The Elcano Challenge : Ground-based circumnavigation

6 legs down, and halfway around!

Rollovers do happen at speed--though because of that speed, the first thing to happen usually is that the rover takes to the air. With sufficient control authority and hang time, it's possible to save one's self. Though that last rollover in Leg 6 nearly gave me a heart attack :0.0:. Thank goodness for the low gravity, managed a gentle setting-of-the-rover-on-her-back (Image 5 above). So as long as one lands on a wheel or gear, the chances of coming out of it alive are better than coming down on some other part.

Have to attend to a scheduled launch of Mun base components, then it's back to completing this round trip.

Edited by B-STRK

Another attempt hasn't ended exactly well.

I'm not very sure if I'm doing this properly as my vehicles keep disintegrating whenever they near a hill. It's just uncontrollable downhill!

scKPqi0.png

I want to carry as many Kerbals as possible on this adventure [Current Total = 10], but I've redesigned the vehicle so many times that I'm a little lost at what to do...

It's very easy, I find, to lose track of how fast you are going downhill - which ends in comedy.

Yeah, I'm noticed that. Gravity is not a Kerbal's friend apparently...

Thanks to Bill's engineer skills, he managed to rebuild the exploration vehicle and got it going uphill.

It was going well till the vehicle leapt into the air and exploded, Missing-In-Actioning the entire crew [i'm sure they'll make it back from the wilderness... either that or Jeb will eat them all. It is a possibility (We all know it!) and by Bill's beard, may someone help them all if that happens!]

Attempt number 2, me thinks!

Jeb died a horrible buggy death today when for the third or fourth time in the Elcano legacy, a hill was not really a hill and ate the joints of the craft.

All captured live on Twitch, of course. :)

So my mission is finally underway, at the expense of working on my mod and many other things. Though I have reasons to get it pushed along, or it'll end up getting shelved again.

1.0.4 has caused me some issues, so I am cutting short the asthetics and getting this thing moving. Not sure if I'll do a full mission report elsewhere. (I started one locally which chronicles my boat building learning process, but idk if I'll post.)

Anyhow, here's a peek at the Cockroach. Approximately 10% of the journey in this pic.

Cheers,

~Claw

EVVqcYA.jpg

I'm not very sure if I'm doing this properly as my vehicles keep disintegrating whenever they near a hill. It's just uncontrollable downhill!

You may also be suffering from a bug with the brakes on those wheels. The rover wheels brake tweakables are broken, which causes them to be nearly ineffective. You'll have to use "drive backwards" to slow down while going downhill. That has it's own problems, but might help.

Cheers,

~Claw

So my mission is finally underway, at the expense of working on my mod and many other things. Though I have reasons to get it pushed along, or it'll end up getting shelved again.

That's an odd looking beast. Is it really kerballed?

That's an odd looking beast. Is it really kerballed?

Yes, there are actually two kerbals in command seats inside the service bay. Not the best accomodations, but like I said, 1.0.4 put a crimp in my plans and I need to get moving on the challenge.

I have a couple pictures of the inside of the bay (can't post atm), but there is a drill, fuel cell, two large solar panels, and two kerbals in there. Amazingly, that stuff isn't all clipped on top of itself. Although the drill does run into the fuel cell when it deploys.

Cheers,

-Claw

You may also be suffering from a bug with the brakes on those wheels. The rover wheels brake tweakables are broken, which causes them to be nearly ineffective. You'll have to use "drive backwards" to slow down while going downhill. That has it's own problems, but might help.

Cheers,

~Claw

Thank you for the advice.

I attempted to do something similar, but I had an energy shortage (I had to get a few extra batteries flown in) and using reverse was too expensive.

My next version will have a much large supply of electricity and I'll attempt to do something similar in my next run.

Yes, there are actually two kerbals in command seats inside the service bay. Not the best accomodations, but like I said, 1.0.4 put a crimp in my plans and I need to get moving on the challenge.

Coo. I hope neither of them is eating beans too often.

So I've taken up this challenge. I'll be doing a polar nav around Minmus. Richmund Kerman has already completed the first leg of the trip, as seen in this album

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Wish me luck! Going to get the second leg in tonight, too.

EDIT: Sorry there's not a gallery... I can't seem to figure it out.

Edited by spudman2
fixed it for you

So, I loaded my craft after leg 1, and a kraken had eaten it and its' pilot... I installed hyperedit to put a replacement where the first one was, because that was unfair. Also, I need to design another rocket...

Thanks Claw

EDIT (again):

Added Leg 2 of the trip, as I have just realized I never actually posted it.

Edited by spudman2
thanks claw

Coo. I hope neither of them is eating beans too often.

Haha. That's a valid point. Although Foxter definitely outdid me in the "manned service bay" department.

So, I loaded my craft after leg 1, and a kraken had eaten it and its' pilot...

Thanks Claw

Aww. I had that happen last night, actually. Fortunately I had a recent quicksave. I learned to make lots of them when doing a previous long-range rover challenge...

And you're welcome!

Cheers,

~Claw

Alright, my Ike roadtrip is so far really good. I've gone 26.2 km, and I want to hit 40 km by when I go to bed. Low gravity is a pain, and I have to drive slow to make sure I don't flip over or spin outta control. I can't time accelerate, as I drift and go really slow (how?). I will beat this!