Fastest small step for a Kerbal

How fast can you get a Kerbal from the launchpad to the surface of another planet?

Now closed until after 1.0.

A few details:

1. The challenge clock starts when the mission timer starts i.e. when you launch from the KSC (which is the only place you may launch from).

2. The challenge clock stops when your Kerbal is ready to set foot on the surface of another planet.

3. You need to provide at least a launch, two orbit and one landing screenshot, showing the mission timer in each. Along with some information on how you made the journey (bonus kudos for near-death experiences).

A few rules:

1. Stock only. No physics changing, part size changing or non-stock-part mods.

2. Mechjeb and Engineer Redux are fine.

3. No Hyperedit!

4. One craft only i.e. no picking up parts or transferring to another craft along the way.

5. Your Kerbal must make the whole journey in a capsule, getting out only to set foot on another world.

6. Crash landings are fine, even encouraged, as long as the capsule is in one piece and your Kerbal can exit the capsule.

7. No physics exploits e.g. Kraken drives, etc.

The winners:

The fastest mission for each planet where you put a living Kerbal on the surface.

Make it so!

======

Leader board:

Duna

Aphobius - 7d, 2:12:35 (ion)

purpleivan 16d, 01:12:0 (rocket)

Kelderek -16d, 03:35:0 (rocket)

Starhawk - 23d, 04:35:1 (rocket)

Foxster - 32d, 05:27:27

Kuzzter - 34d, 04:46:12

Starhawk - 34d, 04:51:08

Foxster - 1y, 36d, 04:52:48

Eve

Foxster - 6d, 04:29:14 (nuclear)

purpleivan 9d, 02:02:58 (rocket)

Kelderek - 9d, 04:17:56 (rocket)

Kuzzter - 14d, 05:47:48

noorm - 39d, 02:56:31

FlipNascar - 52d, 00:23:24

rudi1291 - 165d, 02:09:00

Moho

PLAD - 33d, 03:17:08 (rocket + nuclear)

Foxster - 39d, 02:31:33 (nuclear)

Dres

Foxster - 171d, 01:28:02 (nuclear)

Jool (The fastest to achieve a Pe and Ap 200km+/-50km orbit)

Foxster - 45d 03:18:59 (rocket>nuclear>ion>rocket)

Foxster - 64d, 05:04:5 (nuclear)

Norcalplanner - 82d, 02:07:22 (nuclear)

rudi1291 - 3y, 194d, 00:12:30

Eeloo

nightingale - 294d, 00:36:22

The moons

Mun

PLAD - 00:33:51

purpleivan - 00:37:24

hoiho - 00:46:53

TC One - 00:58:42

Edited by Foxster

Here's a Duna attempt to get things started:

2TXrDtD.jpg

Vcs9cLK.png

GxqC77Z.png

FwlgEMb.png

1hPEq8N.png

- - - Updated - - -

So I'm guessing a direct 'launch to SOI intercept' route to Eve will be the winner.

I use FAR and DRE so I'll not be entering as I'd just burn up...

I'm interested in seeing the way the winners do it though.

I'd be happy to make a FAR leader board if you'd like?

Edited by Foxster

So i landed on Eve...

McUBub3.jpg

Rocket on launchpad. Maybe to much...

iHLq3rN.jpg

In orbit

gG8hmHS.jpg

Burning through the atmosphere might be not the best idea

najJ3Yx.jpg

But it worked, theres Eve

8634bJk.jpg

SMjHONW.jpg

Looks really cool

nQ3KPkp.jpg

Touchdown. Well, upside down, but that happens :)

5GisP2l.jpg

And look, there´s the pilot

I just made Duna's surface in 34d 4:51:08.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

It's really all about delta-v. With 10000 m/s delta-v rather than 6000, the trip could be cut to about 23 days. Even going that fast, I imagine Duna's atmo could still capture you.

I got pretty worried over Duna's south polar area since I was coming in so low. It looked like I was going to smack into one of those mountains. It probably wasn't as close as it looked, but it seemed like I missed it by only a couple of hundred metres.

