[1.2.2] Contract Pack: Bases and Stations 3.6.1 (30/04/2017) (formerly Kerbin Space Station)

severedsolo

I have an issue with the "Scout for a suitable location to build a base" contract. I found out that as long as I land on the target world, then switch to a rover on a completely different world, the countdown will start. I don't know what this does to the resultant base-building contract; I got spooked and reloaded.

11 minutes ago, Spheniscine said:

I have an issue with the "Scout for a suitable location to build a base" contract. I found out that as long as I land on the target world, then switch to a rover on a completely different world, the countdown will start.

Closed the brace too early. Thanks for that.

I don't know what this does to the resultant base-building contract; I got spooked and reloaded.

It would lock the scout vehicle to the first vessel which landed on the target body (which is bad, because it might not be the one you want. Which is why you need to set it to a rover in the first place).

Bases and Stations 3.5.1 Released!

• Fixed issue where BaseRover would complete early under specific circumstances (thanks @Spheniscine)

Note: Release has not been tested for validation errors, but I only moved one brace, so I assume it will be fine.

Edited by severedsolo

One more potential tweak - I have a scanning sat (ScanSat mod parts) in orbit of Mun and Minmus, with the high-resolution scanner active and 100% complete.  I get continual contract pops to scan the surface for potential base sites, which immediately complete and re-pop. I could abuse this for continuous funds.

I'm assuming this contract comes from here, not from ScanSat?

33 minutes ago, fourfa said:

I get continual contract pops to scan the surface for potential base sites, which immediately complete and re-pop. I could abuse this for continuous funds.

No idea why that's popping up, it's supposed to filter out bodies that have more than 80% coverage. Maybe CC isn't always getting 100% accurate coverage readouts from SCANSat when the Data node is calculated. Paging @nightingale for that one.

I've noticed sometimes Data Nodes are returning values when they shouldn't, but it's random and I can't make it happen when I want to, so can't report it as a CC bug.

In the meantime though I'll add an explicit SCANSat coverage requirement which should at least drop the contract again if it generates by mistake. About as much as I can do from my end.

Contract Pack: Bases and Stations 3.5.2 Released

• BaseScan will now double check SCANSat coverage before generating.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the reward for the "scan for location for new base" needs to be higher with SCANSat installed. I got one for Minmus with only 25,515 reward; the SAR alone costs 25,000 (expensive equipment!). By contrast, SCANSat's own contracts gives about 80,000 to do a SAR scan for Kerbin.

Edited by Spheniscine

11 hours ago, Spheniscine said:

I think the reward for the "scan for location for new base" needs to be higher with SCANSat installed. I got one for Minmus with only 25,515 reward; the SAR alone costs 25,000 (expensive equipment!). By contrast, SCANSat's own contracts gives about 80,000 to do a SAR scan for Kerbin.

Agreed that does seem a little low. Was it a single-purpose launch? If so, how much did the whole rocket (including launcher) cost you?

Maybe this is just me, but I always thought of those missions as an "investment" of sorts. You might not make a profit on the scan, but you do it in the hopes of profit once you have a base established.

Having said that, there are two factors that influence my view here: 1) I always scan every body I visit regardless, so any funds I get are a bonus, and 2) I usually double-dip and accept the SCANsat contract as well as the Bases and Stations one. :P 

I guess all I'm saying is, if you decide that the reward should be increased (which is fair) I wouldn't necessarily worry about making it so that you make a decent profit on the contract, as long as the missions down the line are profitable. Does that make sense?

2 hours ago, Merkov said:

I guess all I'm saying is, if you decide that the reward should be increased (which is fair) I wouldn't necessarily worry about making it so that you make a decent profit on the contract, as long as the missions down the line are profitable. Does that make sense?

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I'm not bothered about making a profit on that one, as it's part of a chain, but I do want it to cover launch costs (hence why I asked for a figure - I'm not that far in my own game, and I'm probably not going to play KSP for a little while, I just picked up Empyrion in the steam sale and am really enjoying it). The base figures are somewhere between 16k and 24k (plus multipliers).

I am planning to re-visit the base stuff anyway - alot of it is a hangover from when it was part of Base Construction (I basically took that pack, and re-wrote some of the technical stuff to make it easier to maintain, the rewards and things are still from that pack). For one thing, I plan to extend the landing distances, so you can land anywhere in physics range.

10 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Agreed that does seem a little low. Was it a single-purpose launch? If so, how much did the whole rocket (including launcher) cost you?

I dunno, I haven't built it yet, and my career is somewhat heavily modded, using Sigma Dimensions to scale planet sizes and distances to double and also heavy use of Procedural Parts and Tweakscale. I don't expect it to cost much more than 35k (10k more than the SAR) though, given that it is after all just a probe.

Edited by Spheniscine

57 minutes ago, SmashBrown said:

Save game compatible? Couldnt see it in the OP.

