So, you have a plane on a conveyor belt...

Randazzo

24 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Oddly enough.... while trying to figure out where I have heard of Spherical frictionless cows in a vacuum, I discovered they do make vacuums for cows

Milking machines uses vacuum as in under pressure like an vacuum cleaner its also used to pump the milk. 
You can even get robotic milking machines who the cows initiates, this require non spherical cows with legs. 

20 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Milking machines uses vacuum as in under pressure like an vacuum cleaner its also used to pump the milk. 
You can even get robotic milking machines who the cows initiates, this require non spherical cows with legs. 

No, no, I understand milking.... this is literally, a cow in a vacuum.   They push the cow down a chute and into a box that sucks any flies or other pests off the cow, and then kicks the cow out. 

So I guess the cow could be on a treadmill. 

On 6/23/2018 at 7:26 AM, SpaceMouse said:

It's probably been said before, but all a aircraft needs is enough airflow over it's wings to get it off the ground. There are a few ultralights that can essentially take off with virtually no speed into a strong enough headwind.

I've always kinda wanted to stick a massive fan on top of a building and use it to land a conventional plane 'vertically'. I'd need a plane though, and a building, and a giant fan, and money.

None of which I have. :(

This happened quite a lot on older aircraft carriers (back when planes had lower stall speeds). An aircraft carrier steaming at 25 knots into a 40 knot headwind could have a plane land pretty much vertically, level with the deck (although I've read some pretty hairy accounts of the effects of waves on this equation!)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.