[1.0.5] LightsOut (v0.1.5) - Day/Night Mode in VAB/SPH

nodrog6

• 2 weeks later...

Feature request - include cabin lights in the list of things to illuminate when active. Often, a large portion of my builds include crewed parts that have cabin lights that play a large part in night-time aesthetics. Would be amazing if those were toggled on/off as well as the normal lights, but I don't know how doable that would be (they mostly use ModuleAnimateGeneric which is also used by antennas and solar panels etc)..

• 2 weeks later...
Feature request - include cabin lights in the list of things to illuminate when active. Often, a large portion of my builds include crewed parts that have cabin lights that play a large part in night-time aesthetics. Would be amazing if those were toggled on/off as well as the normal lights, but I don't know how doable that would be (they mostly use ModuleAnimateGeneric which is also used by antennas and solar panels etc)..

I'll look into adding the cabin lights - that feature sounds cool. I'm also working on ways to match the inside VAB/SPH time with the outside time, though progress is slow as I've got a lot going on at my job right now.

Lastly, I've rebuilt the mod for KSP 1.0.5. Enjoy!

Edited by nodrog6

Feature requests

1. Have an option to display the 'outside' based on time of day, where only the "kerbal made" lights would be toggled. That way, if it's night outside it would still show as night outside even inside the VAB/SPH. (Since time doesn't move in the VAB/SPH, you only have to check it once when the scene loads)

2. Make right clicking the toolbar button be the equivalent of Alt+U, instead of Alt+L. (left clicking would remain unchanged).

Edited by Alshain

Is this compatible with the cloud packs from EVE? I want to be able to have clouds inside the VAB

No. During daytime mode, the editor uses the default skybox. During nighttime mode, the editor shows the night sky without clouds.

+1 for configurable hotkeys. The L hotkey conflicts with the RCS Build Aid mod (which I've got using IJKL for thrusters when in VAB/SPH). In the meantime I may get around to recompiling myself with a different hard-coded key :-)

• 4 months later...

For anyone wondering what's going on with 1.1: I started work on updating for 1.1, but there are several changed lightsources and missing pre-baked lightmaps in this prerelease.  This bug shows off the issue.  I'm waiting until the final 1.1 release to update.  Stay patient and let's hope Squad can bring the VAB and SPH back to their former glory!

5 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Does having the lights on the VAB/SPH walls turned on, affect the Pixel Count, if there are already lots of light sources on the craft itself?

Sorry, I'm not 100% sure what you mean by your question.

The lights that are missing seem to be part of prebaked lightmap on the walls.  The 6 or 8 light arrays that line the bottom (plus their pulsing textures) are missing too.  There aren't many Light-type objects in the VAB/SPH.  Most of the intricate lighting was created using textures and lightmaps.

On 4/7/2016 at 0:27 AM, nodrog6 said:

For anyone wondering what's going on with 1.1: I started work on updating for 1.1, but there are several changed lightsources and missing pre-baked lightmaps in this prerelease.  This bug shows off the issue.  I'm waiting until the final 1.1 release to update.  Stay patient and let's hope Squad can bring the VAB and SPH back to their former glory!

Thanks for posting this update, looking forward to trying it out once it's ready.

On 4/10/2016 at 2:40 PM, nodrog6 said:

Sorry, I'm not 100% sure what you mean by your question.

The lights that are missing seem to be part of prebaked lightmap on the walls.  The 6 or 8 light arrays that line the bottom (plus their pulsing textures) are missing too.  There aren't many Light-type objects in the VAB/SPH.  Most of the intricate lighting was created using textures and lightmaps.

Please bear with me, as I may not know exactly what I'm talking about...lol

I read in the Surface Lights thread, that there is a limit on the number of lights that can be rendered by the engine in the same scene, and that this limit can be set in the Graphics Settings (I assume thats the Pixel Count setting)...

I had craft i built in the SPH, that had 8 lights on it... When I used Lights Out, it seemed some of the craft-mounted lights lit up, but did not throw any light...I also had the Pixel Count setting set to 8...

Plus, leaving the hangar lights on, kind of diffuses the light thrown off by craft lights... I would rather have total darkness in the hangar, lit with ONLY craft mounted lights... Kind of what Dimmable VAB/SPH mod did...

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Gaiiden said:

although it does change to night outside, the interior lighting is still on, but switches to a reddish color

Well, yeah. I just modified the code in parts required to compile and run the module. Remaining will be fixed by module author, I hope.

I just love lights, I very do. I put lotta 'em on my space stations and having this nice module helps a lot :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.