The 'new forum' is a joke.

Robotengineer

So, now that the cat is out of the bag on the early April fools joke, I'd like to provide a little context. I think to start I'll quote a reply I wrote to someone who messaged me about this.

After the first reactions came I realised that people actually thought it'd be possible that a company in the games industry would in fact do something along these lines, and that's a sad realisation. However, I understand that when the April 1st reference isn't immediately clear then of course this announcement becomes a ridiculous proposition. I do hope that most people realised that Squad would never do this sort of a thing, and that we support our community, and like I said in the private message I hope we can all look back at this, and realise that perhaps we can hit that donate button for our favorite mod or YouTube channel :)

In light of the easy confusion I've added a small print to the announcement post and removed it from the articles.

P.S.

We do plan to update the forums in the future, as we discussed in the devnotes a while ago. That's still very much a thing but of course we'd be looking to improve the community, rather than to destroy it.

P.P.S.

vent all you wish :)

Yes, thats true. While I expect it possible for a company to do that, do notice I will abandon ship at first opportunity and boycott the company in question to the end of time.

EA is currently under this, and the entire genre of early access.

Pretty much the most likely to do this... I believe KSP is the only EA title I ever bought. Not a decision I regret in any way... luckily.

...but still. If this had gone through coupled with Curse, a rushed 1.0 and a halt in development for KSP, a release of a new game would still be enough to make me hate Squad for all eternity. I will not stop hoping all will go well though.

- - - Updated - - -

AAAaaaaaaha! Now I get it!!! SQUAD's "we're uncomfortable with being in EA, so we're releasing 1.0 ASAP with heaps of new features without proper beta, grindy science and career and nothing to do on planets" is obviously also an April fools joke that they thought of late last year. Good one SQUAD! it was even more ridiculous than this new forum joke by Kasper.

Cant wait for 0.91 (or 0.27 actually) in April :rolleyes:

It all makes sense now.

Edited by Aerolfos

I know this is a joke, guys, but serously...

...THIS IS PLAIN CRUEL.

I am not laughing here. I was extremely worried reading that post. The first thing I did? Come to this forum to complain! I'm sorry, but shame on you Squad. Never have I been so concerned about this community than when I read that post.

This was pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

Reprhase that to "like any Sane person will never do an April Fools in March".

I think it was less of an april fools joke and just a joke using april fools as an indicator it could be a joke. (In case the ludicrous "improvements" didn't tip you off first)

I think it was less of an april fools joke and just a joke using april fools as an indicator it could be a joke. (In case the ludicrous "improvements" didn't tip you off first)

It simply made my alarm bells of "Boycott this company and alarm the world as far as my puny powers of being unknown go". Yes, the world of games is a bad place nowadays.

It simply made my alarm bells of "Boycott this company and alarm the world as far as my puny powers of being unknown go". Yes, the world of games is a bad place nowadays.

What else can I say than this? Pretty much 99.99% of why I got so upset.

Thanks for the great prank squad, and yes, i mean it. All the dramaqueens here provided the laughs that your a little off timing lacked to deliver. :)

Tldr: very funny, thank you ;)

Edited by smart013

The really scary thing is that some people read the post and immediately went to another forum to post about it (like I almost did). The people on that forum probably have no idea that this isn't real and will further propagate misinformation.

Had this been posted on April 1st, it would have "gotten" people and been relatively harmless. But because it's 12 days (2 days shy of 2 weeks) early, those connections aren't going to be made and Squad will have to do damage control something fierce.

I think the reason people got so upset and believed it is because of two reasons. The Curse mod hosting deal and the fact that .23.5 was released on April 1st. So the community doesn't trust Squad with community websites and hosting, and they don't think it's an April fools day joke because a previous release wasn't. (I don't know about April fools day jokes prior to 2014, I wasn't a community member then.)

I was taken in at first, but then I started giggling when I saw the idea about "Walt Kerman," and remembered the days of "Clippy" in Microsoft Word.

I see you're writing a letter...

I see you're building a rocket. Would you like some help?

No.

Alright. I can see you've got it all under control. Just remember, the pointy end goes up.

Thanks, Walt.

-ten minutes later-

I see you're trying to add struts. Would you like some help.

Waaaaaaaaaaaalt!