The Elcano Challenge : Ground-based circumnavigation

Welp, I've completed my work, and I leave it for approval. Here's the report.

Xannari, well done. Your signature is complete and the entry added. So ummm... the Castlevania music. Did it contribute to the completion of this circumnavigation?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know if I've said it already Fengist but thank you so much for starting this challenge, I honestly don't think I've ever had this much fun playing KSP, the pure scope of the challenge is just brilliant and the journey is an experience that seems larger than just an in-game thing, it gives me a real feeling of wanderlust and I have enjoyed it so much.

Most welcome Squigs. Glad you're having fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Part 6 is up! Not much happens.

Yea, right. And this is one example of why I had to replace a rover. Though yours is a bit more dramatic.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I've been absent for a few days. Been busy. I've 'adjusted' the OP. Now that we have some more circumnavigators to add to the list and it doesn't look nearly as nekked with just 3 or 4 up there, I've remove the 'pending' list. Between the BB code mess, the need to update it and the fact that many more have started this challenge and not finished, it was becoming a bit of a pain to maintain. So, it's been axed. But, I'd still like everyone to start their own thread for this. While having gobs and gobs of pages may appear to make a challenge popular, reading through 100 pages of posts to catch up can be worse than the challenge itself.

Edited by Fengist

tumblr_np5y93mUeA1r0o48lo1_1280.png

Tis but a scratch!

(it still moves! I'm going to try and carry on until nightfall with the Banzai! like this.)

I always fail to get screenshots when things go wrong because I'm too busy going "nononono please don't die please don't die"

Edit: whoops just read your post and saw the "reading through 100 pages of posts to catch up can be worse than the challenge itself.", I keep posting in here instead of my own thread, sorry!

Edit again: Slightly more on topic for the overall challenge, how do other people decide whether they are going to reload after a crash or deal with it and ship out a replacement? the rules are a bit vague on it, i just took "save/loads are ok" to mean you could just reload after any crash if you so wished, bit I've seen a lot of people shipping a new craft out after every accident.

I personally decided that if I crashed as a result of a glitch or I crashed and everyone died, then I would reload (i've grown attached to my kerbals and having to go through all the effort of shipping a new craft out after a glitch that was not my fault would just make it frustrating)

however if I crashed due to my own negligence and all crew survived then I would deal with it and ship out a new Banzai!

Edited by Squiggsy

Edit again: Slightly more on topic for the overall challenge, how do other people decide whether they are going to reload after a crash or deal with it and ship out a replacement? the rules are a bit vague on it, i just took "save/loads are ok" to mean you could just reload after any crash if you so wished, bit I've seen a lot of people shipping a new craft out after every accident.

I personally decided that if I crashed as a result of a glitch or I crashed and everyone died, then I would reload (i've grown attached to my kerbals and having to go through all the effort of shipping a new craft out after a glitch that was not my fault would just make it frustrating)

however if I crashed due to my own negligence and all crew survived then I would deal with it and ship out a new Banzai!

If it is for sure a glitch, then I reload. If it was some incredibly stupid error on my part that I really shouldn't have done, I usually don't reload, but sometimes I do. :P

Speaking of glitches... I did about an hour and a half of driving last night only to find that the entire time the game had been bugged out. Screenshots are also corrupted on... Oh.... ..... I think I stuck KSP on the desktop of that computer... when the C: drive has almost zero space left on it...

That would explain some stuff. :(

Sorry I've been absent for a few days. Been busy. I've 'adjusted' the OP. Now that we have some more circumnavigators to add to the list and it doesn't look nearly as nekked with just 3 or 4 up there, I've remove the 'pending' list. Between the BB code mess, the need to update it and the fact that many more have started this challenge and not finished, it was becoming a bit of a pain to maintain. So, it's been axed. But, I'd still like everyone to start their own thread for this. While having gobs and gobs of pages may appear to make a challenge popular, reading through 100 pages of posts to catch up can be worse than the challenge itself.

Sorry if I put that over the edge about the pending list, I debated whether or not to enter seeing as so many other people were having a go. Hope it's not too much trouble, and thanks for setting up the contest!

