[1.8.x] Impact! - impact science and contracts -v1.8.0

tomf

25 minutes ago, MisterFister said:

How is this mod different from the impactor experiments in KSPIE / DMagic / etc.?

Also, your thread here indicates that it's been updated for KSP v1.2.  I'm running v1.2.2, is that an important difference?

Impact is compatible with all KSP 1.2 versions

Impact is based on a few real world experiments, The seismometer is based on the Apollo Passive Seismic Experiment which studies the internal structure of the moon by listening to the effects of moonquakes and meteorite impacts. As there are no natural impacts in KSP, and because I like explosions the kerbals have to create their own impacts by crashing as hard as possible into the body. Gameplay wise you have to land the seismometer anywhere on the target body and then crash a probe into the body at a couple of km/s

The Spectometer is based on a few experiments like the NASA Deep impact and India's Moon Impact Probe which have crashed impactors into things in order to analyse the spectra of the ejected debris. Gameplay wise you need to set up an impact and time it so that a probe carrying a spectrometer is in orbit and above the horizon at the time of impact.

The DMagic seismometer experiments are more like local active seismology - they will tell you about what lies in the top few KM below the surface in detail but won't have anything to say about the interior. Gameplay wise it involves setting up a couple of pods a few km away and then triggering the hammer experiment.

Ok, but I'm asking a different question, and I apologize for not being clearer.  I see other mods that carry impactor science.  See KSP Interstellar Extended managed by @FreeThinker, DMagic Orbital Science hosted by @DMagic, and Surface Experiment Pack hosted by @CobaltWolf.  I'd be surprised if there weren't others, those are just the ones I have bookmarked in my browser for now.

I'm asking how your impactor science, here, differs from the ones in those other mods.  Do you think they could all co-exist in the same career-mode playthrough?  What about Contract Configurator contract-pack add-ons?

4 minutes ago, MisterFister said:

Ok, but I'm asking a different question, and I apologize for not being clearer.  I see other mods that carry impactor science.  See KSP Interstellar Extended managed by @FreeThinker, DMagic Orbital Science hosted by @DMagic, and Surface Experiment Pack hosted by @CobaltWolf.  I'd be surprised if there weren't others, those are just the ones I have bookmarked in my browser for now.

I'm asking how your impactor science, here, differs from the ones in those other mods.  Do you think they could all co-exist in the same career-mode playthrough?  What about Contract Configurator contract-pack add-ons?

Basically this mod is about pointing your rocket straight at the ground, firing up the engines and seeing how big a bang you can make.

In terms of comparability they should be fine, I use Dmagic and SEP myself. Impact has it's own contracts so shouldn't interact with Contract configurator, although I think that pack that gives you contracts to get all the science will ask you to get impact science too.

Gameplay wise the difference is that for my mod you need to set up the instrument either on the surface or an appropriate orbit and then take a second craft and Crash it. For dmagic you need to set up the seismic pods and then run the experimet by clicking it, KSPIE looks like it only requires clicking to run like most of the stock ones, and SEP is about the set up with an engineer and scientist and then alowing time to pass.

Of course the more science mods you have in your game the easier it is to fill out the tree without leaving the Kerbin system, which can be positive or negative depending on how you feel about landing a materials bay into every mun biome.

Role-play wise the KSPIE and Dmagic are different experiments although SEP does overlap.

4 hours ago, MisterFister said:

Interesting survey but KSPI impactor  differs from the other science experiments in the sense you simply crash something into the surface while observing it, the other science experiment require a science part to touch the surface.

Edited by FreeThinker

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't used Impact in awhile, nice to see the mod working in KSP 1.2.2. I also made a MM patch to add the impact sensor to the stock accelerometer:

@PART[sensorAccelerometer]:NEEDS[kerbal-impact]
{

MODULE

{

name = Seismometer

}
}

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I have a problem, that bangometr doesn't work. It records impact (message like "Impact recorded" appears), but I can't click on it or take science out. If I recover it, it doesn't produce anything either. Is it known problem? If no, how can I provide more specific information? I run KSP 1.2.2 with a bunch of mods, latest version of Impact from CKAN.

