[1.0.4] Kerbin 365 Version 0.4.1 -3.2x/6.4x Solar System Rescale- (50% Less Bees! Edition)

Nolnoc

The new OPM should work with the current version of K-365, but the new planets will still be in their original orbit. When I update to the new version of K-365 I will include support for the new planets in OPM as well as a few other features I have planned :).

OOOOOOO Any spoilers? Also you holding off on the new version until 1.1 lands?

Most of my plans for this mod are outlined on the front page in the Planned Features section at the bottom, but one thing I'm focusing on now is making Environmental Effects packs work with this mod by creating a re-scale config common to all EE packs. Aside from that I'm thinking of supporting more planet packs, but before i do I need to know which planet pack you guys think I should work on next.

• 2 weeks later...
I love this mod so much. I haven't even touched career yet, been having way too much fun on Sandbox. After not playing KSP for 3+ months, I decided to give this mod a shot, as 64k didn't seem to be working for me... It's awesome! Combined with Atomic Age, Porkjet's habitat pack and SpaceY (and of course, Mechjeb), I've already set up a munar base and developed a line of 5m launch vehicles. My biggest one so far can launch 250t of pure payload into a 300km orbit, even when flying with the technical finesse of a puppy flying the space shuttle. With a bit of skill, you can launch 120t to Duna no problem. My mid-range launcher is my workhorse at the moment, it can deliver 100t to orbit, or 50t to munar orbit. But my favourite is the 5m 25t to orbit, reusable (SpaceX Style) SSTO. Best thing is, they all look pretty well proportioned to how much payload they carry. My 250t launcher is about the size of the Falcon Heavy, but if you were to make a rocket with the same lifting capacity in stock it would be a hell of a lot smaller.

I don't know if it is just me or not, but I feel like with the new aerodynamics, this mod doesn't make the game a whole lot harder. DeltaV cost to orbit has gone up to 4800m/s compared to stock 3500m/s, but most people are use to 4500+ m/s to orbit from previous versions anyway. But the orbital distances definitely help make the game a lot more fun.

Waitup. Whatnow? It takes me about 6.2-6.4 km/s to get into orbit. What am I doing wrong?

Even with a very high TWR off the pad, I can't get below 6 km/s.

I really hope you're talking about atmospheric DV ASL...

Edited by Sauron

This covers some workarounds, SlashTen. You'll note that RSS now includes contract modification to fix this and other issues, and I suggest 365 should as well.

The issue: https://github.com/KSP-64k/64k/issues/14

The RSS patch: (you don't need all of it, and the multipliers for contract orbital altitudes etc should be changed, but the stock multipliers won't be right either... https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealSolarSystem/blob/master/GameData/RealSolarSystem/ContractModifier.cfg )

This covers some workarounds, SlashTen. You'll note that RSS now includes contract modification to fix this and other issues, and I suggest 365 should as well.

The RSS patch: (you don't need all of it, and the multipliers for contract orbital altitudes etc should be changed, but the stock multipliers won't be right either... https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealSolarSystem/blob/master/GameData/RealSolarSystem/ContractModifier.cfg )

What the formula for orbital altitudes?

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealSolarSystem/blob/master/GameData/RealSolarSystem/ContractModifier.cfg#L24-L26

Satellite contracts use those multipliers times SoI limit to derive the contract orbital altitudes (as SMAs). Since the SoI for 365 is rather larger, you probably want to decrease the multipliers from the stock values (in Squad/Contracts/Contracts.cfg) to somewhere between stock and the values linked above (for RSS).

Thanks, NathanKell. I'll look at this some more. Although the main problem I have currently is that the game now freezes when exiting an automatic timewarp.

• 2 weeks later...

'lo

I've kicked off a new playthrough with this rescale recently and I like it very much so far. It is just right in terms of difficulty, not quite frustrating as 6.4x without real fuels but still gives a challenge.

But think that the atmospheres (or heatshields or heat model) may need some tweaking when played with FAR.

Having played some RSS, reentries from high orbits or interplanetary trajectories feel really unforgiving. I made a very light and simple Eve lander, basically a probe core with 2 static solar panels, science instruments (the light ones, no goo or materials bay), parachute and a 1.25m stock heatshield, and I absolutely haven't figured out how to land the probe coming from a Kerbin -> Eve Hohmann transfer orbit. The atmosphere "begins" at 100km, significant heat effects begin at 90km, noticeable g-forces begin at 80km, but at this point, the heatshield melts and the probe explodes. With peripasis just at 90km, the atmosphere does chew off some speed so that you get an elliptical orbit, but nearly all the ablator is gone, which means that any further reentry attempts result in an instant explosion once the probe gets below 90km.

Also reentering a simple capsule from Minmus feels very hard even when controlling the reentry very carefully with pitching. The heat effects start abruptly and all the ablator goes whooosh very fast without slowing down at all.

Or do I just suck?

On the other hand, I successfully managed to drop a probe (no heatshield) from Ike to Duna's surface (only solar panels burning off) with periapsis underneath the surface.

Tuning down the heating to about 60% makes it manageable, but the LKO reentries get quite... tame, so to speak

• 3 weeks later...

Install bug. I tried to install the mod but it doesn't seem to be working.

OAoBY3Y.png

As you can see, Kerbin's orbit is the same and it's size is the same. I have the folders in GameData (TJMods is a flag pack I made, if you're wondering) but it doesn't work. What have I broken?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, how have I missed this. This does, in fact, appear to be exactly what I wanted in a rescale.

A few questions for clarification:

• Am I correct in my understanding that this works natively with OPM?
  • Does this only rescale the orbits and sizes of planets, or does it also do recolors and/or other changes? (I saw mention of changing Eve's rotation earlier in the thread, which worries me.)
  • If there are other changes aside from rescaling, can they be disabled easily?
  • Aside from Kopernicus (and, presumably, ModuleManager) are there any other dependencies for this?
  • What's the mod support looking like right now? Does it play nicely with things like RemoteTech, ScanSat, etc...?

I'm also encountering the game crashing when you get to space in Career mode - Nathan, I see you've said something about a patch, does it work and if so how do I implement it? Many thanks :)

EDIT: Had another look at this and the various other rescale mods when I'm more awake, copied the mod fix from KScale2 into the Kerbin 365 config file, seems to work now! :)

Edited by MAV3RICK

• 1 month later...

It works fine for me, too. I love this mod, perfect if you want realisticly sized rockets. At the moment im working on a fully reusable 100t launcher, sadly my lifting body upper stage doesnt want to cooperate with FAR, it flips out of controll or cant flare hard enough for a decent touchdown...

I really like this because the surfaces of the planets aren't super smooth. There's still some sort of defining features of the planets. 

However, I really don't like the changes to the planets. Things like Norah and whatnot are kind of, well, not Kerbin. If I want to play with an Earth, I'd play RSS. Regardless, is there a way I can get the moons and planets back to their original places?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.