ship into LKO, and set SAS to stability mode
disable PR, warp for a bit, then exit warp. The ship will suddenly snap to be pointing upwards.

5 hours ago, Skalou said:

ho Markus, there is probalby a bug with blizzy's toolbar (shown only whith contract configurator for me), it can apparently be easily solved:

thank you for this mod, it's great :wink:

The bug is not with toolbar but with 1.2 and wrappers or some such. This post from Nightingale better explains the issue: 

I have a ground base on Mun, which is being loaded in correct position, but before physics kicks in it becomes tilted some ~30 degrees sticking into the ground. Then it obviously explodes. I've removed what looked like a data section for this vessel from PersistentRotation/PluginData/PersistentRotation_careername_0.cfg, but nothing has changed besides rotation reference switched from Mun to None. I wonder PR has something to do with it, or it is a stock glitch.

...approached the base with another craft, it went fine.

...turns out it is Smoke screen or RealPlume related.

Edited by Psycho_zs

I am experiencing extreme forceful disassembly (we are talking about debris flying off at lightspeed) of my vessels in orbit on load, sometimes on vessel switch (from within and from outside of physics range).  Only other physics-related mod is KJR.

Removal or PR mod resolved the problem.

P.S. I see that it has already need reported...  PR in Dynamic mode for me.

P.P.S.  MJ...  1.1* version had a feature to stop PR when SAS was on during timewarp - it does not work in this version :(  Just adding this comment to confirm the info from the post below.

Edited by Tau137
More info

ive seen several posts about turning PR off but I can't seem to figure out how to do this and as it stands it appears PR is not compatible with the MechJeb autopilot. Every setting I've tried seems to give the same result, that being my craft swing back and forth through the maneuver node vector and have great difficulty actually settling on it, so that it's impossible to warp to the next maneuver node. Sometimes I can work around this by switching off the MJ autopilot, then using MJ to point to the maneuver node allowing it a good amount of time to settle, the switching the autopilot back on. Unfortunately this doesn't work when landing.

I'd like to be able to have this mod installed for use with keeping satellites pointed correctly and perhaps down the road with long duration burns using KSPI-E, but so far the interference with MJ operation Is significantly annoying that I've removed it from my mods.

Can anyone advise me how to turn PR off temporarily or otherwise configure it so that it doesn't interfere with the MJ autopilot?

On 10/29/2016 at 10:51 PM, schlosrat said:

ive seen several posts about turning PR off but I can't seem to figure out how to do this and as it stands it appears PR is not compatible with the MechJeb autopilot. Every setting I've tried seems to give the same result, that being my craft swing back and forth through the maneuver node vector and have great difficulty actually settling on it, so that it's impossible to warp to the next maneuver node. Sometimes I can work around this by switching off the MJ autopilot, then using MJ to point to the maneuver node allowing it a good amount of time to settle, the switching the autopilot back on. Unfortunately this doesn't work when landing.

I'd like to be able to have this mod installed for use with keeping satellites pointed correctly and perhaps down the road with long duration burns using KSPI-E, but so far the interference with MJ operation Is significantly annoying that I've removed it from my mods.

Can anyone advise me how to turn PR off temporarily or otherwise configure it so that it doesn't interfere with the MJ autopilot?

I too have unistalled PR due to this issue but I am playing RO/RSS in 1.1.3

@MarkusA380 I really love this mod. One of my favorite parts about it is that it helps keep my stations and larger craft correctly orientated. However, I also use Mechjeb for ascents and maneuvering, and while I see it mentioned that PR is compatible with Mechjeb, I'm still having issues. Namely, it seems that regardless of what settings I use, either in PR or Mechjeb, my craft will "hunt" when coming up on a maneuver. This causes the time warp to fluctuate wildly while it acquires the node, and then loses it as the time warp kicks back in. This occurs in all modes that set maneuvers. It's especially agitating during landing, when there can be hours between burns, and the hunting behavior essentially means time warp is useless.

I'm using the latest version of PR and the latest dev version of Mechjeb in a 1.2.1 install. Even on a clean install with just PR and Mechjeb this behavior exists. Here are logs from a test I did on a clean install.

11 hours ago, nebuchadnezzar said:

@MarkusA380 I really love this mod. One of my favorite parts about it is that it helps keep my stations and larger craft correctly orientated. However, I also use Mechjeb for ascents and maneuvering, and while I see it mentioned that PR is compatible with Mechjeb, I'm still having issues. Namely, it seems that regardless of what settings I use, either in PR or Mechjeb, my craft will "hunt" when coming up on a maneuver. This causes the time warp to fluctuate wildly while it acquires the node, and then loses it as the time warp kicks back in. This occurs in all modes that set maneuvers. It's especially agitating during landing, when there can be hours between burns, and the hunting behavior essentially means time warp is useless.

I'm using the latest version of PR and the latest dev version of Mechjeb in a 1.2.1 install. Even on a clean install with just PR and Mechjeb this behavior exists. Here are logs from a test I did on a clean install.

This is the same issue I was having with MJ + PR a few versions back.  You can say they are compatible, but you cant really play with using both because mechjeb relies on the craft not rotating during timewarp, which is the very thing the mod changes.  If PR had a simple on/off switch it would be fine, you could turn it off while doing maneuvers and then back on when you get done.

