The Elcano Challenge : Ground-based circumnavigation

7 hours ago, esinohio said:

Made a few missing badges you might like.

Those look great!

Can you make the name text in all caps, like the others? (For some reason, Pol managed to get posted in mixed case, but the rest are upper case.) If it's too late, that's okay too. It's better than I can do. :P

5 hours ago, Thalamask said:

Nice one, Claw! I see you encountered the 700m bug as well.

Thanks, and I did indeed. I hadn't been to Pol before, so it was a bit of a surprise when I arrived back at the start. haha

1 hour ago, Claw said:

Those look great!

Can you make the name text in all caps, like the others? (For some reason, Pol managed to get posted in mixed case, but the rest are upper case.) If it's too late, that's okay too. It's better than I can do. :P

/snip

jg2pJZU.png

o54nXSw.png

Uppercase :)

I have just completed the Elcano Challenge for Eeloo here.

Any feedback or comments would be appreciated.

Details: Stock, 1.0.5, wheel-driven RTG powered rover using a skycrane to drop from orbit.

Mods: Engineer ('cause who doesn't), Mechjeb, Hyperedit (for testing, since I build my missions backwards).

I'm going to take a break from Elcano's for a bit to have a go at the Jool 5 challenge. Wish me luck!

3 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Umm, Claw, maybe it isn't right to ask this here, but maybe you could keep this OP updated while Fengist is on *Insert time* hiatus?

That would be cool... I've completed three Elcano's and my first still hasn't even made it onto the list! ;.;

Also, I really, really like your avatar!

Edited by Thalamask

Hello everyone, long-time lurker and new forum member here. Always thought that this challenge was an interesting one, though unfortunately didn't have much of an excuse to perform it. However, in my career mode I have recently landed a hulking 26kg rover to trek around Duna. It landed roughly near the equator in the canyon and I figured that I'd drive over to my first interplanetary probe, landed on the equator about 1/3 around the planet. So, for the hell of it, I'm seeing if I can do this challenge "while I'm at it".

2015-12-18_00001_zpsqtxzxgro.jpg

2015-12-18_00003_zpszf0ulicl.jpg

2015-12-18_00008_zpsg5wbx5nx.jpg

(I have five crew on here, including an engineer, so the wheel is fine :P)

Edited by einzelgaenger

13 hours ago, einzelgaenger said:

Hello everyone, long-time lurker and new forum member here. Always thought that this challenge was an interesting one, though unfortunately didn't have much of an excuse to perform it. However, in my career mode I have recently landed a hulking 26kg rover to trek around Duna. It landed roughly near the equator in the canyon and I figured that I'd drive over to my first interplanetary probe, landed on the equator about 1/3 around the planet. So, for the hell of it, I'm seeing if I can do this challenge "while I'm at it".

2015-12-18_00001_zpsqtxzxgro.jpg

2015-12-18_00003_zpszf0ulicl.jpg

2015-12-18_00008_zpsg5wbx5nx.jpg

(I have five crew on here, including an engineer, so the wheel is fine :P)

Good luckie! This challenge is either mainly how well you like driving, or sheer patience! Have fun driving around the Mars ripoff! ;)

9 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Good luckie! This challenge is either mainly how well you like driving, or sheer patience! Have fun driving around the Mars ripoff! ;)

Driving's probably the hardest (and most challenging, imo) thing to do in KSP. I can really only drive this thing safely at 20-25m/s in case I accidentally ramp the truck. Going to limit myself to maybe an hour or two of driving per day.

I would like to record my journey, though the Mission Reports link in OP seems to be broken.

4 hours ago, einzelgaenger said:

I would like to record my journey, though the Mission Reports link in OP seems to be broken.

Dunno about the OP, but I think the links in my signature link into the right forum still.
I'm not totally sure your rover weighs 26kg. :-)

2 hours ago, damerell said:

Dunno about the OP, but I think the links in my signature link into the right forum still.
I'm not totally sure your rover weighs 26kg. :-)

Ah, that was a stupid typo on my part! Meant to say 26,000kg, not 26kg! And it goes up to ~31,000kg when the ore tanks are full.

WpR7Mr3.png

I have just completed the Elcano Challenge for Gilly here.

Any feedback or comments would be appreciated.

Details: Stock, 1.0.5, ion-driven fuel-cell powered rover dropping from orbit under it's own power.

Mods: Engineer ('cause who doesn't), Mechjeb, Hyperedit (for testing, since I build my missions backwards).

Back to my Jool-5 attempt now! :D

Edited by Thalamask

Question for those taking the Elcano challenge: I'm driving a mere 100km on Duna right now to move my base. My "Catepillar" craft keeps smacking into invisible boulders or potholes or something, because I can be driving along smoothly, and then WHAM! It's as if I slammed into something head on. I was wondering if others are experiencing that during their challenge.

54 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Question for those taking the Elcano challenge: I'm driving a mere 100km on Duna right now to move my base. My "Catepillar" craft keeps smacking into invisible boulders or potholes or something, because I can be driving along smoothly, and then WHAM! It's as if I slammed into something head on. I was wondering if others are experiencing that during their challenge.

I haven't experienced any of that since I've started my Duna journey. I'll post if I do, however.

We all spend so much time in KSP in big rockets, trying to go to other planets, and we are sad when they drop down to Kerbin and explode. It's like we spend all our time in the game trying to leave Kerbin, and it's beauty never gets appreciated as much as it should. That's why I'd like to try this challenge, to explore all the way around the planet. I will probably have a vehicle ready for the trek in a few days. Here's the first design, which worked pretty well:

I drove it on the runway and on the flat land by KSC, testing timewarp (which broke the drills) and solar panels, and turning. It's quite stable on land at less than 2-3x timewarp. Then I drove it off the coast into Booster Bay (that's what it's called right?). The jets give out every couple of seconds, keeping the velocity at a relatively constant 8 m/s. I was able to get about halfway to the abandoned airstrip before the game crashed. Promising design overall, and I've made a second design already. I'll have to post a mission report on it once I get more screenshots of testing.

Edit: Here's the in-progress report: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/128682-the-kerbin-appreciation-project/

Edited by cubinator

I've exchanged PMs with Fengist, and it seems he won't be returning for a long while.

I've reposted the Elcano Challenge here for continuation. Over the next few days, I will be updating the new thread with completions posted since Fengist's last update. Should Fengist return, the two threads will be merged and Elcano will continue as before.

Cheers,
~Claw