[1.8] PersistentRotation 1.8.6

MarkusA380

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello dear author!

I am KSP players in China, is engaged in the process of workers, the I to your source code Interface. The cs for rewriting, increase the support of Localization, and upload the en - us. cfg and zh-cn.cfg. Upload to your GitHub, please check. I am a member of Black Domain Studio(BDS)!

THANKS!:):)@MarkusA380

Edited by DY_ZBX

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Akira_R said:

i see @FreeThinker said it appears to be compatible with 1.3 still, can any one else confirm this?

4 hours ago, Nightside said:

I believe it is listed as 1.3 compatible on Spacedock.

I can confirm, been using it on 1.3.0 since forever. Now that I notice that, as far as thread goes, it's listed as 1.2.2, I'll try it on the new 1.3.1 install later tonight

7 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

From my experience, anything that worked in 1.3 and does not crash in 1.3.1 will work

Hm, something crashed my install. I haven't looked through all the usual suspects, by I believe it's Custom Barn Kit.

I've heard that something changed in the games "Difficulty" settings menu, so mod that use that will break the game. I don't remember if Persistent rotation uses KSP settings or its own.

Sarbian's other mods haven't broken the game, for me so I would be surprised if CBK broke it (though I haven't tried it myself).

I would guess this mod need to be fixed and recompiled at some point.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone help me understand the information in the plugindata for persistent rotation? I've got a few spin stablised probes that don't have attitude control (RSS/RO) that due to a glitch are no longer spinning. I'm not really fussy about the specific orientation they're spinning at but having them stationary really bothers me. I've tried copying momentum/direction information from spinning probes, to the non-spinning probes and relaunching ksp but it doesn't seem to have an effect. What am I missing?

1 hour ago, Damien212 said:

Can anyone help me understand the information in the plugindata for persistent rotation? I've got a few spin stablised probes that don't have attitude control (RSS/RO) that due to a glitch are no longer spinning. I'm not really fussy about the specific orientation they're spinning at but having them stationary really bothers me. I've tried copying momentum/direction information from spinning probes, to the non-spinning probes and relaunching ksp but it doesn't seem to have an effect. What am I missing?

I haven't looked at my stuff for what seems like ages, but the files generated all have a timestamp. You need to use the file with the latest timestamp to have PR use the data. Also, Momentum Mode needs to be active for the vessels, otherwise it will not work. This is also a setting found in the .cfg files. Are you sure you copied the data to the correct vessel id? I don't see a simple way to find out which vessel belongs to which id...

4 hours ago, MarkusA380 said:

I haven't looked at my stuff for what seems like ages, but the files generated all have a timestamp. You need to use the file with the latest timestamp to have PR use the data. Also, Momentum Mode needs to be active for the vessels, otherwise it will not work. This is also a setting found in the .cfg files. Are you sure you copied the data to the correct vessel id? I don't see a simple way to find out which vessel belongs to which id...

I cross referenced the vessel ID in PR with the ID for the craft in the save file. What I think happened was somehow while trying to document a bug with another mod, the act of repeatedly quicksaving and reverting led to something going wrong with the plugindata (the incremental plugindata configs were all gone apart from two new ones that had been created after the error occurred). I pulled the plugindata files from a backup I had and this fixed the majority of them but obviously not any vessels launched after the backup date. I tried copying the vessel momentum/direction information from a probe that was spinning correctly into the ones that weren't and had 0,0,0 values but it didn't help.

None of these vessels have SAS enabled or any form of attitude correction. They're spin stablised during launch and just carry on spinning.

It's not a massive issue if they can't be manually spun up by editing the configs. It's mainly a visual thing but I've just gotten used to seeing them spinning away forever so it feels wrong now they're not.

Thanks for making the mod btw, it's one of those mods that you had no idea was missing until you had it and then can't live without. :)

Edited by Damien212

• 2 weeks later...

It mostly seems to work, though once or twice I've had a craft get "stuck" and self-destruct when starting/stopping warp. 

It's really nice to not have all of the spin magically disappear on warp (and admit I have fully taken advantage of this in the past).

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

I am playing with KSP 1.3.1 and using this mod (version 1.8.4). I had a ship of mine teared apart 3-4 times by the kranen if, and only if, this mod is installed.

I am playing an heavily modded game (about 100 mods), so bug reporting for me is a bit problematic (unless you don't accept a bug report from an heavily modded game).

Anyhow my questions are:

• Is this mod still actively developed?
  • Has it any meaning to report this bug even if the mod is not developed?
  • Can I report the bug even if in a non-vanilla heavily-modded game (the ship contains parts from many other mods)?

Thank you

I discontinued working on this mod quite some time ago.

A heavily modded game tends to break, especially if you have other mods that influence physics installed. Patching this edge case it is more or less impossible with the limited amount of time I am willing to put into it.

Hope you can do without PR, too.

3 minutes ago, MarkusA380 said:

I discontinued working on this mod quite some time ago.

A heavily modded game tends to break, especially if you have other mods that influence physics installed. Patching this edge case it is more or less impossible with the limited amount of time I am willing to put into it.

Hope you can do without PR, too.

Thank you for the quick answer. I hope that this mod will get "continued" by someone else. I really think (as a physicist) that it is a wonderful little mod. Thank you again for the mod and for the answer.

Edited by LastStarDust

25 minutes ago, LastStarDust said:

While we are at it, is the angle with respect to a certain body held fixed only if there is at least a RCS module on the ship? Does the mod check for RCS fuel etc?

As far as I remember relative rotation will work if the vessel is controllable (has a probe core or crew, electricity) and if it isn't or almost isn't spinning.

It does not check for fuel or reaction wheels.

18 minutes ago, MarkusA380 said:

As far as I remember relative rotation will work if the vessel is controllable (has a probe core or crew, electricity) and if it isn't or almost isn't spinning.

It does not check for fuel or reaction wheels.

So for another ship the mod is not working properly ... that's a pity.

The ship was built with Extraplanetary Launchpads ... I wonder if that may be the problem. Anyway ... thank you for the answer

Edited by LastStarDust

On 1/9/2018 at 9:24 PM, LastStarDust said:

Thank you for the quick answer. I hope that this mod will get "continued" by someone else. I really think (as a physicist) that it is a wonderful little mod. Thank you again for the mod and for the answer.

You could look at this mod

I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but from the description it might be a "good enough" replacement.

9 hours ago, LastStarDust said:

Thank you very much. Do you know if using that mod I would be able, for example, to keep my ship always pointed prograde while I orbit a planet under time warp?

No idea. As stated, I haven't had time to play with it active yet, so I can only go by the description provided. Maybe ask in that discussion.

10 hours ago, LastStarDust said:

Do you know if using that mod I would be able, for example, to keep my ship always pointed prograde while I orbit a planet under time warp?

it's right there in the OP for the mod:

SAS autopilot persistence trough timewarp and reloading