The Elcano Challenge : Ground-based circumnavigation

To some extent - but I think doing it without the fallback of being able to pop out a new vehicle if you break the current one is also part of it.

6. You may use replacement vehicles.

I think the rules are only meant to preclude significant redesigns, not like-for-like replacements. That said, I did mine without replacements and dealt with the bits that fell off.

Yeah - the original spirit of it was about battling on with what you had, and my Kerbin vehicle took much work before I was confident it'd stay in one piece. That said, my munar jaunt is more like the evolution of an organism than a bunch of Kerbals trundling around a planet.

It's got stuck, anyway :) the south pole of Mun is a harsh place to navigate.

Can I use the F3 menu if it only shows 0 distance at start?

I'm not sure what you're asking here, but it might also be important to note that the F3 log resets itself whenever you load the flight scene. Which means if you quicksave/quickload, or leave the vessel for any reason, it'll reset. Which is unfortunately, because it would be nice to know the cumulative distance traveled for a vessel.

Cheers,

~Claw

I am dumb.

Not at all. I just wasn't sure if I understood what you were really asking. F3 logs/screenshots aren't required by the rules. The rules just state that there needs to be some proof of the adventure.

You may do as I did and mark your path via flags. Or you may provide ample proof via screen shots.

F3 would do that, but isn't strictly required. Not sure if that's what you're asking about.

Cheers,

~Claw

One brief question which I still have after reading the first page... what's the technical difference between a kerbin land circumnavigation and a boat circumnavigation? Is it a land circumnavigation when you stay on land as much as possible and a boat circumnavigation when staying on water as much as possible?

This is just brilliant, so it joins the other brilliant challenges featured on the TOTM, stickied for October :D

Awesome!

Just wanna say, I was here way before it was cool. :cool:

Not that I'm cool, just... never mind.

Anyways, grats to Fengist! :D

On Kerbin I can corner up to 35m/s, then it has a tendency to start lifting it's wheels but easy to correct. On a completely flat surface that is. A lot of work has gone into the suspension, it's an enlarged phase III IFV chassis. It can drive at full speed with multiple wheels on one side broken, without problems.

http://i.imgur.com/S9eRV9N.gifv

Aw crap. I've been stickied. Now I'll have to update this post. :confused: I'll be around later today take care of that. :) Thanks Sal. Glad that everyone is enjoying it.

Edited by Fengist

So I'm guessing no hyper edit to the object you'd circumnavigate?

You guessed correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

One brief question which I still have after reading the first page... what's the technical difference between a kerbin land circumnavigation and a boat circumnavigation? Is it a land circumnavigation when you stay on land as much as possible and a boat circumnavigation when staying on water as much as possible?

Check this link

But, that only applies to Master Mariner. If you want the Kerbin badge, ground or water, you have to cross that land bridge.

Well, now this has been stickied I should circumnavigate a body to honor it ;P

Probably doing a Kerbin water circumnavigation, using your mod. Perhaps even my yacht with minor tweaks. Have to think about a solution for that land bridge though...

EDIT: Fengist, am I allowed to put a buggy on the yacht, and then when I have arrived at the land bridge use it to cross the land? I do leave the yacht at that point, this is why I ask the question

EDIT EDIT: I reread the text and apperently I don't need to cross the part for master mariner, I'll do that instead XD

Edited by nigelvn

screenshot559.png

I've just completed the circumnavigation of Minmus along the equator followed by the cirumnavigation of Minmus over the poles. I'll only post the BTDT map at the end here, other pictures will be in the mission thread.

I've journied along the equator and later along the 0 and 180 degree meridian. (And i've followed them as best as i could as you can see on the map).

I did not use Hyperedit, Mechjeb, Kerbaljointreënforcement. Neither did i use timewarp. Minmus will never be the same again for me.

Edited by TheCardinal