The Elcano Challenge : Ground-based circumnavigation

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

OK, I can't find it anywhere now, but did I read somewhere in the thread it's possible to circumnavigate Kerbin totally on land?  How?

I suppose in theory you could go to the Westernmost point of the East continent and vice versa, then get from one to the other via the north polar region.

I'm on Elcano hiatus for a bit; the new forums have broken the way I used to embed images, and it's not quite clear yet if it will be impossible or just needlessly difficult to do it in the new world, so I'm waiting a bit to find out.

Curiously I noticed whenever I edited a post with BBcode in, it came back with the corresponding new-forums layout. So what happens if I do this?

plane-small.png

This is pertinent; this is my prototype Project Orion powered spaceplane for moving the Mk IV to other worlds. "I am become death, the destroyer of runways". Fortunately, the colossal weight is arguably an error; the cargo bay and adapters that form the body of the plane are hollow, and TweakScale suggests a lower mass exponent with hollow parts (their weight doesn't grow proportional to volume).

Edited by damerell

With the new forum, I decided it might be a good moment to join. I've been playing KSP for a while now and the new version got me into boats again. So here is my question: would a cirumnavigation by water qualify in this thread?

38 minutes ago, Chemp said:

With the new forum, I decided it might be a good moment to join. I've been playing KSP for a while now and the new version got me into boats again. So here is my question: would a cirumnavigation by water qualify in this thread?

Welcome to the forums Chemp!

Yup, so far I've done 3 water circumnavigations, 2 on Kerbin and one on Laythe.  There's even a distinct category for completing water-only circumnavigations, Master Mariner.  

What does it take to be considered stock? I have a caddy wagon and trailer I built to do this and used a docking washer from IR so it would look better when turning.. it also has windows made with the solar panels from asteroid day. Would those two parts put me in the modded category? Only reason I ask is because if it does, I have a different vehicle I would like to use if that one is considered modded.. even though it's just so dang beautiful. 

Edited by DrMarlboro

27 minutes ago, RexKramer said:
27 minutes ago, RexKramer said:

Yup, so far I've done 3 water circumnavigations, 2 on Kerbin and one on Laythe.  There's even a distinct category for completing water-only circumnavigations, Master Mariner.  

Thank you! I'm about halfway around and it is looking good. But isn't there always a stretch you have to cross by land? Or do I need to look at the map again?

2 hours ago, Chemp said:

Thank you! I'm about halfway around and it is looking good. But isn't there always a stretch you have to cross by land? Or do I need to look at the map again?

Yeah, at some point, you'll have to cross the land bridge. However, if you pick the right location, it won't be very long on land.

Greetings! 

After neglecting Kerbin for so long, I've decided to take up this challenge to get to know the planet a bit better.

I've developed my mostly stock vehicle, the Sanic 8, and put it through vigorous testing to reduce its explosion rate from 100% to 99%. Now, Bill and I are ready to embark!

T4MHf1C.png

I'll be recording my adventures in my mission thread here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/127126-bills-elcano-challenge-attempt/#comment-2309973

I have taken the plunge to circumnavigate Kerbin on a polar path. You can follow my log here, and I would appreciate it if you did. im going to need the encouragement and you dont want to miss out on the fun - first day, and i've already lost one vehicle to stupidity.

I have just completed the Elcano Challenge for Pol here.

Any feedback or comments would be appreciated.

Details: Stock, 1.0.5, ion-driven fuel-cell powered landing gear rover using a skycrane to drop from orbit.

Mods: Engineer ('cause who doesn't), Mechjeb, Hyperedit (for testing, since I build my missions backwards).

Edited by Thalamask
Forgot to add details in.

Now that it's underway, I've started posting about my next Elcano adventure. For my next trip, I'm combining the Jool-5 and Elcano challenges into a big mission to the Joolian system. I've started posting the mission planning here. The next post will be about the mission start. Much like before, I'm actually a ways into the trip itself, but posting the mission report is lagging a bit. (I'm trying to catch up, but catching up means no driving, so...)

I finally made it!

In retrosepective I must say that MK2 parts were maybe the wrong choice because of the body lift. I had to throttle down as soon as I reached 200m/s or the boat would make a salto mortale and desintegrate on splashdown. I may modify this design and try it again on Laythe, as soon as I reach Jool in my career.