The Elcano Challenge : Ground-based circumnavigation

As there are quite some people in this thread with experiences in rover-building...

Is there a way to increase the friction of structural plates? Either via modding something or maybe via something to put on the plates, like rubber XD

While my rover works quite good, the only (but major) problem I have is the friction of the plates... Or the lack thereof.

@Fengist, you said replacement rovers are okay... Even if they are quite different? Because I'm pondering to use a different design, as these armor-plate-wheels are a lot more problematic than normal wheels when it comes to traction.

Are we allowed to use Kerbal Foundries anti-grav thrusters? They allow speeds up to 100 m/s and they still keep the craft on the ground. They have they're own difficulties, but I thought it would be fun.

Challenge completed !

My report is all in the imgur album http://imgur.com/a/9X0MK

Please tell me if you need more data

Well done Solune, your Vall badge has been adde! I see you had quite the adventure. Even though the tires on those wheels are essentially unbreakable, the wheels definitely aren't. Did you happen to tweak the suspension on them?

- - - Updated - - -

As there are quite some people in this thread with experiences in rover-building...

Is there a way to increase the friction of structural plates? Either via modding something or maybe via something to put on the plates, like rubber XD

While my rover works quite good, the only (but major) problem I have is the friction of the plates... Or the lack thereof.

@Fengist, you said replacement rovers are okay... Even if they are quite different? Because I'm pondering to use a different design, as these armor-plate-wheels are a lot more problematic than normal wheels when it comes to traction.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by friction and/or why it's needed.

As for replacements, yes you can but I think I asked that they be pretty close to the original design.

- - - Updated - - -

Are we allowed to use Kerbal Foundries anti-grav thrusters? They allow speeds up to 100 m/s and they still keep the craft on the ground. They have they're own difficulties, but I thought it would be fun.

If you happened to look at my Eve circumnavigation, you'll notice I used KF screws. During testing, I also experimented with the anti-grav thrusters. While they do have their own set of issues, I personally though it was too much like cheating since I wasn't technically on the ground. For me personally, it's a big grey area. However, if you think it would be fun I'll go this far: Complete your circumnavigation. If afterward you don't feel like the thrusters were too... 'cheaty'.... I'll accept it. In the end, you have to be more satisfied with your accomplishment than I do and if you feel satisfied, then I will.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by friction and/or why it's needed.

As for replacements, yes you can but I think I asked that they be pretty close to the original design.

Just imagine driving your uphill on a smooth street. Without actual tires, just on your rims.

Difference? Friction ;) Or grip, or whatever you want to call it.

And I don't know how "pretty close to the original design" would work in my case. The major point were the huge steelplate wheels, as soon as I take them away, it'll probably not be "pretty close", I guess.

Does that mean I'd have to restart?

Just imagine driving your uphill on a smooth street. Without actual tires, just on your rims.

Difference? Friction ;) Or grip, or whatever you want to call it.

And I don't know how "pretty close to the original design" would work in my case. The major point were the huge steelplate wheels, as soon as I take them away, it'll probably not be "pretty close", I guess.

Does that mean I'd have to restart?

Ah, you have discovered what I call the Scott Manley effect. He built a 'walker' once and it's feet were just girders. It had a real hard time walking across the Mun. Nooooo traction.

Here's what I can tell you. Certain parts have 'brakes' and not just wheels. Landing legs have brakes that are always 'on'. Anything that has brakes will create the 'friction' you're looking for. Anything that doesn't have brakes, will tend to slide across the surface.

I know this intimately from walker design. Which, is why all of my walkers have landing legs for toes.

Though it'll significantly increase your part count, putting landing legs on the outside of your 'wheels' will give you what you seek. But take care. If you get the angle wrong and slam them down on the surface... they splode.

Edited by Fengist

Did you happen to tweak the suspension on them?

I did. I used the full suspension for my manual-controlled rides at the poles. And a flatter one for the plains. At 4X warp, the suspension system will generate its own bumps so you don't want it too high.

Another thing I found out is that if you activate SAS stabilisation on mechjeb's rover autopilot, it will brake to keep you aligned & under your target speed. But using vanila SAS, I could go way faster than the RPM limit of the wheels, especially on downslopes.

