Has anyone done a real-time mission in KSP before?

DarthZazen

I got bored (never a good thing) and decided to do a real-time mission to the Mun and back. No saving, no reloading and no time or phys warp.

And aside from Deadly Reentry, I'm not using any mods: the only modded part on this vessel is a heat shield.

Has anyone done something like this before? And if so, how did it go?

P.S. I have an intercept in about 11 hours... this is gonna be a long wait...

To be honest, this is probably one of the worst ideas I've ever had. That's saying something XD

Turns out my intercept is in 9 hours-ish, the periapsis is in 11 hours. This means that I'm gonna hit the intercept just as my Ethics lecture starts :/

I haven't done real time missions, but in my career save I use most 10+ minute openings between different missions for launches and testings so it mostly goes without much time warping. I do time warp when approaching a mission objective so I don't have to wait that down time.

This does lead to some trouble when having overlapping maneuver plans, I had to change between ships with 30 second margins a couple of times and it feels good when you manage all without having to do any quickloads.

BTW, beware of crashes!

*waits two years during Jool Transfer*

"Okay, Time for aerobrake.."

"Done! Now, time to see what has been happening on the internet..."

KSP forums:

KSP 2.8.3 release!!!

*GASP*

"Looks out window"

Sees flying cars, AI drones, Amazon 10-minute rocket delivery, and google glass.

My point is, bad idea if it is longer than a simple suborbital flight.

KSP forums:

KSP 2.8.3 release!!!

*GASP*

"Looks out window"

Sees flying cars, AI drones, Amazon 10-minute rocket delivery, and google glass.

^ This.

I will not criticize you for enjoying it, because hey, we're all different, but for me, waiting around and intentionally not playing KSP isn't my personal idea of a good time. Then again, neither is camping outside a best buy for 50 hours to save $200 on a Black Friday door buster (because that's the equivalent of $4 an hour to sit around bored and miserable), but plenty of people do that. Do that in KSP and you can earn $0 an hour to be bored.

KSP forums:

KSP 2.8.3 release!!!

*GASP*

"Looks out window"

Maybe for very long missions you could compromise and limit your timewarp so that to get to Jool takes a whole day.

KSP forums:

KSP 2.8.3 release!!!

*GASP*

"Looks out window"

You sir, earn some rep.

Yeah I totally agree with your statement though.

I've been wanting to extend Kerbal Alarm Clock for optional push notifications to a mobile. The simplest way that works for me would be an HTTP request, but I'm not sure how well that could be used with services like IFTTT.

The end result would be being able to fly real-time or other long missions without having to be tied to your PC.

I've done this. Once. Never again.

I know how you feel. Infact, I started to regret this decision almost immediately after starting :(

Update: Tried to get some sleep, woken up by flatmates (it's 2.26am here O.o) and everything's fine... not much else to say...

Most of my plane flights are in real time, since many of my planes misbehave if I try physics warp. They tend to be 2 hours max though. And my first couple of orbits were in real time. Other than that though I don't see the point. Space travel is a lot of waiting, and the view doesn't even change quickly.

Most of my plane flights are in real time, since many of my planes misbehave if I try physics warp. They tend to be 2 hours max though. And my first couple of orbits were in real time. Other than that though I don't see the point. Space travel is a lot of waiting, and the view doesn't even change quickly.

I know what you mean, that's why I decided to start late at night, so all the travelling would happen while I was asleep. Doesn't really work when you can't sleep.

I actually considered recording or livestreaming the mission, just so I have video proof of doing it. I figured no one really wants to watch a real-time munar mission though.

I got bored (never a good thing) and decided to do a real-time mission to the Mun and back. No saving, no reloading and no time or phys warp.

So, you got bored, and decided the best solution would be to sit in front of a screen for 11 hours while nothing happens.

It might not be any of my business, but that doesn't sound like a great strategy...

That said, I think some of the old fogies on here have probably done a real-time mission by necessity if they played in the versions before timewarp was implemented (at this time, orbital information was displayed on a series of stone or clay tablets).

Personally, I'm the kind of guy who uses physwarp during landing burns if I can get away with it.

Personally, I'm the kind of guy who uses physwarp during landing burns if I can get away with it.
I warp for docking maneuvers further than 100m. IMO the game needs higher levels of warp. The trek to Jool is painfully slow at maximum warp.

I know there was a user who did a real time Silent Hunter III mission. Type VII Uboat, WWII. 40 day mission give or take. I remember reading he was stuck at home for some reason for an extended period of time, so he let the machine run attended, but he did turn up the speakers so he could hear the alarms going off from across the house.

So yeah, I commend this effort.

I've done that back in 0.23.5. At the time I didn't even know what mods where, so pure stock.

I lifted-off, got into an orbit, set up moon transfer without waiting for optimal transfer (hey I was a newb, sorta).

It had 6h50 to go. Left it running and went to see "The Hobbit" with a RL friend. Back from movie+supper, I had bout 2h left on that trip. So I did the mid-course correction and let the game run while I was doing other things... I believe I was coaching my friend how to build his first Mun lander.

Got distracted real good and when I came back, I was at something like 50k from the Mun's surface and going down fast. Managed to land with my kerbal surviving, but his ship was 3/4 destroyed (ueah my landings sucked back then as well). So He got out, planted a flag "HEEEELLLPPPP !" and went back into his pod.

I rescued him about a month later with my super efficient Apollo-type Mun orbiter/lander.

Good thing I didn't have SNACKS! or Life support installed as the poor guy spent 25 in-game years stranded on the Mun.

6 hours might be okay, but you really can't do a mission outside of Kerbin SoI. Even Minmus would be stretching it (I'd install Remote tech just to plan ahead some maneuvers if at work/sleeping. If sleeping I'd raise the volume so it would have a chance to wake me up , haha.

Umm might do the Minmus thing with 1.0, again with my Apollo lander (except my orbital/transfer stage's engine is a nuke).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.