On 05/11/2016 at 0:38 PM, eberkain said:

This is the same issue I was having with MJ + PR a few versions back.  You can say they are compatible, but you cant really play with using both because mechjeb relies on the craft not rotating during timewarp, which is the very thing the mod changes.  If PR had a simple on/off switch it would be fine, you could turn it off while doing maneuvers and then back on when you get done.

I would LOVE having a way to completely turn it off for this. Unfortunately, I have to play without PR since I like to use MJ's maneuver planner...

• 1 month later...

PersistentRotation Version 1.8.3 released!

Hello everyone, long time no see.

I had some private health issues and also no nerve for this, but at least I updated it to the newest version of KSP, RemoteTech and MechJeb. Hope you like it, have fun rotating. :)

Regarding the MJ issues - I submitted a simple code change to the MJ project on git that makes MJ only enter warp once the rotation is below a certain minimum, ie. once the vessel has settled on the target.

It works quite beautifully in my dev build. Of course changing towards the target takes a bit longer now, somewhat dependent on the vessel. Then, once settled, MJ enters warp. If there was a little rotational momentum left and the warp is very long, then MJ might drop out of warp once the deviation is too large and resettle on the target. But this happens fairly rarely on in my game.

Let's hope it is included in the next MJ release.

17 minutes ago, OliverPA said:

Regarding the MJ issues - I submitted a simple code change to the MJ project on git that makes MJ only enter warp once the rotation is below a certain minimum, ie. once the vessel has settled on the target.

It works quite beautifully in my dev build. Of course changing towards the target takes a bit longer now, somewhat dependent on the vessel. Then, once settled, MJ enters warp. If there was a little rotational momentum left and the warp is very long, then MJ might drop out of warp once the deviation is too large and resettle on the target. But this happens fairly rarely on in my game.

Let's hope it is included in the next MJ release.

Let's hope so.

@MarkusA380

Hey, I noticed you added support for Remote Tech and wondered if you could do the same for KSPI-E / Persistent thrust

Specifically I'm looking for 2 kinds of functionalities which would help users with KSPI

persistent rotation aimed at prograde heading. This would help a lot for spiraling out of planetary system while at time warp. currently you can only persistent rotate in respect to planets

Secondly to help Beamed power transmission, it would be helpful if instead of rotating against the sun or planet, it would also be possible to persistently rotate following the orbit of a vessel. that way, a static receiver would be able to accurately rotate directly at a transmitting beamed power transmitter

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

@MarkusA380

Hey, I noticed you added support for Remote Tech and wondered if you could do the same for KSPI-E / Persistent thrust

Specifically I'm looking for 2 kinds of functionalities which would help users with KSPI

persistent rotation aimed at prograde heading. This would help a lot for spiraling out of planetary system while at time warp. currently you can only persistent rotate in respect to planets

Secondly to help Beamed power transmission, it would be helpful if instead of rotating against the sun or planet, it would also be possible to persistently rotate following the orbit of a vessel. that way, a static receiver would be able to accurately rotate directly at a transmitting beamed power transmitter

Hear, hear!

On 12/30/2016 at 1:30 PM, Agustin said:

Is this mod performance expensive? I would really love having this installed, but I can't get any less fps than I already have....

My system is not that great. This mod doesn't appreciably affect my performance at all.

On 22.3.2015 at 10:37 PM, 5thHorseman said:

@FreeThinker:

Rotating relativeley to another vessel does already work. Just select your desired vessel as target and press "Set" in the reference selection screen!

Also I don't know how to get rid of this quote.

Edited by MarkusA380

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Caelus5 said:

Anyone else having an issue where the GUI appears as a small box in the corner but without any buttons or interactivity?

@Caelus5 I used to have this issue myself and was caused by myself having wrong installation structure. Check your GameData/PersistentRotation folder and if there is another GameData/PeristentRotation folder in it you should take that back to Game/Data folder and end up something like this:

KSP Install Folder/GameData/PersistentRotation/ having Plugins & Textures folder in it.

Sorry if explained somewhat complex but hope you get it work! anyways if you see something like Source, GameData, .git etc. folders in that PersistentRotation Folder you're definitely having wrong installation structure :)

Edited by Murdox

12 minutes ago, Murdox said:

Sorry if explained somewhat complex but hope you get it work! anyways if you see something like Source, GameData, .git etc. folders in that PersistentRotation Folder you're definitely having wrong installation structure

Aha, I've gotten this issue in the past with an outdated version/incorrect install (nested files), but since I used CKAN this time I thought it couldn't be that, I'll try installing it manually then and putting the right folders in the right places!

It might be also wrong version or something else going on in that case, as i didn't except it was CKAN install. i have not had any issues using latest PersistentRotation with KSP 1.2.2 though. If it turns out CKAN related issue hope someone else can help you better than i do or try directly from CKAN thread :)

1 hour ago, Murdox said:

It might be also wrong version or something else going on in that case

Well manual install worked (just tested in game), and CKAN now sees it due to auto-detection, so whatever the problem was it's fixed now :confused: