[1.8.x] Impact! - impact science and contracts -v1.8.0

tomf

With thanks to Kerbas_ad_astra I have pulled his changes into the master and created a new release - see the first post for a link.

Thanks for that, I have been taking a little break from KSP and hadn't even downloaded 1.0.5

• 1 month later...

@tomf Is there a minimum energy for the Bangometer report to generate? I just 'recycled' a reasonably useful SCANsat-turned-commsat into science by crashing it into the Mun. Switched back to the Bangometer craft, and nothing there :( The Bangometer isn't physically in contact with the ground (it fell over during landing, but survived), but the craft is. I'm sure I read somewhere that the sensor itself didn't need to be directly on the surface?

Edit: It was going about 900m/s (I think, falling from a 250km orbit), and weighed about 2 tonnes, so should have been in the region of 810MJ energy

Edit 2: Looks like it was an issue with the CKAN download, giving the 1.2.0 file rather than the updated 1.3.0 one - seems to work now!

Many thanks in advance

Edited by MAV3RICK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow, I had completely forgotten how this release procedure thing went. I have updated the links and title in the first post now. The curse file should be ready as soon as it has been approved.

• 2 months later...

New version. I just accepted a contract to collide with an asteroid only to discover that it was one of the ones orbiting Dres. I though to myself that it would be nice to have been told that up front, so now it does.

do you still have to be a good distance away from the bangometer? I crashed a probe going full blast into the Mun, I got the screen notification I had seismic and flashy data (my flashometer was above in orbit too) but switching to the bangometer lander there was no right clickable menu at all. I switched to the flasho in orbit and was able to get a menu and I retrieved its data.

is it still too sensitive when the collision is too close?

I haven't tested that recently. It's conceivable that strange things happen if the collision is within physics range of the bangomenter. I'll give that a test, but in the mean time I'm going to role play it as the bangometer being too overwhelmed with the local vibrations to be able to detect the ones moving though the core and do useful science.

• 1 month later...

To get seismic science from Minmus

1. Land a probe with a seismometer and antenna anywhere on Minmus
  2. Crash another impactor probe anywhere into minmus as hard as you can, e.g. a couple of tonnes traveling at >1000 m/s - you have to be in control of the impactor as it explodes
  3. Swich back to the seismometer, right click it and select transmit data

For crash spectum data put a spectometer in orbit around the body and ensure that is it above the horizon when you crash the impactor.

Edited by tomf

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 30/10/2016 at 3:53 PM, Apollo13 said:

I crashed a vessel directly below the Flashometer; switched to Flashometer.  No experiment recorded.  Also, crashed a vessel within 50 meters of Bangometer; no experiment recorded.

Can you give me your logs please? The relevant lines for impact all start with "[IM:"

21 hours ago, tomf said:

Can you give me your logs please? The relevant lines for impact all start with "[IM:"

Link to log files. Also contains a .CRAFT file for the vessel I used.  The vessel contains a top stage which is released and crashed.  The Flashometer was directly over head.  The mission was to crash the vessel above 0 degrees on the Mun.  I crashed it just below the north pole.  I right-clicked the Flashometer.  No joy.  The Flashometer was at 10 Km height.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n18b1hl93665vii/Flashometer_Test.zip?dl=0

In this image, the circled part is released and crashes.  Other than MechJeb, the vessel is all stock.  For the image, I removed the fairing.

oTHoOYF.png

Edited by Apollo13

• 2 weeks later...

And, the answer is...ProbesPlus! was screwing things up for this and all other science, both stock and mods.  Upon correcting that situation, Impact works as advertised.

That said, I still believe you should add a context menu/dialog if the Flashometer is right-clicked and there is no science to be had.

I can't trigger impact science any more. Explosions seem to be missing from my game now. Now matter how big or how fast I crash something, all I get is a little 'poof' & small smoke / dust cloud. This does not register as an impact for either the Flashometer or the Bangometer (love those names BTW). Worked great a few days ago.

Is there a parameter in the game someplace that determines if the mass of an object makes a 'poof' or a 'boom' when it hits?

On 19/11/2016 at 2:08 AM, Fixitman said:

I can't trigger impact science any more. Explosions seem to be missing from my game now. Now matter how big or how fast I crash something, all I get is a little 'poof' & small smoke / dust cloud. This does not register as an impact for either the Flashometer or the Bangometer (love those names BTW). Worked great a few days ago.

Is there a parameter in the game someplace that determines if the mass of an object makes a 'poof' or a 'boom' when it hits?

Well in my code I ignore any impact of less than 50m/s but there will be something do matter what the mass faster than that. If you aren't getting any explosions either then it sounds like a problem with the core game rather than this mod though

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.