What's the stupidest space-related thing you've ever heard someone say?

SlabGizor117

People who don't care about space, don't care to understand what you consider basic facts. Maybe you would like to bring up a topic you know nothing/don't care about so we can laugh at you.

"hah u don't no how the 46 defense works. u so stupd!!!11!11!"

This thread isn't about laughing at people for not knowing about space, it's about laughing at people who THINK they know about space, when they in fact they don't. It's a huge difference, and imo it's valid to laugh or look down at anybody who doesn't know what the hell they're talking about

"There's no gravity in space." = you're an idiot, please shut the hell up.

"I think there's no gravity in space." = probably reasonable, rational person.

About 2 years ago I was talking about my hobbies and interests with a friend of my mother. I mentioned I really like to read about space exploration and astronomy.

I told him about all the progress space exploration made for us humans, I gave him a couple of examples like "Well, it takes abut 7 minutes for a signal to get from Mars to Earth. So a space ship landing on Mars needs to do every thing itself. This means a landing a rover on Mars needs a very complicated and smart autopilot on board. This means we need to think a lot harder about auto pilots that gives us knowledge, tips & tricks that we can use in every day airliners. When you fly towards your holiday, the Mars rovers did a bit to get you there safer".

I mentioned a lot of these advancements, to which he replied

"Well apart from all the progress and new knowledge we got from it, What did space ever do for us???"

It's not about laughing at people who don't care about space, it's about laughing at people who don't understand the most basic facts about space. Religion has nothing to do with it. Now, please, get back on topic before the mods delete the thread.

I agree. I'm of course, not anti religious in any way, in fact I am myself, but that's not what this thread is for, guys. Just answer the question in the OP, I don't want this to turn into YouTube comments .

I agree. I'm of course, not anti religious in any way, in fact I am myself, but that's not what this thread is for, guys. Just answer the question in the OP, I don't want this to turn into YouTube comments .

Fake!!!!11111!!!

:D

Not 5 billion per aircraft, (That would be insane) but well over 5 billion total. We have a few dozen F22s (Cant give specific numbers for OPSEC reasons) stationed here and with F16s F4s and T38s we are looking at closer to 10 billion dollars worth of aircraft at this one base alone.

Also the F35, once all the planed aircrafts are built is estimated to cost upward of a trillion dollars. Though unlike the F22 the F35 is a multinational fighter with many countries receiving them.

oops, my bad. I kinda speed-read it and took billion for million :P. I forgot about F-22s too, but F-4s? That's either the Phantom or Corsair... I'm confused? Lol, I know they don't use F-4 Phantoms anymore and I definitely know they don't use F4U Corsairs xD

oops, my bad. I kinda speed-read it and took billion for million :P. I forgot about F-22s too, but F-4s? That's either the Phantom or Corsair... I'm confused? Lol, I know they don't use F-4 Phantoms anymore and I definitely know they don't use F4U Corsairs xD

The F4 is the Phantom, and we still use some for training purposes.

Many of those questions are history questions, not science ones. ;-)

(Not directed at you GregroxMun, but to the thread in general) And I will maintain my stance that laughing at ANYBODY for ANY reason is wrong, elitist, and encourages the target of your spiteful (because there is no other way to make fun of someone) jokes to just ignore you at best, and retaliate at worst.

And the excuse "I'm not laughing at the person, I'm laughing at their stupidity" isn't even tenuous. It's ephemeral.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Wouldn't that be the F-104?

Sure. Have seen some "guardians" from very close, it's impressive how small its wing are.

- - - Updated - - -

And there are videos on the web of some 104 in a "zero lenght takeoff" version, with a solid rocket benath and launched like a missle!

You can also find some videos of tests with some 104 launched and recovered using catapult, cables and hook.

I will search and post some, it's really cool (and quite kerbal) stuff!

EDIT http://www.airvectors.net/avzel_4.jpg

Edited by PlonioFludrasco

The F4 is the Phantom, and we still use some for training purposes.

Oh wow, cool!! I guess the Phantom hasn't become an antique aircraft yet... :P I don't as much about jets as I do prop planes, so I wouldn't have known :P

After reading through this thread, I now feel fortunate to have had a science teacher who knew the science. In 7th grade we got a test (not made by my teacher), and one of the questions was "If a spaceship was going from Earth to Mars, what would happen to it's speed?" I picked the answer that read "It would slow down over the duration of the trip". When I got the results back I was surprised to see that I had gotten the question wrong, and that the supposedly correct answer was "It's speed will remain the same.". I went up to my teacher and asked her why that was the right answer, and she replied "Don't worry, I didn't count that one against you in the grade book. The people making these tests don't expect people to know about stuff like that." I was relieved that is wasn't counted against me, but at the same time disappointed that they would misinform people instead of either saving the topic for later or explaining why it would slow down.

After reading through this thread, I now feel fortunate to have had a science teacher who knew the science. In 7th grade we got a test (not made by my teacher), and one of the questions was "If a spaceship was going from Earth to Mars, what would happen to it's speed?" I picked the answer that read "It would slow down over the duration of the trip". When I got the results back I was surprised to see that I had gotten the question wrong, and that the supposedly correct answer was "It's speed will remain the same.". I went up to my teacher and asked her why that was the right answer, and she replied "Don't worry, I didn't count that one against you in the grade book. The people making these tests don't expect people to know about stuff like that." I was relieved that is wasn't counted against me, but at the same time disappointed that they would misinform people instead of either saving the topic for later or explaining why it would slow down.

Things like this (so called "lies to children") make me really sad. Why do we assume that kids aren't smart enough to understand this kind of stuff? Why is it decided that instead of saving the topic for later, it's better to give them misinformation?

I was watching one of the models in the background. We were obviously thinking the same thing.

Oh yeah, I never noticed that, I couldn't see them because my palm was blocking my screen.

My best friend asked me "How do rockets burn in space if there's no oxygen?" I explained LOx and different fuels and hypergolic propulsion methods to him, and he seemed to understand. It's always nice when someone listens to you, and is willing to admit they were wrong.

SmallFatFetus

Things like this (so called "lies to children") make me really sad. Why do we assume that kids aren't smart enough to understand this kind of stuff? Why is it decided that instead of saving the topic for later, it's better to give them misinformation?

It's worse when they say that the right answer is the wrong one... Like in Loligoat's post.