The Elcano Challenge : Ground-based circumnavigation

Wooooow.... That's some impressive engineering! I know I would've just went to the nearest landmass to the ice cap and driven onto the beach and onto the ice from there. Great work!

Wooooow.... That's some impressive engineering! I know I would've just went to the nearest landmass to the ice cap and driven onto the beach and onto the ice from there. Great work!

thanks a lot! haha i nearly did the same thing, I was building this thing like "this is never going to work, why am I even doing this" and then tested it and IT NEARLY WORKED (I must admit it look me about 5 tries to get this to work, although in actual fact once i changed the winches around I managed it first time)

definitely need to try more stuff like this in future, KIS actually didn't glitch too horrendously while I was doing it (its a miracle!)

I AM FINISHED!!! I'll update this post with a link to my thread when I've updated the final part of the story :)

it'll be there for you to review whenever you have the time.

the last few days doing it have been especially epic but I must admit a part of me is glad it's over, simply because that build of KSP was getting more and more laggy and I spent a lot fo time dealing with about 10fps towards the end (it even dropped to 3.33 for a whole hour at one point) so I'm looking forward to the new version of KSP I'm planning which will hopefully be designed around reducing lag!

I AM FINISHED!!! I'll update this post with a link to my thread when I've updated the final part of the story :)

WTG Squiggsy! I've really enjoyed reading your journal of this trip. Quite some amazing bits of engineering along the way :)

Well, looks like my post vanished. I shall try again.

Welcome Gesch and Squigs to the short list of true circumnavigators! Two very impressive excursions.

Rocket, another nicely done circumnavigation. And an equally impressive retrieval. I'll have you a badge up in a day or so.

Thanks for participating guys. This challenge wouldn't be much without it.

Alrighty, Slight delay in the challenge, 1, my dog has sadly passed due to cancer;.;

R.I.P Nina Lewis

2003-2015

A good Dog

2, When deleting debris from my satellite launch, i terminated my test module of the M.D.C and accidentally killed it's m ain crew, so i have to wait for them to re spawn. (Thank god for Missing crews re spawn option.)

So, i will probably start my excursion this weekend, and btw, it has been improved so Kerbals can play poker in the observation deck.

(I will be naming the mountain Ranges behind the KSC After my dog, the Nina Ranges)

WTG Hotaru!

Welcome Gesch and Squigs to the short list of true circumnavigators! Two very impressive excursions.

Thanks :). Could you perhaps make versions of the badges with ship propellers instead of racing wheels (or something similarly nautical) for those who go by boat?

Ok, i'm gonna take a stab at this. I have a rover design i'm pretty confident in. Gonna use MechJeb as I CBF driving it manually.

My newest rover 'innovation' has been to include landing gear in addition to powered wheels. This means if power is low, I am going downhill, or there is a risk of a hard landing, I can deploy the gear & prevent the tyres from popping.

I think I will start with Duna, as I quite like the planet.

Day 1:

Landed approx 72Sx78E, heading north.

Debris from my skycrane will be taken as my point-of-reference.

Planting flags every 20km or so, heading due north.

4 flags and 67 km later, stopped for the night.

Day 2:

Still heading north.

Passed 45S, starting to get red sand.

Approx 167 km away from landing site, 9 flags.

Edited by kahlzun

My newest rover 'innovation' has been to include landing gear in addition to powered wheels. This means if power is low, I am going downhill, or there is a risk of a hard landing, I can deploy the gear & prevent the tyres from popping.

Very good idea, that's what I did with my rover. Made it way more reliable. :wink:

As I'm already starting a colony there, I'm likely to start a Duna circumnav. attempt sometime this weekend or next week!

Wish me luck!

(Also, would it be better to go with a fancy, overbuilt rover or a mobile-base type deal with a 4x4 garage built in?)

Frankly, go for something rugged, with redundant parts. Circumnavigsating Duna is a 2000 km drive across deserts and rampy goodness. You wouldn't try that in a jalopy.

Frankly, go for something rugged, with redundant parts. Circumnavigsating Duna is a 2000 km drive across deserts and rampy goodness. You wouldn't try that in a jalopy.

I'll have to keep that in mind...

I'm thinking of making a design similar to this concept, from the game Hardware: Shipbreakers:

AKlW8WN.png

A large "mother" rover with an onboard garage and crew quarters (with a 4x4 or two stored in there), and ultra-heavy-duty suspension.

Small and straightforward can get you there too. I made it round the Mun in a rover that was basically just a Mk1 inline cockpit and four ruggedized wheels. The key was MechJeb's stability control, which helped it handle the frequent jumps.

I'll have to keep that in mind...

I'm thinking of making a design similar to this concept, from the game Hardware: Shipbreakers:

http://i.imgur.com/AKlW8WN.png

A large "mother" rover with an onboard garage and crew quarters (with a 4x4 or two stored in there), and ultra-heavy-duty suspension.

That being the plan for your planned rover had my curiosity.

(DISCLOSURE: Admittedly, I was planning on designing munar-capable mini-RCS MMUs that can mount to a rover for an attempt at this challenge, and I previously did a helicopter carrier rover. And there has been one MOLAB somewhere in this forum that employed minirovers as well. [thread=24775]You might be curious to check it out[/thread]--but don't think because it's done, it can't be done again anymore--speaking for myself, I'm interested in seeing everyone's take and employment on a given concept. :) )

That being the prototype to what became Homeworld: Shipbreakers, now you HAVE my attention. :D

Hope to see what you draft up in this challenge. :) (Although again, disclosure--I might try {EDIT for clarity: an implementation along similar lines, though my focus is on the Mun, and the baby; more aerial; I won't be at Duna in my Apollo challenge playthrough until much later}, if I could get a design to work.)

Edited by B-STRK

The biggest issues so far are part count and weight distribution, as the stock wheels (I play stock) aren't really meant for this sort of stuff.

I'll likely have the large mother-rover carry at least one of these:

lzJ8mWn.png

Which is heavily based off of this:

bNE9TtB.png

I'll likely have my vehicle(s) done by tomorrow, so stay tuned for my attempt!

P.S.: The smaller rover has room inside:

gOIXDXp.png

I think I will join and attempt Eve in stock KSP (the picture has modded visuals; I will remove the visual mods during the circumnavigation). Don't count me in yet, as I think I have a few questions first. First of all, does the contraption I invented in the picture count as a rover? If it does, I will try some other things w/ it and notify you when/if I would like to join. :)

0bVv15Z.png

Edited by JackDugan

I'm a bit curious about design possibilities. I'm attempting a stock circumnavigation of Eve (haven't started yet), and I'd like to see If anyone sees any obvious ways I can improve on my craft. Obviously, the way to go was with only electricity. In water, the craft flips and acts a bit like a paddle boat (with the exception that with paddle boats, only the oars turn, whereas my whole craft flips). Sadly, its top speed is about 2 meters per second in water. I will take an equatorial path with minimal liquid-crossings. On land, wheels are used.

Edited by JackDugan