Thanks for any help!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2017 at 5:56 AM, Erebus1 said:

Are the Bangometer's supposed to be re-usable? Or do they need to be reset by a Scientist?

The bangometer is re-usable, but it will only record a new result if it provides more science (i.e. was a higher energy) than any previously recorded (and returned to kerbin) impact for this body.

I haven't tried transporting a single bangometer between bodies but it will probably overwrite results.

On 3/11/2017 at 0:09 PM, Snoman314 said:

After recording an impact with the flashometer attached to a probe almost directly overhead, how do you get the science from the flashometer? I right click and there doesn't seem to be any new options.

When you impact there should be on screen messages saying the science results it has recorded. Did these mention the flashometer/spectrometer? If not then the answer is going to be somewhere in logs in the lines starting [IM

There were definitely impacts recorded, as the bangometers were generating science from the impacts. I can't remember what it actually said. I just thought it was weird that the flashometer was directly overhead, and the bangometer was recording an impact, but not the flashometer that was right there.

I'll try it again this weekend maybe, and look in the logs like you suggest.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I have found the bug that prevented impacts that are within physics range if a sensor from recording their science results properly.

New release is on github with curse to follow

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, tomf.

I'm getting this exception playing Galileo planet pack with Impact! mod.

[IM:4/11/2017 6:44:32 PM]: Trying to generate an impact contract

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

[IM:4/11/2017 6:44:32 PM]: Finding asteroids

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

[IM:4/11/2017 6:44:32 PM]: asteroid name = Ast. KCM-955 asteroid discovery=Presence

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at kerbal_impact.AsteroidSpectrumContract.orbitFactor (.CelestialBody celestialBody) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at kerbal_impact.AsteroidSpectrumContract.getAsteroidStars (.Vessel asteroid) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at kerbal_impact.AsteroidSpectrumContract.pickContracts (IEnumerable`1 bodies) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at kerbal_impact.ImpactContract.actuallyGenerate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at kerbal_impact.AsteroidSpectrumContract.Generate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Contracts.Contract.Generate (System.Type contractType, ContractPrestige difficulty, Int32 seed, State state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContract (Int32 seed, ContractPrestige difficulty, System.Type contractType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContract (System.Int32& seed, ContractPrestige difficulty) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContracts (System.Int32& seed, ContractPrestige difficulty, Int32 count) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Contracts.ContractSystem.RefreshContracts () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Contracts.ContractSystem+<UpdateDaemon>c__Iterator9B.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

It seems it doesn't affect gameplay but i thought you want to take a look at it anyway.

Edited by Kev

2 hours ago, Kev said:

Hi, tomf.

I'm getting this exception playing Galileo planet pack with Impact! mod.

It seems it doesn't affect gameplay but i thought you want to take a look at it anyway.

Is the central body of your system not called "Sun"? That would cause the error you see.

I should probably change my code so it no longer assumes that.

• 3 weeks later...

I just crashed an object into mun.  The spectrometer in orbit registered the impact but the bangometer on the surface did not.  The object hit at 1700m/s+.  Can they both occur at the same time or does that cause issues?

Here's an output log:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9bTL0WKpN4ITjV4aEdDYUxJZWc

Let me know if I can do anything else.

Made another impact test.  This one landed just outside the crater as my trajectory was flatter, in a different biome.  This one registered on both the spectrometer and seismometer.  I didn't get a read on the speed, sadly, but the science points were only 35 (on hard difficulty) and the bars seemed to indicate that this was quite low.  What is the minimum impact speed to register, and max for science?

Third test, hit in the crater within 800m of bangometer.  This is roughly as close as the first, glitched, test.  1700ish m/s.  Registered on both, though no science generated as the impact speed was more or less the same and the spectrometer already had an impact in a midlands crater.

All seems well and good on these two tests, not sure what happened on the first.

Also just to note, I think the science generated by these tests is too high, compared to other science equipment, but I'd be a liar if I said it wasn't a ton of fun.

Edited by overkill13

8 hours ago, overkill13 said:

What is the minimum impact speed to register, and max for science?

Only impacts with velocity > 50m/s register. Getting the maximum science depends on kinetic energy and the bodies escape velocity rather than velocity directly. Technically to get 100% you need v=Vesc * sqrt(15000/m) where m is the mass of the impactor in Kg. For a 1 tonne impactor on the mun that comes out as 3126 m/s.

