Cloud configurations for Outer Planets Mod [Last Update: 2015.09.23]

After the update using the Interstellar .cfg Sarnus and Urlum's clouds aren't working for some reason. Though Tekto and Neidon's do. Seems like the glow effect is however working for all of the planets.

Anybody have the same problem? Confused as hell. Usually a set of cfgs either works or doesn't. Never had one half work, lol.

After the update using the Interstellar .cfg Sarnus and Urlum's clouds aren't working for some reason. Though Tekto and Neidon's do. Seems like the glow effect is however working for all of the planets.

Anybody have the same problem? Confused as hell. Usually a set of cfgs either works or doesn't. Never had one half work, lol.

eleusis' configs are split into different files, so if one of them fails the others may still apply.

the reason why your configs are failing is usually caused by the absence of an image file.

since AVP has a lot of optional stuff you should make sure that you have all the image files listed in the cfg

(let me know if you need further help)

I have no idea why, but none of the combinations work. Trying to get this working on a fully up-to-date OPM (+ Kopernicus base) and Astronomers Interstellar (except the Kerbin and Eve clouds have been replaced by the Oblivion variants). No matter how hard I try it just doesn't work for me. Like none of the outer planets have clouds (while the original stock planets do).

Any thoughts or ideas?

I have no idea why, but none of the combinations work. Trying to get this working on a fully up-to-date OPM (+ Kopernicus base) and Astronomers Interstellar (except the Kerbin and Eve clouds have been replaced by the Oblivion variants). No matter how hard I try it just doesn't work for me. Like none of the outer planets have clouds (while the original stock planets do).

Any thoughts or ideas?

Have you installed the clouds for Eve & Jool from AVP Interstellar? It is required for the AVP-Int config (at least the texture-files).

I would need to know which texture-files are located in ' GameData\BoulderCo\Clouds\Textures '. Some textures from AVP-EoO and AVP-Int have the same name but they look different. So I would also need to know which file is from which pack.

With this information I could probably tell you what texture is missing/what combination of configs you need.

Have you installed the clouds for Eve & Jool from AVP Interstellar? It is required for the AVP-Int config (at least the texture-files).

I would need to know which texture-files are located in ' GameData\BoulderCo\Clouds\Textures '. Some textures from AVP-EoO and AVP-Int have the same name but they look different. So I would also need to know which file is from which pack.

With this information I could probably tell you what texture is missing/what combination of configs you need.

I have installed the clouds yes. This is what my folder looks like:

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

PS - The outer planet config files were removed before I print screened these.

I have installed the clouds yes. This is what my folder looks like:

-snip-

PS - The outer planet config files were removed before I print screened these.

Try removing the ' cloudLayers-PlanetFactory.cfg ' and ' cloudLayers-PlanetFactoryAtmo.cfg ' (or just rename them to ' PlanetFactory.cfg ' and ' PlanetFactoryAtmo.cfg ').

The clouds are loaded in alphabetical order of the config file-names. If a single config has a texture path set but the texture is not available, all configs below (in alphabetical order) will not load. If ' cloudLayers-PlanetFactory.cfg ' or ' cloudLayers-PlanetFactoryAtmo.cfg ' causes such an error all configs starting with ' OPM- ... ' won't show up.

Edit: Just a suggestion but you should add a prefix like ' 8 ' to ' cloudLayers-Astronomer'sVisualPack.cfg '. This way the glow effects will load after the clouds. Haven't tested it but it should make a difference.

Edited by Eleusis La Arwall

eleusis' configs are split into different files, so if one of them fails the others may still apply.

the reason why your configs are failing is usually caused by the absence of an image file.

since AVP has a lot of optional stuff you should make sure that you have all the image files listed in the cfg

(let me know if you need further help)

Yeah looking through the .cfgs now I see how their split, But am still confused as hell.

The .cfg file that includes clouds for Neidon, Sarnus and Urlum (OPM-Int-GasGiants.cfg) would be where my problem lies. But as you have probably already mentally noted, Neidon is working fine.

I have a quite unique set up but I personally cannot spot anything that would cause this error. I haven't altered the OPM cloud .cfgs in any way. Though I have customized EVE's Lightning .cfg, Along with adding a few customized .cfgs for default eve's clouds. But the textures used for the default eve .cfg are all custom named as to avoid problems. Not to mention none of my alterations are related to OPM planets.

So anyway, I scanned through all the image requests in the OPM .cfg and all of the files are there. So yeah I've somehow got a half working .cfg Will update if I figure anything out.

