The Elcano Challenge : Ground-based circumnavigation

Okay, Leg Nine is here, and it turns out to be quite the section.

I suspect the R in KER's g-meter is to reset the maximum reading display.

I am carrying a ludicrous amount of monoprop around Mun. Even before I scraped off most of the RCS thrusters, the supply was clearly excessive.

I don't envy you plugging on with 3 wheels; good job that Minmus's gravity is so modest. I quite shamelessly did my circumnavigation in sandbox mode, so with level-5 staff.

Is Eeloo Elcano challenge a thing? Because I'd love to try to do it.

Noone did it yet, that's why it is not on the board yet.

I'll give this one a go. It will likely take me a long time, so don't expect it to be online tomorrow ;p

mmm, which body shall I do?

Anyway I promised I would give this a go and chose Eeloo too XD, due to the New Horizons mission and Eeloo being the closest analogue to Pluto. The setup chapter is up now, check it out on my thread created for this challenge: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/129596-Elcano-Challenge-on-Eeloo

Is Eeloo Elcano challenge a thing? Because I'd love to try to do it.

If it's round and you can drive on it, yes.

Leaderboard updated. Gilly badge added.

Congrats to Claw, the infamous mod, for completing his circumnavigation of Kerbin. I'm sure you got some ideas for additions to your plugin along the way. Funny itsn't it? When you push the envelope, you discover exactly where the envelope is flawed.

Congrats to spudman2 for a circumnavigation of Minmus. You're braver than I am. I wouldn't use balloon tires for... well... balloons much less tires.

Again, sorry it's taken me a bit to get around to this. Between trying to learn to mod and work my free time has seemed to vanish. I do still follow and read this thread but by the time I remember to read it, it's off too work. Like right now, 15 minutes and I'm out the door.

Edited by Fengist

I like this challenge on multiple levels, not just the adventure but the opportunity to put a rover build to the ultimate test.

So I'm going to do this on as many celestial bodies as I can stand until I puke, and I'm going to do it all with the same basic rover build, using KIS/KAS but no other gamechanging mods, and with all science equipment (including materials bay) in tow. I'll even throw in Kerbin and Laythe and maybe a sea route on Eve if I can get some portable pontoons working. Since I'm using KIS/KAS, my intention is to treat it like a "survivor" offroad marathon, with infrequent or no refueling, but with the ability to use winches, and possibly make field repairs by reconfiguring the vehicle to compensate for broken parts, and with the mission objective of science collection (I'm also using a single-part mod for a radial science-storage compartment to facilitate this) from every biome I visit.

I've already run Minmus from the equator to the pole, I will post a thread in mission reports with details on my plans and the first leg of Minmus, probably later today.

Well, I recall Fengist saying that delivering your rover should be a part of the challenge so... maybe better not consider that option. What did you make btw? I still haven't found acceptable way of delivering mine to wherever :D

delivering your rover should be a part of the challenge

Question: I already have a rover sitting on Minmus in a very convenient location for few ingame years. Can I use it to circumnavigate or I need to haul a new, "clean" rover from KSC with screenshots proving delivery? Or a screenshot of the same rover delivery vessel in VAB might be enough?

Question: I already have a rover sitting on Minmus in a very convenient location for few ingame years. Can I use it to circumnavigate or I need to haul a new, "clean" rover from KSC with screenshots proving delivery? Or a screenshot of the same rover delivery vessel in VAB might be enough?

I am not the organiser, but it seems clear to me that we're on the honour system for much of the challenge, given that if you don't make some stupid mistake like having the clock go backwards it would be easy to cheat undetected. So as far as I'm concerned, if you say you didn't HyperEdit it there, you didn't, and so much the better for trying the challenge with a rover not specifically designed for it.

Well, I recall Fengist saying that delivering your rover should be a part of the challenge so... maybe better not consider that option. What did you make btw? I still haven't found acceptable way of delivering mine to wherever :D

The rover I am making is still in progress, but it currently looks more like a car than a rover. Through testing I found that if you hit a hill on Minmus at more than about 5 m/s, all the joints fail, so there is still a lot of work to do.

I just have a question, am I allowed to Hyperedit my Rover out to Minmus, and then start driving, or do I have to get over there legit?

Correct, no hyperedit. It's about the journey, not the destination.

- - - Updated - - -

Completed Circumnavigating Eeloo: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/129596-Elcano-Challenge-on-Eeloo?p=2107688#post2107688

I'll check back later for the badge Fengist, for now enjoy yourself modding :P

Contrats nigelvn. Welcome to the group of explorers. I see you found a way to have turning radius and prevent flat tires. Fascinating. I'll try to get you a badge up in a few days. Again, well done... and thanks ;)