Fastest small step for a Kerbal

Is taking off from Minmus (via EPL) and using infinite EVA fuel allowed?

No, lets keep a level playing field here.

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt using alt-f12 is allowed. On that note, are Kraken drives allowed?

No, that's not really in the spirit of things. This challenge is mostly about building a good ship and knowing a little orbital mechanics so you can plot a good transfer.

- - - Updated - - -

The OP doesn't specifically state that we MUST take off from Kerbin

I kinda did:

1. The challenge clock starts when the mission timer starts i.e. when you launch from the KSC

I just made Duna's surface in 23d 4:35:16.

So, I started in about a 96km orbit to avoid burning into Kerbin's atmo. I had a lower TWR and 40% more delta-v to achieve than on my first attempt.

The burn took about 10000 m/s delta-v. I had to make a correction burn during the IP phase once again, and another small correction inside Duna's SOI.

Had an Ike flyby to add some interest, and hit Duna's atmo doing over 13km/s. As in my first attempt, I didn't even consider making orbit at Duna, just went straight into aerobraking and landing.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

@Slashy - I guess we'll need a cheater's scoreboard now.:)

Happy landings!

Edited by Starhawk

The burn took about 10000 m/s delta-v.

damn. i was aiming for 29 days. i seriously don't think i have the know-how to get it to 23. Congratulations and i hate you! =P

Edited by hobbez

The burn took about 10000 m/s delta-v.

Will post pics later...

@Slashy - I guess we'll need a cheater's scoreboard now.:)

Happy landings!

I loves a challenge :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

I may as well submit my old Krak Badger. The rules didn't say anything about physics exploits

Nope. Sorry. Aint gonna count that.

damn. i was aiming for 29 days. i seriously don't think i have the know-how to get it to 23. Congratulations and i hate you! =P

As I said in the post for my first entry, it's really all about delta-v. Well, that and transfer windows. You have to burn at the right moment, of course.

And as far as delta-v goes, the diminishing returns begin to hit pretty hard past 10000 m/s. Still, as long as the atmo at your destination can capture you, even higher velocities, and shorter trips are definitely possible. How big a rocket do you want to make?

Happy landings!

So i aimed for Duna aswell...

but suddenly Jool happened

After launch, i got a Duna Close Approach. But because im a noob and the interplanetary transfers for this challenge are the first i´ve done in KSP so far, i was unable to get an encounter, and kept burning

Maybe this is not the best time, and maybe the orbit is not exactly 200x200 :D, but at least i managed it to get to Jool :). And i have enough fuel left to circularize further if needed...

So i aimed for Duna aswell...

but suddenly Jool happened

After launch, i got a Duna Close Approach. But because im a noob and the interplanetary transfers for this challenge are the first i´ve done in KSP so far, i was unable to get an encounter, and kept burning

Maybe this is not the best time, and maybe the orbit is not exactly 200x200 :D, but at least i managed it to get to Jool :). And i have enough fuel left to circularize further if needed...

What Pe and Ap did you end with there, rudi?

A little surprise from God of Kerbal.

I was too lazy to properly edit it, I just speed it up to 10x.

I guess the time is 7d 2:12:35.

You, my friend, are a steely-eyed missile man!

As was said before, the secret is lots and lots of dV so that you can take the shortest and quickest route. Looked like you were running the ion engine for pretty much the whole journey.

What was your dV total?

To the top of the Duna board for you.

As was said before, the secret is lots and lots of dV

Yup, that it is. That record sure took some dedication. Over 6 hours of play time!

You can sure see the diminishing returns clearly, though.

6000 m/s 35 days

10000 m/s 23 days

60000 m/s 7 days

The pictures for my second attempt have been up for a while back on page 3. Not that it really matters now.

I certainly don't have the patience/KSP time to try beating the new record.

Thanks for the challenge, and happy landings!

I realized that for the past 5 months or so I've spent so much time working on mods that I've barely played Kerbal Space Program at all. This challenged seemed like the ideal break. But I didn't want to get into all the 60 km/s Duna insanity. So I decided to go for a planet with a little less... atmosphere.

The goal was to get to Eeloo in less than 300 days. I made it, but I may have slightly bent one of the rules (would it be Kerbal otherwise?). Foxster, I'll need your judgement call on whether my entry still qualifies, being in the spirit of the challenge. Let's just say I'm glad that the EVA pack has about 500 m/s of delta-v in it...

Read on for my journey to Eeloo, and don't mind the occasional plug for my mods.

I also forgot that the mission timer would reset when Jeb left the capsule, so here's my estimated mission time:

294d 00:30:23
- Time of last screenshot (143,354m @ 706.9 m/s)

00:01:06 -
(46,500 m) / (706.9 m/s) - Estimated time passed between last screenshot to Jeb exiting the capsule.