Can everyone doing a stock version of this challenge pm me their craft file? I'm going to make a video.

Fengist is allowing me stock status, I believe. I'll check with him and then you can have my Green Thunder and relevant wheel files.

Fengist is allowing me stock status, I believe. I'll check with him and then you can have my Green Thunder and relevant wheel files.

I don't think I'll need them, though it certainly wouldn't be a bad thing to have them on hand.

I don't think I'll need them, though it certainly wouldn't be a bad thing to have them on hand.

You might need them to get the thing to work properly XD Otherwise, turning is completely awful and those wheels have a habit of popping under the 30t stress I have on 'em. If you just have the wheel files then there's no assembly required. Batteries are, in fact, included.

I am going to attempt this challenge!

(Just as soon as the laptop with KSP on it gets all the viruses cleared out, stupid fake java updates...)

I am currently experimenting with a giant rover/colony i call,(Drum-roll please), ... the Aeromax x-300 M.C.R(Mobile Colony Rover)

This thing will be the latest attempt at it... all the other designs included:

1. A Giant Kerbodyne thruster for speed (This was very entertaining to watch, lets just say the hangar and the runway and the VAB and the launchpad all were destroyed in a hilarious explosion.) (And of course, jebs the only one to live, in the most fragile part in it...:cool:)

2. A malfunctioning crew ladder that was *this* close to the ground, but was still too high. (I did not know that Kerbals are pathetic jumpers...)

3. Monopropellant engines all across the back (Did not do well, it did break a wheel due to placement and speed caused by kerbodyne engine...:))

4. a misplaced EAS command seat (Seriously! :mad:)

5. Not enough of the biggest wheels in stock... (It was at least entertaining to watch it do flips and other things...):)

6. not enough power even for the slightest hill. (It was pathetic...):(

This version will likely be the best out of its worthless ancestors...

(I am also going for the most Kerbals brought on a circumnavigation of any body in the kerbol system!

(I estimate about between 30 to 46 Kerbals, excluding the crew, i am still working on the cockpit.)

Wish me luck! (Plus, hope my laptop recovers from its horrendous 27,000 Viruses!) (Bum Bum Bummmmmmmmmmmmm!)

EDIT: This is on Kerbin, since my rockets are about as advanced as real life, but much worse. (I suck at getting things to orbit essentially, so i focus on planes and rovers...)

Edited by Mikecraft
Forgot to say something

I've gotten 1/12th of the way around Pol so far. It's been... bouncy. I like this challenge; it's given me the opportunity to repair a tire mid-bounce. And those piles of Pol-ar rock are really starting to creep me out.

I took some video this time; uploading and editing it added an extra day or two to this process. :(

Anyway, you can read the report here.

Edited by Sutternalt

So, um, Fengist, I find it very hard to stay on the ground with my vessel. I try my best, and if the ground is level, or sloped upwards, the ship is quite comfortable at 2/3rds the speed of sound... but once you hit a bump or crest the hill, you start flying. Actually flying, like a plane. And at speed, I don't want to descend too fast, so I control the craft's flight, putting it into a downward glide. I never spend more than fifteen seconds in the air, but that equates to a bit over two kilometers.

Is this okay?

So, um, Fengist, I find it very hard to stay on the ground with my vessel. I try my best, and if the ground is level, or sloped upwards, the ship is quite comfortable at 2/3rds the speed of sound... but once you hit a bump or crest the hill, you start flying. Actually flying, like a plane. And at speed, I don't want to descend too fast, so I control the craft's flight, putting it into a downward glide. I never spend more than fifteen seconds in the air, but that equates to a bit over two kilometers.

Is this okay?

Well, here's my question that will answer yours. You have expressed a concern that you may be spending too much time aloft. Do you think it's ok?

- - - Updated - - -

Question - are we allowed to have a vehicle that CONVERTS into a boat?

Well, I suppose that depends. On Duna I would have to ask, why? On Laythe, I'd have to ask, why not?

Well, here's my question that will answer yours. You have expressed a concern that you may be spending too much time aloft. Do you think it's ok?

As I attempt to minimize airtime, yes. :)

On a side note:

There was this one canyon in an old Nassault video that I want to find and jump so bad... :D