Edit : Oh yeah, I also noticed the planets not getting clouds aren't getting auroras either, and again all the image files needed are indeed there and named correctly.

Edited by Subcidal

Hmm that is really an awkward situation. When you see clouds at Neidon, the clouds for Sarnus and Urlum must have been loaded too. To verify that you could press ' Alt + N ' to bring up EVEs in-game interface. When Sarnus/Urlum is focused, scroll through all config files until you reach ' OPM-Int-GasGiants.cfg '. If this one is empty for Sarnus/Urlum but contains layers for Neidon, I have no clue what's going on.

Some other ideas:

What render do you use? Dx9, Dx11 or OpenGL?

Do you see the glow effects?

Did you rename the config files? For example if the Glow effects are loaded before the clouds, you would only see the glow-effects and no clouds (Neidon has reduced Glow, so the clouds could still be visible)

Are you running KSP from a networkdrive?

Not to mention none of my alterations are related to OPM planets.

Just to be sure, you made no radius changes for the planets?

Sigma88 has joined the project and made a ModuleManager config that allows us to combine all configs into one download. The config can determine which CloudMod you have installed and apply only the corresponding configs. If you have any of Sigmas Mod Expansions installed, the config will adjust the color, rotation and auroras to match it.

Download:

KerbalStuff (NEW!)

MEGA: OPMclouds-0-6.zip

TinyUpload: OPMclouds-0-6.zip

Installation:

Open the zip-file and copy the 'GameData' folder into the KSP directory.

Dependency:

Outer Planets Mod

ModuleManager

Supported are the following CloudMods (click on the image for imgur-album):

EVE-7-4

7mUMnF3.jpg

KSPRC

cf9aBVN.jpg

AVP-EoO

j3x7SFt.jpg

AVP-Int

P8hVZc3.jpg

(If you use AVP-Int, make sure to install 'clouds for Eve & Jool').

########## 0-6

- All configs combined into one pack (thanks sigma :)).

- All configs moved to 'GameData/OPMclouds'.

- Reduced altitude of the Glow-layers.

- Reworked Sarnus.

- Adjusted rotation-speeds.

- Reduced opacity for Auroras with KSPRC.

- Small texture called 'alpha1.png' has been added (4x2 pixel). It's used only with EVE since there is no comparable texture available by default.

- An optional OPM-EVE-MoonGlow.cfg has been added.

- Download from KerbalStuff is now available.

########## 0-5

All:

- Urlums colors adjusted to look more like the OPM texture.

- Urlums CloudLayer heights increased to reduce Z-fighting.

- Glow effects on the GasGiants are 'thicker' to create a smooth transition from planet to space (since there is no AA with OpenGL).

- Tekto config replaced with the original Tekto config from OPM 1.5.5 for AVP-Interstellar to match the concept better. Some small adjustments but it's mostly the original file.

EVE-pack:

- Removed glow-effects on moons to match stock bodys.

KSPRC:

- Reworked old glow-effects on moons to fit the KSPRC-style better.

- Added glow-effects to Hale, Priax and Tal.

AVP-EoO:

AVP-Int:

The config file of each CloudMod is used for the determination. Don't make changes to these files or rename them unless you know what you are doing.

The optional OPM-EVE-MoonGlow.cfg only gives a glow to the moons added by OPM (except Ovok and Plock). If there is interest in a config for the stock bodys, leave a comment.

Edited by Eleusis La Arwall
Added dependency-information. Added picutres and updated changelog. Added KerbalStuff as host

Ooh ooh

New feature suggestion if that's okay

SKY has volumetric rings for Syterion

Hence I'd imagine volumetric rings for Sarnus and Urlum would look impressive

Thanks for the suggestion! I always like to try new features :)

I've played a bit around with the rings and some surface dust effects. You can see some pictures here. (picture 1 is from Tal, picture 2 & 3 are from Polta)

So far I've noticed 3 problems with the rings:

1. Since it's a cloud layer the ring will be black on the orbit around the shadow-side of Sarnus (picture 4).

2. A LOT of layers would be required for the entire ring.

3. I don't see any volumetric clouds at that altitude (picture 6).

I used a 2048x1024 texture, that is empty except an one-pixel thick horizontal line in the middle. A 4096x2048 texture would be better but it will load up the RAM more.

If you or others are still interested in that feature, tell me and I'll make an optional config :)

The surface dust is a bit tricky. On Slate, Polta and Wal it's pretty easy because the bodys are mostly spherical. The other bodys like Hale, Priax and Tal are more difficult due to the nature of their terrain. If I add a layer above the ground you will only see dust in the valleys. If I increase the altitude of the dust you will have dust above you when landed in a valley. If I use multiple layers the density of the dust gets too high very quickly.