Personally I reload for glitches. Once in a while I reload due to abject stupidity/carelessness, sometimes it's more fun to just go with it. I take those case-by-case. If the failure is due to a genuine design flaw or piloting mistake I go with it, even if I lose some Kerbals. In this case (partly since the contest is named after Elcano, not Magellan) I feel like the goal is to finish with at least one of the same Kerbals you started with, so if Shannon Kerman dies I'd have to start over from scratch.

That said, I think I might start a career save someday where I follow a strict "ironman" rule, even including glitches. One of my favorite books is "The Sirens of Titan" by Vonnegut, and it has something called "Chrono-Synclastic Infundibula" that remind me a lot of our Krakens... I like the idea of trying to actually integrate glitches into the KSP continuity and dealing with them, rather than just F5/F9'ing whenever a Kraken attacks. Maybe after 1.0.3 is out.

Xannari, well done. Your signature is complete and the entry added. So ummm... the Castlevania music. Did it contribute to the completion of this circumnavigation?

Why yes. I hope that's alright? It kept me from going nuts. Do you want a sample? It's a performance, but it sucks compared to the original.

Sorry if I put that over the edge about the pending list, I debated whether or not to enter seeing as so many other people were having a go. Hope it's not too much trouble, and thanks for setting up the contest!

No no. It was just becoming a bear to maintain and keep track of all the entrants. That and half the people who started never got very far. I'd rather reward those that succeed than embarrass those that don't. And YW. Glad everyone is enjoying it.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit again: Slightly more on topic for the overall challenge, how do other people decide whether they are going to reload after a crash or deal with it and ship out a replacement?

It can go from one extreme to the other. If you want the worst case, take a look at Wooks circumnavigation. If he crashed, no F9, he's ship out an entirely new rover... every single time. Now you know why it took him 6 months.

I have completed the circumnavigation of Kerbin by boat. Read about it here.

Elcano went by boat and I went by boat. Elcano sailed west and I sailed west. Elcano had unlimited fuel 24/7 in the form of wind. I had unlimited fuel when the sun was shining, which wasn't all that long in the higher latitudes. Elcano rounded Cape Horn and the Cape of Storm (aka Good Hope). I dared not venture as far south as the Horn, but I did have to portage my boat. Total distance traveled by my boat was nearly 1.5 times the circumference of Kerbin. I hope this is adequate :)

I have completed the circumnavigation of Kerbin by boat. Read about it here.

Elcano went by boat and I went by boat. Elcano sailed west and I sailed west. Elcano had unlimited fuel 24/7 in the form of wind. I had unlimited fuel when the sun was shining, which wasn't all that long in the higher latitudes. Elcano rounded Cape Horn and the Cape of Storm (aka Good Hope). I dared not venture as far south as the Horn, but I did have to portage my boat. Total distance traveled by my boat was nearly 1.5 times the circumference of Kerbin. I hope this is adequate :)

Congratulations!!! that is a truly impressive journey I hope you enjoyed it :)

Congratulations!!! that is a truly impressive journey I hope you enjoyed it :)

Yes, it was a lot of fun. Thanks to Fengist for issuing this challenge and to all participants whose adventures inspired me to take part. Prior to this challenge, my longest rover trips were just from KSC to the near side of the Reentry Mountains, which had always ended in tears. Otherwise, I've only used rovers to carry fuel from mines to landed ships just a few clicks away. Otherwise, I'd never had much use for them and had thought I had better things to do with my time than poke around on the ground. I'd seen Brotoro circumnavigate a number of places (not just Duna, but both Pol and Bop recently, and IIRC also Tylo, Vall, plus maybe Moho), plus Wooks' video saga, and of course Fengist's Eve trip. But I'd always considered such endeavors the exclusive domain of people whosef form of madness differed from my own :).

It was largely for these reasons that I elected to go by boat, besides just to be different. But now that I've done that, and studied all the weird and wonderful rover designs other participants have made, I'm thinking I'll pay more attention to rovering opportunities in the future.

