The Elcano Challenge : Ground-based circumnavigation

Yeah, that should be the ones - they were updated for 0.25 at least. They're actual landing gear so tough as heck, the challenge is to stop the rest of the craft falling apart/nosediving.

I'm going via both poles, I decided, there's a route to the North pole & down to the south via the "back" continent and up the front side again that doesn't have that much water until the final part - first leg was a shakedown run ( actually until I got sleepy & stopped paying attention ) which went quite well. Trip album will be updated constantly, but a selection of shots from the first leg here. Never really explored the side opposite KSC, so quite looking forward to that. The trip to the North pole isn't going to have much to pay attention to though. I installed Kerbinside bases so I'd have something interesting to aim at every now and then and possibly as refuelling points, although given I've gone this far & used about 60 units of fuel out of nearly 2000 I'm not sure that will be a problem.

I'm navigating via Telemachus' map display - if noone else has tried it you really ought to.

I can provide you a horribly captured vid of this thing driving if you need any proof btw, Fengist. Other naysayers can continue to believe what they like :P

Edit: and leg 2 to the north polar biodome done, nothing much to see still aside from Jeb going mad on the ice :P. Planning the southerly route, there appears to be only one way onto the south polar icecap?

Edited by Van Disaster

Yeah, that should be the ones - they were updated for 0.25 at least. They're actual landing gear so tough as heck, the challenge is to stop the rest of the craft falling apart/nosediving.

I'm going via both poles, I decided, there's a route to the North pole & down to the south via the "back" continent and up the front side again that doesn't have that much water until the final part - first leg was a shakedown run ( actually until I got sleepy & stopped paying attention ) which went quite well. Trip album will be updated constantly, but a selection of shots from the first leg here. Never really explored the side opposite KSC, so quite looking forward to that. The trip to the North pole isn't going to have much to pay attention to though. I installed Kerbinside bases so I'd have something interesting to aim at every now and then and possibly as refuelling points, although given I've gone this far & used about 60 units of fuel out of nearly 2000 I'm not sure that will be a problem.

I'm navigating via Telemachus' map display - if noone else has tried it you really ought to.

I can provide you a horribly captured vid of this thing driving if you need any proof btw, Fengist. Other naysayers can continue to believe what they like :P

Edit: and leg 2 to the north polar biodome done, nothing much to see still aside from Jeb going mad on the ice :P. Planning the southerly route, there appears to be only one way onto the south polar icecap?

Nope, no proof needed. This is about you challenging yourself. If you say you're doing it fairly, that's enough for me.

Update 3..

A Quick post before bed.. I'll sort out the blog postings tomorrow afternoon on weekend..

Distance wise.. not much.. I did promise to reveal all that happens to its with a tad shame and loss of pride that I have to admit I got excited to see some buildings on the horizon.. only to discover id not kept a heading constant and i'd somehow did a 5km loop back around heading for KSC :huh:

Todays driving was short, a total of around 7km.. I spent most of the 2 hours undertaking refueling operations..

See despite never leaving kerbins atmosphere in almost 6 months or so.. it seems driving a land-train is much much much worse safety wise and potential risk factor than rocket science..

as such.. ive encounted 2 wrecks of former landliner trains from a month or more ago.. one I vaugely remember was headed to an outlying station on a fuel run 80km from KSC.. the other I found yesterday.. was the rescue train sent to save the crew and return back to KSC... both ended horribly

its an odd thing to be attempting this Elcano Challenge and come across a random wheelset in the middle of nowhere.. knowing its not from my own train.. then discovering a field of debris thats made up of parts.. rather disturbingly similar to the very same vehicle your driving..

Quirkyness aside..

This actually was an emotional session in the true sense. (really..)

since 3 fuel tanks remained intact from 4404 I set about using the KAS winch and plug to drain fuel from the tank into 4408

the very.. ideal of draining the life blood from the wreck of a downed sister train to feed her younger sister.. as the last and final act of a rescue train wasnt lost..

and indeed had quite an impact.. :(

here we have the rear section of 4404 - air intakes and part of her coupler still attached to the fuel tank

GAZKhIB.jpg

And finally the departure.. with a heartfelt thankyou to a lost sister as I get 4408 back underway

BTe53eX.jpg

Nice, I wish I was doing this in one of my working saves, there'd be wrecks and debris all over to visit :)

I knocked up a tentative plan here, but I think I'll probably go a bit more around the interior of the bigger island. I'm currently at the cyan dot.