From what I understand, existing bases and stations that you may have already built will be detected if you make sure to label them correctly (using Rename Vessel or doubleclicking the name in the info tab in the Tracking Station, then making sure the icon is set to station / base)

Just now, Spheniscine said:

From what I understand, existing bases and stations that you may have already built will be detected if you make sure to label them correctly (using Rename Vessel or doubleclicking the name in the info tab in the Tracking Station, then making sure the icon is set to station / base)

thank you

15 hours ago, severedsolo said:

In a (somewhat) stock solar system, I'd put a base rocket to Minmus at 25-35k plus the cost of any instruments.  However, given the time needed, you may want to bump it up even a bit more to maybe have a base of 60-75k if it's only 15-20k now.  

That might be on the high side?

20 minutes ago, SmashBrown said:

Just another question to add @severedsolo before I drop this into my game, I already have a couple of contracts to send up stations, is this going to conflict in anyway?

Probably. It disables the stock station contracts. I think they will probably get silently dropped, but you may have to pay the failure penalty. I'd recommend not having any active base or station contracts before installing.

44 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

Probably. It disables the stock station contracts. I think they will probably get silently dropped, but you may have to pay the failure penalty. I'd recommend not having any active base or station contracts before installing.

Ok, might just cheat complete them then.

On 12/27/2016 at 1:37 AM, severedsolo said:

I am planning to re-visit the base stuff anyway . . .

Hope you can help with this issue as I really love contract mods, and this one seems like it could be really fun. I'm not sure if this is user error or luck or what, but when looking at that maybe you can look at the target planet picking thing? As I said, I don't know if it's just a user error type thing, but for some reason the contracts for the picking of a base site thing never seem to pop because I don't meet the "target planet doesn't equal homeworld" thing. I should mention that I only have 1 station and that is in LKO, so if there needs to be a station in orbit of a planet for it to be picked as a target maybe that could be more clear?

Besides that I also seem to have some issue with crewed stations. As stated I have a small "station" (literally the 3 person command pod docked to a sci lab with copula on top) with 2 scientists in LKO atm, but it seems like basically every contract that involves station with crew and/or station in orbit (ie evacuate, repair, medical emergency, etc) list that requirement as unmet. So again I don't know if there is an issue with my understanding of how it works or some other weird thing, so any help would be appreciated.

@Cynor

Bases - I suspect I see what the issue is, I've just seen an error in the BaseScan contract that would make it difficult for that one to generate if you are getting B&S contracts elsewhere. Raised #67

Stations - your station must be actually marked as a station. In the flight screen, right click your command part, click "rename vessel" and select "Station" from the Vessel types.

@severedsolo

Thanks, I look forward to seeing if that helps when you get it fixed/changed. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think I would be getting any contracts for bases/stations from any of my other mods, though with around 70 I can't rule that out. That said I do have some that add parts (the USI stuff and I think it's called K&K planetary bases), so there may be something in there perhaps.

Stations - This one was built specifically to fulfill the kerbin station contract, so I'm 99.99% sure that is still marked as a "Station" vessel type. I do think I have a couple contracts to build a station around the Mun/Minmus active though, so do you think that may be causing issues? Like it sees that those aren't up so it wont go?

53 minutes ago, Cynor said:

Stations - This one was built specifically to fulfill the kerbin station contract, so I'm 99.99% sure that is still marked as a "Station" vessel type. I do think I have a couple contracts to build a station around the Mun/Minmus active though, so do you think that may be causing issues? Like it sees that those aren't up so it wont go?

Do you happen to have another active contract from my pack to do stuff on that station. They are mutually exclusive, you can only have one maintenance mission per station at a time.

To answer your original question: it doesn't care about the other contracts. It's just looking for stations that meet it's criteria.

54 minutes ago, Cynor said:

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think I would be getting any contracts for bases/stations from any of my other mods,

I meant if my pack has generated a contract elsewhere (including station contracts) this one won't generate.

Edited by severedsolo

1 minute ago, severedsolo said:

Do you happen to have another active contract from my pack to do stuff on that station. They are mutually exclusive, you can only have one maintenance mission per station at a time.

That may be it then. While I didn't accept it (or decline it) I do have the supply run offered to me at the moment. It literally popped up right after finishing the first so I was like "meh don't need this just yet".

4 minutes ago, Cynor said:

That may be it then. While I didn't accept it (or decline it) I do have the supply run offered to me at the moment. It literally popped up right after finishing the first so I was like "meh don't need this just yet".

That will be it. I actually recommend doing the contract. It puts it on a cooldown for 10 days, so you can get other contracts. Just spotted another bug which means that LSResupply will generate alot more often than the others... raised #68

13 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

That will be it. I actually recommend doing the contract. It puts it on a cooldown for 10 days, so you can get other contracts. Just spotted another bug which means that LSResupply will generate alot more often than the others... raised #68

Glad to know that that is the reason and in future I should either just reject it or do it. Also glad I could be of help with the finding a couple things to look at.

Bases and Stations 3.5.3 Released!

• Reworked Uniqueness checks for Core Missions to make them more likely to generate.
  • Slightly increased rewards on BaseScan
  • Reduced rewards on BaseRover
  • Fixed missing RNG roll on LSResupply (makes it not generate so often).
  • Increased "acceptable range" of all missions where you have to land near a base to 2km.

Edited by severedsolo