00:04:53
- Jeb's mission timer after landing.

Total: 294d 00:36:22

I realized that for the past 5 months or so I've spent so much time working on mods that I've barely played Kerbal Space Program at all. This challenged seemed like the ideal break. But I didn't want to get into all the 60 km/s Duna insanity. So I decided to go for a planet with a little less... atmosphere.

The goal was to get to Eeloo in less than 300 days. I made it, but I may have slightly bent one of the rules (would it be Kerbal otherwise?). Foxster, I'll need your judgement call on whether my entry still qualifies, being in the spirit of the challenge. Let's just say I'm glad that the EVA pack has about 500 m/s of delta-v in it...

Read on for my journey to Eeloo, and don't mind the occasional plug for my mods.

I also forgot that the mission timer would reset when Jeb left the capsule, so here's my estimated mission time:

294d 00:30:23
- Time of last screenshot (143,354m @ 706.9 m/s)

00:01:06 -
(46,500 m) / (706.9 m/s) - Estimated time passed between last screenshot to Jeb exiting the capsule.

00:04:53
- Jeb's mission timer after landing.

Total: 294d 00:36:22

Umm, was a slight bending of the rules wasn't it? Tell you what, you can be leader until someone does Eeloo completely by the rules :wink:.

Gotta say though that that was a pretty impressive mission. Especially the daring-do of using facial braking.

I personally like proper spaceships rather them fancy ion thingies.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, that it is. That record sure took some dedication. Over 6 hours of play time!

You can sure see the diminishing returns clearly, though.

6000 m/s 35 days

10000 m/s 23 days

60000 m/s 7 days

The pictures for my second attempt have been up for a while back on page 3. Not that it really matters now.

I certainly don't have the patience/KSP time to try beating the new record.

Thanks for the challenge, and happy landings!

Ah, sorry. I missed the pictures going up.

Its still the best time with a proper rocket!

After raising the Pe above the atmosphere, it was 139km x 356km. KSC still says its suborbital but according to the wiki it should be safe

Edit: after two orbits ;)

Good job, rudi! Onto the top of the Jool board you go.

Next time try to make a PROPER challenge with PROPER rules if you don't like IMPROPER rockets.

How about next time you learn some manners? You come across as a precocious brat - what are you, 8 years old?

We were sharing some grown up humour, not criticising. When you are older you'll understand the difference.

You should learn some manners, you've posted your challenge and after people participate in it, you start complaining that they are not using "proper rockets".

It's not like I've used some unheard of exploit, like finding the kraken drive for the first time and you couldn't have thought about it before, to disallow it in the rules. For any triple digit IQ person it's obvious that ion engines are the best for this challenge, you could have disallowed them in the rules if you didn't liked them. But since you didn't, it's very impolite (since you were talking about manners) to start complaining about people's entries and trying to make them look like lesser entries, after they've spent their time to compete in your challenge and followed all the rules.

PS: Maybe you just didn't knew how else to call the conventional rockets, so you just said "proper". My English is not very good, but I'm pretty sure that "improper" (as opposed to "proper") has a derogatory meaning. If you would have said something like "conventional rockets", I wouldn't have got offended.

Putting someone down by positing that they are a child? What are you, 10 years old?

You implied that his effort was not a "proper" rocket, even though it didn't break or even (IMO) bend any of the rules, and it came off more as dismissive and belittling than humorous. I would have been offended too if I was in his position, as he clearly put in a good amount of work to build and fly that mission.

Gentlemen, before this gets any sillier on what is usually a civilized board, can I point out what I said about the submission:

"You, my friend, are a steely-eyed missile man!...To the top of the Duna board for you".

Not one word of criticism or suggestion that the submission was any better or worse for using ion engines. As I hope you can tell by my enthusiastic response, I was impressed by the craft and the flying.

Any other comments were made in jest and if they annoy you then there are many other fine threads out there worthy of your attention that I'm sure you will enjoy more.

Oh, and to show I have nothing against anyone's favorite engine, here is a combined rocket, nuclear and ion ship I currently have in flight...

JkI1GUi.png

Edited by Foxster

I MADE IT TO JOOL IN 88 DAYS! THEN LAYTHE ON THE SAME!

I learned the hard way you can't land there, & thusly went for laythe. I went home but said "screw it, I have an Eve encounter coming up (for the third time) & thusly landed on there, too. I have yet to go other places.

(It was supposed to be in 80 days, I tried for 79, but I forgot about the time it takes to fall.)

I have pictures of everything, but it doesn't let me post attachments so I have to email them.

I have so far landed on Dres, too! In 79 days this time!

Pics emailable!

Edited by AlextheBodacious

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.