Happy landings!

Edited by Starhawk

I just made Duna's surface in 34d 4:51:08.

It's really all about delta-v. With 10000 m/s delta-v rather than 6000, the trip could be cut to about 23 days. Even going that fast, I imagine Duna's atmo could still capture you.

I got pretty worried over Duna's south polar area since I was coming in so low. It looked like I was going to smack into one on those mountains. It probably wasn't as close as it looked, but it seemed like I missed it by only a couple of hundred metres.

Happy landings!

Nice job! To the top of leaderboard for Duna you go.

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose I'd better try to beat Starhawk.

15,371 dV at launch and trying for the closest approach.

Got really scary ballsing into Duna at 8000m/s and a periapsis of 2km! But the atmosphere braking and hanging onto the 2nd stage going full throttle until the last moment meant it was actually a fairly undramatic landing in the end. Mind you, Jeb needs a change of underwear!

32d, 05:27:27.

PDsfsGk.jpg

MUUiHtK.jpg

RCkAeMh.jpg

LkrRKoj.png

dN83A1m.png

- - - Updated - - -

awww, so no love for external seats? =(

Nah - that's no way to travel somewhere.

I will be challenging the duna time.

Bring it on!

Haven't been to Eve and seeing as it's snowing today, why not do some KSP challenges...

So as for the time: From launchpad to EVA and back into the capsule - 52d 23m 24s. Could do it quicker with the same craft if I used a better launch window and no reserve delta-v for adjustments. Admittedly, I feel like I abused the physics by subjecting poor ol' Jeb to 56G. Original "intercept" was going to give him 100+! So I was kinda nice to him?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Duna

Foxster - 32d, 05:27:27

Starhawk - 34d, 4:51:08

Foxster - 1y, 36d, 04:52:48

things are getting interesting.

Question: are you guys purely aerobraking or do you have to thrust backwards in order to not fling out of duna's SOI?

I got a ship that can do the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs, i'm just having a hard time bulls-eying duna now.

are you guys aiming straight at duna, in front of it or behind it?

Question: are you guys purely aerobraking or do you have to thrust backwards in order to not fling out of duna's SOI?

I used pure aerocapture. Thrust was just for the last few seconds of landing.

I found the transfer window I wanted, launched, set up a maneuver node and tweaked it until I had an encounter. One correction burn early in the IP phase, and one small correction just after entering Duna's SOI.

I'll have to start warming up my next Duna entry. I hope to retake top spot on the Duna leaderboard later today.

Happy landings!

I went to EVE!!!

That's one funky lifter, noorm.

Screenshots are bit small for me to be certain. What was your time to Eve?

- - - Updated - - -

things are getting interesting.

I got a ship that can do the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs, i'm just having a hard time bulls-eying duna now.

I got to Duna's SOI with the shortest journey I could find, which meant coming in really hot. Didn't have the dV for any kind of orbit so just set the Pe at a couple of km and went for it. All the aerobraking happened right at the end, assisted by a fat engine full on retro. Detached the lander at the last minute and put it down. Got lucky and did it in one, doubt I'd be quite so lucky again.

Screenshots are bit small for me to be certain. What was your time to Eve?

There's a gear in the top right corner to open the full resolution image! 39d, 02:56:31 to touch down... a few more seconds to get out of the capsule (I think I ran out of battery will trying to rotate the hatch on top)

There's a gear in the top right corner to open the full resolution image! 39d, 02:56:31 to touch down... a few more seconds to get out of the capsule (I think I ran out of battery will trying to rotate the hatch on top)
Ah, yes, got it.

Well done. You are the current Eve champ!

i think, since one of the objectives is to keep our little kerbal friend alive, Laythe would be the optimal place to aim for when going for Jool.

Kerbals on EVA can survive the kraken, according to the wiki and this video by someone else:

yeah, but it's kinda hit or miss, and i'm not certain you can do it anymore in 0.9. That video's 2+ years old.

Yeah, you can't do it anymore, you get to -250m and then you just explode. I've tried quite a bit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.