Game crash on startup with no error in log

Pretty simple. Just installed the game on 32 bit crunchbang.

If I launch the game, it starts to load with a black window (totally black, no loading resources or anything in it) then the window closes.

Tried checking the player.log for issues, however it only contains this:

Kerbal Space Program - 0.90.0.0 (LinuxPlayer) Steam BETA

CPU: Intel® Core i3-3217U CPU @ 1.80GHz (4)

RAM: 5982

GPU: Mesa DRI Intel® Ivybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2 (256MB)

SM: 30 (OpenGL 3.0 [3.0 Mesa 8.0.5])

RT Formats: ARGB32, ARGBHalf, RGB565, ARGB4444, ARGB1555, Default, DefaultHDR, ARGBFloat, RGFloat, RGHalf, RFloat, RHalf, R8

Log started: Sat, Mar 21, 2015 13:42:34

Yes that is the full log, not a partial.

Any assistance? I'm at a total loss as to where to go next

- - - Updated - - -

SHould add that this makes the problem worse with the game not even starting:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24529-The-Linux-compatibility-thread!/page18?p=466529&viewfull=1#post466529

- - - Updated - - -

Redirected stderr to a file by adding "%command% 2>error.txt" as a launch option.

ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/callum/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

Aborted

Well I'm not using ubuntu 12 let alone a 64 bit build of it, so why would I be loading ubuntu12_64 files? Regardless, the file is actually in there.

Edited by 6677

Hi 6677, officially KSP (and the Unity3D engine) support Ubuntu, so that's probably why the folder has that name.

The black screen is a big clue here, it's having trouble with your graphics chip and driver, unfortunately you don't have much option with Intel but to use the Mesa driver.

There's a few known fixes for Intels on Linux, though one has stopped being viable recently as the Intel string in the binary seems to be missing, none of them address this issue though.

You could check all the libs you need are installed with "ldd KSP.x86" and see if the x86_64 binary will start for you.

As I am running a 32 bit build of crunchbang (only one I had at the time and I am not reinstalling the system again when I shall have windows reinstalled soon anyway) I cannot run the x86_64 binary.

I have the mesa drivers. apt-get already reports having the latest libgl1-mesa-glx packages. LDD also reports no issues.

Hmm, digging deeper, ".local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so" is a Steam file for the Steam overlay, and it's not a KSP or a Unity3D file at all, as KSP files are in ".local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/"

I suggest you start the KSP.x86 directly from the Kerbal Space Program folder, this will bypass Steam, the Steam overlay and gameoverlayrender.so completely.

If the game works you can easily make a script to start it, or a symlink to the KSP folder, as for why Steam is causing trouble however, that's be a matter for Steam support :)

I've already tried launching direct from the KSP install folder (/SteamApps/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/ thanks to being on SSD, although uninstalling and reinstalling to HDD still causes issues - my home partition is a separate drive). Same symptoms occur, minus any errors on stdout.

However, I did find a fix. Launcher.x86 does run fine and allows game config. I set all graphics options to low in there. Relaunched the game. It is now working (including being launched from steam library).

Okay then this is very weird, maybe the graphics settings were messed up somehow, there's a hidden file called prefs that holds the last known "good" configuration, does it continue to give you trouble if you use the KSP.x86 now?

I havent changed the settings since, figured all low is rather well suited to an intel HD4000 in a laptop. If I want uber max settings, I can use the desktop PC instead (actually it doesnt max it, but its alot prettier at least). KSP still runs post reboot with an all minimum settings config, both from steam and launched from folder.

I do not have a prefs file (or .prefs considering its supposed to be hidden). Just settings.cfg. Game is working at least so changed tag to solved.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.