That auto detection is a really impressive feature Eleusis! I usually make a couple tweaks to my cloud .cfgs; with this new format, would one edit the files from the download or is there a cache made after first launch that I should look in?

I worked on that, so I can give you a couple of tips for editing:

1- If you want to edit the clouds for the Stock Planets/Moons

This mod looks at the first CLOUD_LAYER of each CLOUD_LAYER_PACK

so if you want to modify the default file from the mod you are using you need to make sure you don't change the first CLOUD_LAYER

that's pretty simple.

2- If you want to edit the clouds for OPM Planets/Moons

If you want to change anything in the OPM clouds you will need to do it from the cfg and not use the "save" button in EVE UI

the configs are located in "GameData/OPMClouds/" and are divided in different folders (depending on which feature they are adding)

if you just want to remove some type of clouds (like glows, or auroras... etc) you can just delete the relative folder

if you actually want to change the clouds in some way, you need to change them into the config.

once you enter the folder you will find more than one config, they are named after the mod they are designed for so basically you just need to edit the one for the mod you are using.

Did a little config digging and had a chuckle at something in one of them.

:D

If you are talking about what I think you are talking, that was my revenge after losing many hours of sleep for an issue that has little to no sense to exist.

I also reported it here but never received an answer

Hello, I recently installed OPM along with Astonomer's Visual Pack - Interstellar V2, just by following the instructions within the AVP-IV2 zip file. However after installing OPMclouds 0.6 there appears to be no change to the OPM planets at all, they simply look stock. I am also running KSP in OpenGL mode, and below are screenshots of all my currently installed mods as well as the BoulderCo folders.

KSP%20Mod%20List.png

OPMClouds%20BoulderCo%20Folders.png

you need to have at least the following files:

BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/altostratus
[COLOR=#ff0000]BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/aurora1[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/aurora2[/COLOR]
BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/cirrus
BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/detail1
[COLOR=#ff0000]BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/detailAurora[/COLOR]
BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/detaileve1
BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/duna1
BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/eve1
BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/joolLayers1

you are missing those marked in red

Oh you need to install the Aurora? I didn't realize that since in the AVP-IV2 zip it said optional -- I'll test that and edit this post with the results.

EDIT: Hey Sigma it worked! Thanks for the help, really appreciate it. :)

Edited by CoriW

Oh you need to install the Aurora? I didn't realize that since in the AVP-IV2 zip it said optional -- I'll test that and edit this post with the results.

if you don't want the auroras you can just delete the auoras folder from OPMClouds

if you do that, everything should load fine even without those textures

if you don't want the auroras you can just delete the auoras folder from OPMClouds

if you do that, everything should load fine even without those textures

To be honest the only reason I didn't install them was because one guy somewhere on the forums mentioned he was crashing with the Aurora's, but it seems to be running just fine for me, so I'll keep them! :)

there is this weird bug that makes it so all the opm clouds have green in them: http://imgur.com/a/zGnvZ

hmmm

that could be a million of things :)

which cloud pack are you using? (EVE or AVP?)

I think there's probably some weird interaction between my CloudsRecolor cfg and some cloud that is not in the standard cloud packs.

you should try a clean install with

KSP 1.0.4

OPM

SigmaRecolor

EVE or APV (whichever you use)

OPMClouds

if the clouds are fine with these 5 mods it means there is some weird interaction with some other mod.

you can try add your mods back a few at a time to see when the green pops up

and back-up your saves!

Edited by Sigma88

hmmm

that could be a million of things :)

which cloud pack are you using? (EVE or AVP?)

I think there's probably some weird interaction between my CloudsRecolor cfg and some cloud that is not in the standard cloud packs.

you should try a clean install with

KSP 1.0.4

OPM

SigmaRecolor

EVE or APV (whichever you use)

OPMClouds

if the clouds are fine with these 5 mods it means there is some weird interaction with some other mod.

you can try add your mods back a few at a time to see when the green pops up

and back-up your saves!

this also happens without your recoulerations and i have eve

this is definitely wierder then.

oh yeah, I'm dumb!

sorry, I just noticed you have both ATM and texture replacer installed.

I guess it could be because the texture we have uploaded is png.

try using this one instead

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qg9wzecuh16nkvi/alpha1.dds

put it into GameData/BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures

and delete the alpha1.png you will find there

you may need to delete the cache of ATM, but I'm not sure since I don't use it

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.