Yes, it was a lot of fun. Thanks to Fengist for issuing this challenge and to all participants whose adventures inspired me to take part. Prior to this challenge, my longest rover trips were just from KSC to the near side of the Reentry Mountains, which had always ended in tears. Otherwise, I've only used rovers to carry fuel from mines to landed ships just a few clicks away. Otherwise, I'd never had much use for them and had thought I had better things to do with my time than poke around on the ground. I'd seen Brotoro circumnavigate a number of places (not just Duna, but both Pol and Bop recently, and IIRC also Tylo, Vall, plus maybe Moho), plus Wooks' video saga, and of course Fengist's Eve trip. But I'd always considered such endeavors the exclusive domain of people whosef form of madness differed from my own :).

It was largely for these reasons that I elected to go by boat, besides just to be different. But now that I've done that, and studied all the weird and wonderful rover designs other participants have made, I'm thinking I'll pay more attention to rovering opportunities in the future.

yeah I also used to be of the opinion that long distance rovering was for people suffering some madness or masochism. but now this has been so much fun I'm starting to plan where I'm going to circumnavigate next :P I'm considering making some custom parts to get the look I want from my craft for it and everything...

edit: just named a plateu I reached during what will hopfully be my only mountainous stretch of my journey after your Vacuous in celebration of your completion :)

Edited by Squiggsy

Ok, first of all, my Laptop is finally fixed and updated! second, My entry vehicle is finally finished! It is called the M.D.C. (The Mobile Drilling Center) This thing has enough room for 7 kerbals on the inside, and 6 seats on the viewing deck! This beast has the ability to travel to Ore hotspots to collect ore to turn into fuel which will be converted into electricity! To power this thing, I have 4 Gigantor XL Solar panels, Also, this thing has A single Turbojet Engine for speeding up steep hills. (Another reason for the Ore-Fuel-Electricity Parts on this thing) This thing will circumnavigate by land, with the help of a few satellites locating it's next refuel spot! I still have to launch 2 more satellites, one for massive Ore Locations, and one for Locating small amounts of Ore. This thing will also have emergency Mark II Rovers just in case of system failure. (Thank you Hotaru for the wonderful Rover plans!) This thing is also gigantic, It takes 8 of the biggest types of wheels to support! Also, i am sort've a Noob right now, how do i take screenshots?:blush: Anyway, i Will be off by the end of today, and if not, then the weekend!:cool:

Also, let me know if i am breaking any of the rules! I want to stay in the spirit of thios challenge! (1 more thing, I am not using any mods for this challenge, totally stock!)

Edited by Mikecraft
Misspelled anyway, and wanted to show i care about SOME Rules

Ok, first of all, my Laptop is finally fixed and updated! second, My entry vehicle is finally finished! It is called the M.D.C. (The Mobile Drilling Center) This thing has enough room for 7 kerbals on the inside, and 6 seats on the viewing deck! This beast has the ability to travel to Ore hotspots to collect ore to turn into fuel which will be converted into electricity! To power this thing, I have 4 Gigantor XL Solar panels, Also, this thing has A single Turbojet Engine for speeding up steep hills. (Another reason for the Ore-Fuel-Electricity Parts on this thing) This thing will circumnavigate by land, with the help of a few satellites locating it's next refuel spot! I still have to launch 2 more satellites, one for massive Ore Locations, and one for Locating small amounts of Ore. This thing will also have emergency Mark II Rovers just in case of system failure. (Thank you Hotaru for the wonderful Rover plans!) This thing is also gigantic, It takes 8 of the biggest types of wheels to support! Also, i am sort've a Noob right now, how do i take screenshots?:blush: Anyay, i Will be off by the end of today, and if not, then the weekend!:cool:

wheey welcome to the challenge :D

you take a screenshot with F1 :)

Welcome to the madness, Mikecraft!

I hope you know how the whole ore scanning thing works. If not, you're in for much frustration. Just remember that ore is distributed by BIOME, not in specific hotspots. If a biome has 5% in some place, it will have 5% everywhere that biome exists on the planet. All the orbital scanner is saying when it shows an apparent "hotspot" is a large general area where there are more good biomes than bad biomes. You need the ground scanner to say how much ore is in the biome you're currently in, and the NBS will map where the biomes are.

Thanks guy's!:)

Thank you for the "how to screenshot" squiggsy!

Thanks for the Info Gesch!

I hope to see your Eve M.D.C 11of10!

I am so glad i am now part of the forums!

Now to serious business, where's Bill? *Crash* *Bang* *boom* ...Found him!:rolleyes: