Island Hot Hop Challenge

The Island Hot Hop Challenge

Challenge: Race between islands to get the top speed and best overall time.

Rules:

1. Stock Parts
  2. NEAR\FAR get rated separate from Stock aero
  3. No SAS or ASAS units
  4. Two Rockets must be used on lift off
  5. After two rockets are spent must be at full throttle
  6. Cannot throttle down till the final landing
  7. Wheels must touch the ground before lifting off again
  8. Legs 2 & 3 must be in the upper Atmo (gotta see the burn effects)
  9. Legs 2 & 3 must achieve over 1k m/s
  10. Time is based on Mission Time (F3)
  11. Top speed in based on captured speed (F3)
  12. Craft must still be airworthy after the final landing

Path:

GftjFkK.png

Capture your top speed and overall time. Be sure to note if you are in FAR\Near or Stock

Pilot - FAR\Near - Time\Top Speed

Pilot - Stock Time\Top Speed

Jatwaa - 12:37s\1085 m/s -

Edited by Jatwaa

I suspect in theory that times under 8 minutes are possible, but I'll be damned if I could pull off a time like that. It would involve a climb to about 28km so as to achieve an orbital velocity followed by a near-vertical re-entry angle just before completing legs 2 and 3, and possible also to complete leg 1.

I suspect in theory that times under 8 minutes are possible, but I'll be damned if I could pull off a time like that. It would involve a climb to about 28km so as to achieve an orbital velocity followed by a near-vertical re-entry angle just before completing legs 2 and 3, and possible also to complete leg 1.

I believe so as well, I went with a very safe aircraft with one engine, my pathing was pretty bad and I screwed up the last leg. Shave off those mistakes and I think 8 minutes would be possible with a better craft.

Here is my attempt... I see that the craft must be flight worthy at the end... What if it was landed backwards and lost only a few parts? Do I get bonus points???

I think I can do better, just have to stick my final landing.

time: 11:26

top speed: 1080

Highest altitude: 22,981

Highest G load: 7.6G

video link: http://youtu.be/FAcQvzNqyBU

Here is my attempt... I see that the craft must be flight worthy at the end... What if it was landed backwards and lost only a few parts? Do I get bonus points???

I think I can do better, just have to stick my final landing.

time: 11:26

top speed: 1080

Highest altitude: 22,981

Highest G load: 7.6G

video link: http://youtu.be/FAcQvzNqyBU

Those touch and go landings are difficult! I figured the toughest part would be the dive from the upper atmo to land. It makes things interesting! The safe landing without breaking things was a last second thing to make it even more so hahaha! That was a great flight though!

The most difficult part for me was finding enough of a flat area on the big Island(I call it Kermuda). I designed the plane to fly very straight so I could come in low, level out and just skip off the top of a hill. You saw how that went at the end. lol Great challenge.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.