17076271241_ac232d45ac.jpg

I doubt there'll be much to report on for another day at least, it looks like - all either ice or flat & featureless. Day 1 ended with a 400kt dash across the northern icefield to the Biodome there, that was about the most exciting part. I fly between KSC and that base all the time, which is why I picked it as an initial leg to make sure everything was working.

Someone might be wondering why I've got a highspeed vehicle for this... well

* I love going fast. Going fast cross-country is hair-raising, a technical challenge and something of a driving challenge - not in actually controlling the vehicle but definitely in reading the way ahead.

* I've gone crosscountry faster than this before - that vehicle is what this current one is based on.

* I've also gone exploring before, somewhat; there's a few more shots at different locations I never got round to uploading.

Edited by Van Disaster

Van and Overland. Do me a favor so I can help others track your adventure and link to it. Start a new thread in the fan works forums, either live from mission control or mission reports. That way, we have the entire adventure in one spot rather than a bunch of posts on this thread.

Thanks.

Yeah, I was going to do that once I'd got some worthwhile activity to report - all I did yesterday was drive and not crash or see anything much. Today was a bit more interesting so I'll probably start a thread later.

Edit: I did update all the flickr image descriptions as a start...

Edited by Van Disaster

I just happened to stumble on this. We have a boat in the water going around Laythe. Check the OP.

I just noticed.. theres nothing about my attempt listed under kerbin.. a landliner might be slow and unconventional and could possibly take weeks because of work.. but im giving it a damn good go for the honor of landliner trains and the 10s of kerbals lost in the line of development since 2013 :)

I just noticed.. theres nothing about my attempt listed under kerbin.. a landliner might be slow and unconventional and could possibly take weeks because of work.. but im giving it a damn good go for the honor of landliner trains and the 10s of kerbals lost in the line of development since 2013 :)

Right, that's why I wanted you to start a post in fan works, so that it's all in one spot and I can link to it in the OP.

Great :) I understand now..

Ive started my blog-like mission log here in the mission reports sub forum

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/115268-Elcano-Challenge-Attempted-circumnavigation-Overland-s-Thread-%2844-Class-landliner-Train%29

Crew is

Jebidiah Kermin - Driver

Edburry Kermin - Relief Driver

Lemeny Kermin - Unwilling Passenger

Technicly I may have to break rule 3 with boats.. but im still working on a method to haul the train over with a winch if possible..

fail that. the actual barge will be powered by the locomotives generators rather than have its own power..

if it does break the rules though i'll proudly be a gatecrasher.. and a happy landliner driver whatever happens :D

EDIT:

I remembered once I seen someone use the kerbaltown plugin to place a bridge across water.. it was custom made in blender..with a part size limit of 2.5km apparently.. its an avenue I might have to consider..I am naturally seeking out the smallest possible water crossings even if it means weeks more of additional driving..

Thanks for the link Fengist, I never seen that series but.. having a look.. yep.. thats my thing :)

Edited by Overland

That's an interesting link you put in for my thread, but not a terribly accurate one :)

Overland: can you not just couple a water propulsion wagon somewhere at the head of your train? or even the rear & tow it backwards. I'm pretty sure it'll float... whether it'll float upright is a different matter :P maybe investigate some floats - there's definitely USI ones - and KAS or KIS.

Edited by Van Disaster

oh she floats alright :) but then the 1 ton wheels dont do much in the way of moving even with 1000 engines :)

I believe the bridge idea holds merrit.. 4408 does have airbags either side for emergency deployment incase of a.. hmm. delandment?. to prop her back upright..

I once tried to use them as floatation devices but deployed too late when already in the water. they inflated too quick...and her rear passenger car arced over like a scorpions tail smashing the locomotive to bits.. it was impressive.. but not what I was looking for..

Still.. with hours of driving on land to go.. its not something I need to consider just yet :)

That's an interesting link you put in for my thread, but not a terribly accurate one :)

Oops, copy paste disaster. That was a link to Overland's train.

