Is Minmus really a dessert?

Der Anfang

Probably not. But it's also too close to the sun to sustain any stable ice, just like the Mun. (Fun fact: irl, the Moon does in fact have ice, but hidden in craters in the polar regions, if I am not mistaken. Just to be certain though, it has been said the same for Mercury, which I know is true.) Anyway, what do you all think Minmus is composed of? What exactly might those lakes be? What could possibly make minmus so... minty looking (or spicy looking like some sort of wasabe pea. Depending on how you look at it.)?

Edited by Der Anfang

...or spicy looking like some sort of wasabe pea.

HAH! It does look like a wasabi pea.

I agree it does look a LOT like ice, tho, specially the flats suspiciously at "sea level". Let's just say realism isn't SQUAD's strong point.

Unfortunately no. One of the surface sample science experiments specifically states it's not edible.

I ate Minmus cones when I was a wee Kerb and I turned out just fine. We also used to EVA on the OUTSIDE of the craft. Non of this sissy IVA nonsense.

Today's space travel is such a Nanny-state.

That's what they want you to think...

It's a conspiracy!

Probably not. But it's also too close to the sun to sustain any stable ice, just like the Mun. (Fun fact: irl, the Moon does in fact have ice, but hidden in craters in the polar regions, if I am not mistaken. Just to be certain though, it has been said the same for Mercury, which I know is true.) Anyway, what do you all think Minmus is composed of? What exactly might those lakes be? What could possibly make minmus so... minty looking (or spicy looking like some sort of wasabe pea. Depending on how you look at it.)? Let's break out the science!

I think it's a moon, because a dessert several miles in diameter would probably fudge up the orbit badly. :kiss:

How could you all forget your tin foil hats, they're listening!

latest?cb=20100317031031

Minmus is actually a giant mint chocolate chip ice cream chunk, and the kovernment is secretly feeding it to our almighty savior, the Kraken, in order to delay our inevitable conversion into baby kraken hosts!

Minmus is a Small Kerbol System Body that was captured early on by the planet Kerbin. It is composed primarily of water ice surrounding a small core of unknown extremely dense matter. When Minmus was young, and its crust was still in a liquid state and before it lost its thin carbon dioxide atmosphere, a species of microorganism thrived in its oceans. This microorganism secreted copious quantities of lipids, hexahydrothymol, chlorophyll, and resins which remain in the crust of Minmus today.

This theory explains why Minmus can exist as close as it does to Kerbol: As the ice of Minmus's crust sublimes in the vacuum of space, the resin is left behind and forms a barrier to further sublimation. This theory would also explain why the crust of Minmus tastes like mint ice cream, and why it is such a popular destination for spacefaring kerbals who are running low on snacks.

HAH! It does look like a wasabi pea.

I agree it does look a LOT like ice, tho, specially the flats suspiciously at "sea level". Let's just say realism isn't SQUAD's strong point.

My suspicion is that it was once in a weird orbit around Kerbol, and within a "habitable" zone for some type of microorganisms that living in its liquid oceans and on the land, and they managed to consume whatever was plentiful on Minmus as it also had a *very* small, very thing atmosphere. These microorganisms, when die also become food for the others so they multiply. Suddenly there was a huge solar flare that pushed Minmus further out of its orbit, which stripped its atmosphere killed the microorganisms causing them to die, and burn into some weird green material. This caused Kerbin to pickup and alter Minmus's orbit to become its own moon.

I just made that up so its going to have a lot of holes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.