do you prioritize aesthetics or efficiency?

Cirocco

lmao whenever I use the fairings they wobble like crazy and i end up having to strut up everything inside, I find it makes my payload act taller :( & i find i end up having all this empty space at the top of my fairing because otherwise it would clip slightly.

But yet, from time to time, more frequently now i will use fairings for the launchers.

I do quite like making elaborate and near unmanageable staging, so long as it does the job, and looks good doing it , then it must be brilliantly efficient.

A small stipulation that I appearantly didn't convey correctly: I'm talking about interplanetary ships, not launchers or spaceplanes/SSTO's.

For launchers: form follows function as has been mentioned many, many times before. Efficient launchers look sleek and cool. But what do you do with interplanetary ships? I find that form does NOT follow function in those. If I skap on all things I need to complete a mission, my interplanetary transfer vehicle either looks ugly as hell or they all end up looking exactly the same way.

I strike a balance between the two. My launch vehicles are usually standardized and not really built for a specific mission in mind but rather a range of payload masses and cross sections so these tend to be of the "Boring but Practicle" kind.

My payloads are usually custom built, either for a specific mission or a mission range so these tend to be more creative and aesthetically pleasing.

Finally, my specialty items tend to be the ones that focus on aesthetics; Mun Rover, Carryall Dropship, Kerbal ATV, my APC, my Mobile Launch Platform, etc.

EDIT: didn't notice above post.

My interplanetary ships fall in the spacecraft category (sub directory of the payload category) so these tend to have some aesthetic flavors. X shaped solar panels, crisscrossed struts, small details of that nature.

Edited by AmpsterMan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.