The Elcano Challenge : Ground-based circumnavigation

3 hours ago, castille7 said:

I think someone needs to maintain this Challenge until we hear back from Fengist.

11 hours ago, Claw said:

It seems Fengist is taking a bit of a hiatus from the forums.

From following his mod page, it seems like Fengist has moved on from ksp. He seems to have lost all his enjoyment for the game, and is stressing out about life, so honestly, I can't blame him. It looks as though someone has already started work on keeping his mod alive since his departure, so finding someone to maintain the challenge may be the only way to keep it going. 

I do hope we hear from him soon though. 

11 hours ago, castille7 said:

I think someone needs to maintain this Challenge until we hear back from Fengist.

While that's an understandable request, there's not really a time limit for "abandonment" of a thread. It might be good to give him a bit more time.

42 minutes ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Just read what Fengist posted on KerbalTopia. 

-SPAddict
I feel like crying.

Well, I love the marine stuff I was a Marine Officer for 15 years and was planning to get involved with mods like his in the near future but it now seems that could be a longtime from now after reading this post on KerbalTopia. Maybe Squad will consider his work on their second release or hire Fengist for future work? I wish the best for his future endeavors and yes it is sad to see this.

22 hours ago, Claw said:

While that's an understandable request, there's not really a time limit for "abandonment" of a thread. It might be good to give him a bit more time.

I dunno, Claw... if you read his post, it's not a "be back soon, chaps" kinda post. More like "won't be back at all, ever, so $*^& you all" if anything.

Oh man..

I come back from my hiatus. Only to find out Fengist has gone on one of his own.. :(

Yeah, it's been a few weeks pause, sorry everyone. I was busy first, then got distracted with other things, and other games.. and now I'm back to finish my Minmus trip. I'll be done in a few days, I guess. Made some progress today, will update my thread tomorrow.

Also, new forum, looks a lot better now. Neat.

3 hours ago, Thalamask said:

I dunno, Claw... if you read his post, it's not a "be back soon, chaps" kinda post. More like "won't be back at all, ever, so $*^& you all" if anything.

Let's not go that far. He did say that the mod is over, and he is going to let his site lapse. But I would definitely agree that for the foreseeable future he's gone. 

Can't quote properly today on these slightly stoaty new forums, but he wouldn't be the first person to come back after ragequitting. And while I sympathise with the wasted work, I think it was inevitable that an improvement in stock buoyancy would cause difficulty for the Marine Pack - and that Squad's focus is rightly on things that fly not things that sail.

10 hours ago, Claw said:

I request that we not turn this challenge thread into speculation about Fengist. Speculation is certainly understandable, but maybe misplaced in this thread.

Exactly. 

I'm going ahead with the challenge speculation or no speculation. I don't know if I'll succeed, but how hard could it be?

From now on, everything in italics is ironic. 

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2015‎ ‎1‎:‎12‎:‎07‎, DrMarlboro said:

From following his mod page, it seems like Fengist has moved on from ksp.

I'm bummed to hear this, but I'm not letting it stop me.  I started circumnavigating the Mun before 1.0.5 came out and made it about a quarter way around.  But I restarted my career with 1.0.5, and even though I'm not quite there yet, when I'm ready, I absolutely plan on finishing what I started. 

This isn't about a badge anymore, it's Me vs the Mun... and I'm not going to let the Mun win!

48 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

This isn't about a badge anymore, it's Me vs the Mun... and I'm not going to let the Mun win!

I was going to circumnavigate Kerbin, but you reminded me of my deep hatred and contradictory love of Munar missions. Mun Buggy, here we come!

Back on topic then, I have just completed the Elcano Challenge for Ike here.

Any feedback or comments would be appreciated.

Details: Stock, 1.0.5, wheel-driven RTG powered rover using a skycrane to drop from orbit.

Mods: Engineer ('cause who doesn't), Mechjeb, Hyperedit (for testing, since I build my missions backwards).

Just update my thread back at mission reports, linked the imgur album.

I didn't know that in the last update brakes got buffed, a really welcome change! Slowing down on Minmus was a real pain before, but now it's so much easier :cool:

Hey, guys, I've circumnavigated Minmus!

It was pretty boring, and in reality, not as difficult as I suspected. I did use MechJeb's rover autopilot. Most of the stuff I didn't need, but stability control was a godsend. It automatically synchronised the rover's orientation with the surface of Minmus, which, when combined with the huge amount of reaction torque I had, led to a much more stable driving experience. I recorded the entire thing with PersistentTrails, but there are a couple of spots where it glitched and stopped recording. The biggest one is across a small valley and is about 5 km, sorry about that. Here's the link for the .trk file.

My main forum thread is here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/127794-elcano-challenge-a-waterlubber-circumnavigates-minimus/
Cheers! Do note that the entire progress won't be there until a few days when I  have time to aggregate, commentate and post screenshots

Made a few missing badges you might like.  Think they are fairly close to the spirit of the original creators concept.    Can be changed, pitched, burned, etc.

OmqePoF.png

ZqUHxk4.png

Edited by esinohio