Oh, and Overland, if you ever give up circumnavigation, there are other options:

220px-Train_crash_at_Crush%2C_Texas_1896.jpg

Crush, Texas

Edited by Fengist

Well, I've completed my attempt to circumnavigate Laythe. I had one quicksave explosion as well, and lots of smaller adventures. Fun was had. Thanks for the challenge!

I admit it was not a very ambitious attempt like some, with Laythe being mostly flat seas and whatnot, but that is my first proper watercraft and I'm still happy to have it completed. :)

Here's a link to the circumnavigation, enjoy:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/115231-Laythe-circumnavigation-by-boat-Completed

Well, I've completed my attempt to circumnavigate Laythe. I had one quicksave explosion as well, and lots of smaller adventures. Fun was had. Thanks for the challenge!

I admit it was not a very ambitious attempt like some, with Laythe being mostly flat seas and whatnot, but that is my first proper watercraft and I'm still happy to have it completed. :)

Here's a link to the circumnavigation, enjoy:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/115231-Laythe-circumnavigation-by-boat-Completed

Don't sell yourself short bud. I did a water passage on Eve and as you know, one wrong turn and your circumnavigation vessel disintegrates. Congratulations on a Kerbal first and welcome to the ranks of true circumnavigators.

A question for you fengist..

4408 might require a control trailer soon for ease of multidirectional and switchback operations..

could I teleport and parachue one down to KSC2 without issue?

in railway terms shes what you would call a cabcar in america I think

she'll be coupled to the rear of the train with a passing resemblece to earlier landliner passenger style trailers.. actually not having her own motor or generators..

simply used for controling 4408 on the other end of the train without the need to turn around the full train but rather a simple swap from one end to the other to negotiate some grades that require such actions to safely conquer the terrain..

unfortunately due to the sheer weight of landliners.. even so much as 2 mainsail rocket engines struggle to lift a single trailercar..

I plan to use hyperedit this one instance to teleport her into the upper atmosphere where she can then descend safely on parachutes to land at KSC2 to wait for 4408s Arrival

A question for you fengist..

4408 might require a control trailer soon for ease of multidirectional and switchback operations..

could I teleport and parachue one down to KSC2 without issue?

in railway terms shes what you would call a cabcar in america I think

she'll be coupled to the rear of the train with a passing resemblece to earlier landliner passenger style trailers.. actually not having her own motor or generators..

simply used for controling 4408 on the other end of the train without the need to turn around the full train but rather a simple swap from one end to the other to negotiate some grades that require such actions to safely conquer the terrain..

unfortunately due to the sheer weight of landliners.. even so much as 2 mainsail rocket engines struggle to lift a single trailercar..

I plan to use hyperedit this one instance to teleport her into the upper atmosphere where she can then descend safely on parachutes to land at KSC2 to wait for 4408s Arrival

Making repairs, or adding a cabcar, I have no problem with. My question to you is... if you hyperedit it into place, do you feel like you'll be justified in doing so. I can tell you, replacing my vehicle on my circumnavigation was the most repugnant thing I could have done. But, it was that or quit. Afterward, I felt let down. If you don't think it'll cause you regrets, then it's your circumnavigation and your decision. Make it wisely.

Indeed I understand greatly.. Ive considered simply driving another locomotive and trailercar to drop off the trailercar.. its only 125km drive :) Thankyou for the feedback.. I'll fire up and older model jet propelled landliner to deliver the trailer and get her back home at a later date :) maybe even circumnavigation +1 to bring it back after 4408s completed her run.. a little bit of extra string to tie the not so to speak

.....I appear to have jinxed myself..one does not simply...dream about cabcars being added to ones train..

ones train blew a turbine now needs another trains assistance..else she herself becomes said cabcar if #2 happens to explode

see my thread update 5 :(

Alright, the images have come in from HQ, time for my attempt.

The vehicle I will be using is a replica/copy/remake of Kanil's LSED, only with an enlarged fuselage, wider pontoons and extra fuel tanks on the pontoons. I call it the Waterhopper Mk. VI.

Kanil, if you are reading this, I apologize for using your basic concept, it is an amazing machine and I thought it could use some modifications to give it some longer range.

Anyways, time for the images!

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Bob_Saget54