The Elcano Challenge : Ground-based circumnavigation

I would say... very carefully. I haven't done an ore scan of Gilly yet, but with 1.0, running out of fuel isn't a huge concern any more. I would think, that in order to stay on the ground while drilling that KAS grappling hooks would be a very good thing. I used them on an airship recently and they do a great job of keeping you planted on the surface. Beyond that, keeping pointed in the direction you want to go would be the biggest challenge.

One thought I just had, instead of RCS to keep you on the ground, how about Ions pointed downward?

Oooh, nice idea! Didn't even think of the ion engines. I guess I should start planning a new Eve mission, then.

The Labrador 1 has completed it's final trial runs and is ready for its attempt. Using rover wheels for it's main land travel and a jet engine for the seas, it also has a third electric propeller based system to boost it up steep hills and as a back up for ocean travel. It is also capable of replenishing its fuel stores from karbonite deposits to keep it's generators and jets running

http://imgur.com/a/wGcUZ

Just curious, why Karbonite and not Ore? Ore gives a 2:1 fuel ratio and doesn't weigh nearly as much as Karbonite.

Fengist, better get your Vall Circumnavigator badge ready. In my main save file, a transfer window to Jool approaches, and I've been meaning to colonize Vall, so...

Tomorrow the rover design begins. (And I hope my Duna colonists enjoy watching reruns of TV shows...)

Fengist, better get your Vall Circumnavigator badge ready. In my main save file, a transfer window to Jool approaches, and I've been meaning to colonize Vall, so...

Tomorrow the rover design begins. (And I hope my Duna colonists enjoy watching reruns of TV shows...)

Now that I have one, adding another will take me about 5 minutes. Good luck and keep us updated.

Unfortunately, this challenge is misnamed. Elcano was not the first person to circumnavigate the Earth. That honor goes to Enrique Malaka, a Filipino servant of Magrllan, gets that honor.

That said... going to start one of thesevon kerbin as a test run for one farther out.

Grr.... If that ship from before had some more fuel I'd be golden.

All other designs have been failures. I'm gonna try something. The main body is made out of those radial engine nacelles, I'll replace them with Jet Fuel Fuselages. I'll also add some more fuel tanks on the underbelly (Or perhaps make it longer).

Unfortunately, this challenge is misnamed. Elcano was not the first person to circumnavigate the Earth. That honor goes to Enrique Malaka, a Filipino servant of Magrllan, gets that honor.

That said... going to start one of thesevon kerbin as a test run for one farther out.

Enrique is only documented to have traveled with Magellan from Malacca to Cebu, 2500 km and 20 degrees of longitude short of completing the circumnavigation. It is not known if he ever had a chance to complete it.

10char

Hmm... that sounds like a short distance untill you look at where things are on a map. Malacca is on the west coast of the Malay peninsula. Cebu is an island in the Philippines.... EAST of the Malay peninsula. To get to Malacca, you have to go PAST the Philippines. At least if you are Magellan.

Don`t take my word for it, look it up on a map.

Edited by Fizwalker

This seems interesting. Two questions:

1) Can I do it on Pol/Gilly? I only ask because I imagine that half the time will be airborne, just because of towering mountains and low gravity.

2) Do I have to GET to Pol/Gilly, or can I Hyperedit there?

This seems interesting. Two questions:

1) Can I do it on Pol/Gilly? I only ask because I imagine that half the time will be airborne, just because of towering mountains and low gravity.

Any and every orbital body is open to this challenge. If you can find a way to survive the surface of Kerbol, I'll allow it. As far as low gravity is concerned, I'm of this mindset: Thus far, I have not disallowed fueled engines. I understand that not everyone wants to take a week to do what I did. But, on low gravity bodies there's going to be a fine line between driving around it on wheels and orbiting at an extremely low altitude. If I see a NERVA sticking out the back of your vehicle, there will be some serious questions. If I see Ions on the roof pointing downward, it's pretty obvious you're using them to keep yourself on the ground. Even RCS on a ground based vehicle will cause me to raise an eyebrow, though I understand it's usefulness.

This challenge is not about how fast you can complete it nor whether you can find a way to circumvent it's intent (not saying you are). This challenge exists for the same reason Magellan and Elcano left Seville, Spain... exploration and adventure. Stick to that and your questions should answer themselves.

2) Do I have to GET to Pol/Gilly, or can I Hyperedit there?

I personally like the challenge of getting the vehicle to it's destination but I also understand that could take some extreme efforts with the new aerodynamics. So here's where I'll draw the line on this question. If you wish to hyperedit, I won't know unless you tell me. BUT, I will look to see if you've landed your vehicle from a 'reasonable' orbit altitude. Don't just plop yourself on the surface and start driving. Keep in mind, the first explorers of Earth had to face challenges beyond just what they found on land, they had to deal with the doldrums as well.

First time threat visitor, but I just want to commend anyone who attempts this adventure, for I spent only a few hours before I succumbed to back spasms and hand cramps in my attempt around Kerbin. Kudos to the dedicated!

And a shoutout for you, Fengist, for keeping alive Elcano's legacy. Magellan is due some notoriety, to be sure, but Elcano is a name virtually no one knows about despite the trek and the accomplishment he completed.

Say, what kinds of rovers you suggest for driving around on other planets? I've made a small Vall rover that can do 21 m/s, but that will obviously be far too little for driving around a whole moon.

Give it some Ion engines for forward push, and some plane landing gear. Those can make it to over 80 m/s easy. (Don't try it on a hill, though)

If you want to go faster I'd suggest the medium sized gear, they seem ridiculously strong. Stronger than the small and large sizes. :confused:

Ok, I have to ask... control surfaces?

They are pretty necessary at high speed, KSP scenery is not very forgiving :P

I'm a little short of time for this atm but still progressing - I did find time for another leg which I've not posted yet ( half of it is on imgur ), but nothing abandoned.

@hobbes365: use some sort of SAS device with a heading - I use SSAS from Pilot Assistant, or the Mechjeb rover autopilot also works. Neither will let you go afk without mishap so it's not like you can just set it and ignore it :P. Well unless you're attempting a long sea crossing I guess.

Edited by Van Disaster

It doesn't land on water very good yet....

Is it technique, or capability? As of yet, unknown. :D

EDIT:

Oh, dear...

HzsAZqH.png

I don't think this is safe. I don't think so at all.

Edited by Starwhip

It doesn't land on water very good yet....

Is it technique, or capability? As of yet, unknown. :D

I don't think this is safe. I don't think so at all.

For a ground based challenge, that word 'land' has me confused. Seems to me you shouldn't be 'landing,' you should already be 'landed.'

Say, what kinds of rovers you suggest for driving around on other planets? I've made a small Vall rover that can do 21 m/s, but that will obviously be far too little for driving around a whole moon.

I'm currently 3/4th of the way around Vall, and driving at 30-40 m/s so you're not that far off. Anyway you don't want a top speed much larger than what your materials can take on a collision.

In terms of dimensions, my rover is 12m*10m*5m (L, W, H), with big-ass SAS units.

For a ground based challenge, that word 'land' has me confused. Seems to me you shouldn't be 'landing,' you should already be 'landed.'

For other purposes, not for the challenge.

It can do the transition from land to water and from water to land alright.

Here goes nothing! CRN-07 Dawn Racer is officially starting the Elcano Challenge!

- - - Updated - - -

For the South Pole! :D

k0caIGW.png

Engage!

EDIT:

Look who we found! :D

rvAV5cQ.png

Edited by Starwhip