How do I run KSP on Linux WITHOUT Steam?

Hey everybody,

I ran KSP on Mac, but need the 64bit version to use more mods.

I installed Ubuntu 14.04, downloaded KSPlinux from KSP.com and here my trouble begins:

I don`t know which files I have to open (inside the KSP folder) nor how to open or run them at all.

I have no clue about Linux at all. I want to use it solely for KSP and mods (once it runs, the mods go into the game data folder and thats it I hope).

And yes, I can start sentences without "I"...

(I) thank you very much for your support!

I've always just run KSP.x86_64 directly, what does the launcher actually do?

Anyway, I recommend running KSP from the command line first, that way you'll get meaningful error messages if there are any problems.

Something to consider for those who do have Steam: - When you run KSP through Steam, it will use Steam's versions of certain system libraries. When you run it directly, it will use the ones installed by your distribution. You might find one or other option works better.

• 7 months later...
Great question! Seems everyone assumes that if you have Linux, you have the Steam version of KSP. Which is odd to me given that most of Steam's library seems to be Win only.

Sooooo..... Where does one extract the "KSP_Linux" folder to for starters...

[quote name='tg626']Sooooo..... Where does one extract the "KSP_Linux" folder to for starters...[/QUOTE]
Anywhere you see fit. KSP keeps its files pretty local. Then you just KSP_Linux/[COLOR=#333333]KSP.x86_64, or ./[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]KSP.x86_64 if you've navigated into the KSP_Linux directory already.[/COLOR]

[quote name='tg626']Great question! Seems everyone assumes that if you have Linux, you have the Steam version of KSP. Which is odd to me given that most of Steam's library seems to be Win only.

Sooooo..... Where does one extract the "KSP_Linux" folder to for starters...[/QUOTE]

Actually the linux offers are steadily increasing, and what steam has not for linux you will not find for linux anywhere else. Besides you can always run steam inside playonlinux and run the other games that are only for winblows from inside there...

Anyway you can extract that folder wherever you want, as of the launching I recommend fruition of this thread: [url]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24529-The-Linux-compatibility-thread[/url]!

For instance I run it using a script like this:

[CODE]#!/bin/sh

cd /location_of_ksp_folder/"Kerbal Space Program"

export LC_ALL=C
export LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1"
export __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1
exec taskset -c 2-3 ./KSP.x86_64[/CODE]

and in order to have it so that it suffices to run "ksp" in any terminal in order to launch the game, I linked this script inside the /usr/bin directory with (on ubuntu):

[CODE]cd /usr/bin
sudo ln -s /location_of_ksp_launch_script folder/name_of_ksp_script ksp[/CODE]

[quote name='eggymatrix']export LC_ALL=C [/QUOTE]
I don't use this anymore, AFAIK this bug was squashed in 0.25

[quote name='eggymatrix']export LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1"[/QUOTE]
Sound like bad idea to me. If your binary have trouble finding libraries, LD_LIBRARY_PATH is the way. If you really really need to push things via preload, you really ought to specify what libraries are you pushing. Pthread is core system library and I would be very careful around it, and libGL came from various sources (nowadays mesa or nvidia proprietary blob are most likely) and most people don't need to touch it.

[quote name='eggymatrix']export __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1[/QUOTE]
Now this is interresting. Again, is it for nvidia or mesa driver?

[quote name='eggymatrix']exec taskset -c 2-3 ./KSP.x86_64[/QUOTE]
Given that KSP runs (mostly) in single thread, I don't see point tinkering with afinity.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.