Has anyone done a real-time mission in KSP before?

DarthZazen

I did a real-time mun mission once. As soon as I crossed the boundary into the mun's SOI, the game broke horribly and sent me onto a solar escape trajectory.

I have never crossed an SOI boundary at 1x timewarp since then.

I used to do real time missions in LockOn (A combat flight simulator). They were oddly satisfying and even relaxing, even in the frenzied dogfights I'd get into after running six hour CAP missions and only finding enemies at the tail end of it.

God, I need to reinstall that game. My HOTAS is getting dusty :confused:

But anyway, I've been tempted to do it in Kerbal, though thusfar I've only managed it for LEO missions. Course then again it's been a long time since I've had the time to the 10 hour plus missions in LockOn, so there's that too.

Yeah, back in 0.10, left the PC open overnight just to see how far I'll get.

Also did one during my circumnavigation attempt, totaling 1 and a half hours of manually piloting the plane w/o using the timewarp.

Edited by Flixxbeatz

Ok, awake now.

I just want to clarify that most of this mission (moving through space) is actually happening unattended, I'm only around for parts of it after lectures and stuff. As for the me being bored part, this is actually a good distraction. Somehow.

Anyway, I'm just past Apoapsis now, and needed to corrected my course so I don't smash into the Mun sometime during Ethics. Might still smash into the Mun on landing, though.

I... I don't know what happened...

Just over an hour ago, I used all the fuel I had left (rocket and monoprop) to increase my velocity enough so I could do reentry before my next lecture, due to start in 10 minutes. I was at an altitude of 327,937m going at 3011.1m/s when...

...I just exploded...

2 days, 2 hours, 6 minutes and 30 seconds ingame. Just over 14 hours in total I believe.

Farewell, Theorie and Sherny Kerman, your sacrifice will not be in vain: I can add random explosion to my No-Liability Policy.

hehe - as much as it´s hated by some, i hope the game will never get rid off this unintended feature completely. I lost a Duna probe midway due to a bug. I just reasoned some mini-asteroid something must have smashed it. Things happen.

Why is it that I always forget about those bodily functions.

You have played too much stock KSP and forgot that some bad realism fanatic has installed TAC life support in real life.

Be careful. It can be dangerous if you decide to make a Duna trip without supplies.

At least I remembered to plant a flag on the Mun, explaining the mission. It was carefully worded, so it's now a memorial to them. Until I take it down, to get rid of the tabs in the Tracking Centre. Or start a new game.

Still, I was really excited to see if my vessel would have survived the reentry I'd set up :(

I'm really tempted to try this. But I might cheat a little bit and use quicksaves (in case of explosions) and KAC to stop warp at preset times in case I know I won't be near my computer. Using kOS in addition would be semi-realistic depending on what I use it for, but also maybe a bit too OP.

Probably fair for launching at least.

I realise some people may be skeptical regarding this, if I actually did this in real time or not. This is the best proof I can offer: A screenshot of the steam overlay, showing the game time of my current session. I would like to say that I wasn't watching the screen for the whole duration of the mission, most of it I was either out studying or asleep. I only contributed when necessary (correction burns, stuff like that). Also, I left this running for the duration of the lecture just after the explosion, so the actual mission was 90 minutes less than what's shown.

dgNSmSW.png

- - - Updated - - -

I'm really tempted to try this. But I might cheat a little bit and use quicksaves (in case of explosions) and KAC to stop warp at preset times in case I know I won't be near my computer. Using kOS in addition would be semi-realistic depending on what I use it for, but also maybe a bit too OP.

Probably fair for launching at least.

I messed up my launch, the booster stage collided with a fuel tank after detaching. Still almost completed without it.

I agree with using KAC though, I used all of what was left of my fuel (both rocket and mono) to try and get to Kerbin before I had to go to my lecture. Assuming the kraken didn't get to me, Deadly Reentry would have destroyed my ship or parachutes

I'm not entirely sure how this was designed to reduce your boredom :)

It kept me distracted for a bit, now that it's over I have to find something else.

Has anyone tried getting a Kerbal into space using a trebuchet made with KAS??

I'm surprised nobody brought up that realtime mission with several people:

http://imgur.com/a/sW3Tz

(Not something I was involved in, but I think it came up on Slashdot or somesuch)

It was brought up on page 2 ;)

You might be interested in this report from a few users who did a collaborative simulation of a Mun mission entirely in real time a while back. (I wasn't one of them; I'm just sharing the album. They used to have a forum thread here as well, but I haven't been able to dig it up.)

That's really cool though. The KSP to Mars mission looked like it was going to be similar (but not everyone in the same room), but I'm not sure if it'll (pardon my pun) ever get off the ground.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.