Slightly strange, I didn't see any logging at all from my mod in your log file after the first impact but I'm glad subsequent tests seemed to work.

8 hours ago, overkill13 said:

Also just to note, I think the science generated by these tests is too high, compared to other science equipment, but I'd be a liar if I said it wasn't a ton of fun.

The impact from the spectometer is quite high, but unlike almost every other experiment it can only be done once per body. Because it is supposedly studying the core of the body it ignores biomes and can only be run on the surface. Given that it requires at least 2 launches, generating an energetic enough impact can be tough and is hard to combine with another mission I think it is about right. If you want to change it, it should be easy to edit the ScienceDefs.cfg to change the science amount.

• 1 month later...

I added a small low priority issue on github to request a rename of the Seismometer texture file (texture or.png) to remove the space in the file name. It still works, but it's causing an ERR in the log file when loaded.

It will also require updating the references in the module and the cfg file.

• 3 months later...

Impact is updated to support internationalization. the only language available right now is English but if anyone provides translations I will include them in future releases.

It also includes code that should fix an error message from the start up logs and a situation in which subsequent smaller impacts could overwrite previous ones.

CKAN is currently confused by the format of this mod's download.
http://status.ksp-ckan.org/

NetKAN Last Checked Last Inflated Last Indexed Last Error
Impact
4 hours ago 4 hours ago 6 months ago Could not find Impact entry in zipfile to install

The Impact folder is no longer present in the zip; instead, the files are directly in the root folder of the archive, which could be inconvenient for manual installation as well.

v1.6.2:

Spoiler

Length      Date    Time    Name
---------  ---------- -----   ----
      919  2017-05-29 17:02   biomedifficulty.cfg
    43520  2017-05-29 19:05   kerbal-impact.dll
     1102  2017-05-29 17:02   LICENSE
    37376  2017-05-29 17:02   MiniAVC.dll
       74  2017-05-29 17:02   README.md
     1183  2017-09-21 22:48   Parts/Seismometer/seismometer.cfg
    56918  2017-05-29 17:02   Parts/Seismometer/seismometer.mu
   924670  2017-05-29 17:02   Parts/Seismometer/texture or.png
   924670  2015-03-23 22:20   Parts/Seismometer/texture-or.png
    20480  2016-07-20 12:50   Parts/Seismometer/Thumbs.db
   389183  2017-05-29 17:02   Parts/Spectrometer/Shader 3.png
      911  2017-09-22 07:25   Parts/Spectrometer/spectrometer.cfg
   486731  2017-05-29 17:02   Parts/Spectrometer/Spectrometer.mu
    14336  2017-09-22 18:05   Parts/Spectrometer/Thumbs.db
     8404  2017-09-22 19:21   english.cfg
     2561  2017-09-22 19:21   Resources/ScienceDefs.cfg
      687  2017-09-23 07:52   Impact.version

v1.6.0 (last indexed version):

Spoiler

Length      Date    Time    Name
---------  ---------- -----   ----
      919  2017-05-29 17:02   Impact/biomedifficulty.cfg
      687  2017-05-29 19:12   Impact/Impact.version
    40960  2017-05-29 19:06   Impact/kerbal-impact.dll
     1102  2017-05-29 17:02   Impact/LICENSE
    37376  2017-05-29 17:02   Impact/MiniAVC.dll
     1313  2017-05-29 17:02   Impact/Parts/Seismometer/seismometer.cfg
    56918  2017-05-29 17:02   Impact/Parts/Seismometer/seismometer.mu
   924670  2017-05-29 17:02   Impact/Parts/Seismometer/texture or.png
   389183  2017-05-29 17:02   Impact/Parts/Spectrometer/Shader 3.png
     1014  2017-05-29 17:02   Impact/Parts/Spectrometer/spectrometer.cfg
   486731  2017-05-29 17:02   Impact/Parts/Spectrometer/Spectrometer.mu
       74  2017-05-29 17:02   Impact/README.md
     5177  2017-05-29 17:02   Impact/Resources/ScienceDefs.cfg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.