[1.3] [Kopernicus] New Horizons v2.0.1 [2JUN17] - It's Back!

KillAshley

Yes, the M700.

Same problem you post here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/120411-M700-Scanner-weird-physics

At high speed the scanner dissapears, after that physics go crazy.

Try removing, (after backup), the "ResourceFiles" folder inside new horizons mod and see if the problem persists.

I'll have a good test of this when i can...

There shouldn't be anything in the resources folder that causes any issues, but maybe i messed something up. I'll test it when i have some time.

I admit... I'm using your mod as an example for making my own Kopernicus mod. :P

:blush:

psst if you want real atmosphere setting wait until my next update......

OK so from the long running idea from _Augustus_ to get a Red Giant as the center star for the New Horizons system, I have decided to develop this idea further and now come at you guys with the power of choice! I thought instead of deciding myself what could be used, I'd leave it to the players to decide as i like all 3 of my choices.

So here are the choices I have made for the New Horizons system:

Option 1: Red giant

Example pic 1

Bonus Pic of stock game with giant

Option 2: Blue Main Sequence Star

Example pic 1

Option 3: White Dwarf

Example pic 1

Option 4: Leave it stock

Option 5: Other

Just let me know in the comments!

If you guys could let me know in the comments, I'll include the preliminary star in the next update.

The next update will be including atmospheres that work PROPERLY finally! I have been testing and testing and working my ass off to get it all perfect and they feel great now!

Thanks

-KillAshley

OK so from the long running idea from _Augustus_ to get a Red Giant as the center star for the New Horizons system, I have decided to develop this idea further and now come at you guys with the power of choice! I thought instead of deciding myself what could be used, I'd leave it to the players to decide as i like all 3 of my choices.

So here are the choices I have made for the New Horizons system:

Option 1: Red giant

Example pic 1

Bonus Pic of stock game with giant

Option 2: Blue Main Sequence Star

Example pic 1

Option 3: White Dwarf

Example pic 1

Option 4: Leave it stock

Option 5: Other

Just let me know in the comments!

If you guys could let me know in the comments, I'll include the preliminary star in the next update.

The next update will be including atmospheres that work PROPERLY finally! I have been testing and testing and working my ass off to get it all perfect and they feel great now!

Thanks

-KillAshley

Option 1, of course! It looks EPIC from Ernus!

I vote for all.

you already created them.

make it configurable, and leave it to the players what they want to play with.

EDIT: do they have different masses? if so, reaching neighbor-planets would be more or less difficult (dV-wise) depending on the the mass of the central star. could be challenging.

Edited by Hotblack Desiato

yeah i have them already created, and can easily supply alternate downloads for each, however if i get a focus for which one more people prefer i can put more time into it and make the system more realistic. They all have different masses, different gravity and different luminosity so configuring each takes a little time however the groundwork was done while i was experimenting with ideas.

yeah i have them already created, and can easily supply alternate downloads for each, however if i get a focus for which one more people prefer i can put more time into it and make the system more realistic. They all have different masses, different gravity and different luminosity so configuring each takes a little time however the groundwork was done while i was experimenting with ideas.

interesting. assuming that kerbin needs to be in the habitable area of a star, this could lead to interesting situations for players. together with the 1.0 calculation for solar panels, a start in a white dwarf system could force the player to play with nuclear power (especially if OPM is added to the bunch). on the other hand, a red giant produces large amounts of light, and heat. this could cause other problems for brave kerbonauts.

what I'm thinking as my main idea is using the main star from the poll as the 'default' system, and then making easily installable configs to drop into the gamedata folder for people that prefer the other stars. This way I can personally focus on making my own system better, and allowing players to customize it for themselves if they wish whether they want the red/blue/white or even stock stars.

If you went for a smaller, orange/red star, you'd have the option of contracting the inner system without making it all insanely hot - quicker travel times to everything :)

Would the blue (large) star lead to higher orbital velocities and thus make it harder to get planetary captured?

And as an off the waller... could there be a small red/brown dwarf as a binary companion to the main star (basically just a shiny gas giant)? It would let you have a terrestrial warm planet a long way out from Kerbin :)

I'm not too sure how the idea's going to pan out, so it will take some testing to get right. I just like the variations in challenges between the stars, for example judging by IRL star figures the new ones would look like this;

blue star - has alot higher luminosity, extreme heat, radius dwarfs normal sun

red giant - even higher luminosity than blue star, alot lower heat, radius even larger than blue star

white dwarf - luminosity really low, temp higher than stock sun, very small radius

I won't know 100% how things turn out, and if it doesn't work out the worst that can happen is i scrap the idea, but this will add a new level to the pack that I want to include in my vision for the completed pack

What sun should be included in New Horizons?

I vote for a Blue Hypergiant! the larger habitable zone means more space for habitable planets like Titanus.

Edited by Dunrana

well...it may not be a hypergiant, but yeah looks like the votes are swaying that way really. I'm still doing some experimenting, as the lighting effects from the replacement star isn't behaving itself atm, but I'll keep at it.

My goal is to go as close to realism without spoiling the game. For example the luminosity for the blue star would be insanely high, so I'd have to cut that right down and the radius will need to be kept to a controllable state...however the results for all the stars are pretty cool so it'll be a very interesting addition.

For those confused about whats going to happen when i take the winner, let me explain. The winning star will be developed and distributed as my main/default star for the New Horizons mod. HOWEVER the other stars will still be available (as well as stock) as simple MM patches to download in the OP and install as you guys feel like. Orbits for all bodies will be slightly different as heat/luminosity/radius have to be taken into account for the new stars, but they will all be there for any who want to experience the other stars. I just want one star as the 'official' star and was too indecisive to make the call.

So I figured I'd make sure my atmospheres were working correctly and pushed through a sneaky update. No new sun yet, I want to do it perfectly....I just wanted to fix up the errors in my previous atmosphere settings. So with that said:

New Horizons v1.4.2 is now live on CurseForge

-New pressure curve allows for stable decent through atmospheres.

-Converted textures to .dds format to reduce memory impact

-Minor terrain tweaks on various planets

-Minor texture tweaks on various planets

This update has the main steps towards the switch to .dds format. It drops a huge amount of memory, but at the cost of some visual fidelity (most noticable on arin/nolas & atell). After a lot of thought i decided that the memory saved by the swicth was worth the quality loss, as this mod does like to chew RAM for breakfast. If anyone spots any problems with the improved settings, please let me know!

Id love to have the config files for the suns so I could pick, I have a feeling the various differing colours may give me a headache, literally.

Also out of interest do the new planets have mineral sources? because I got a ship into orbit of some of the planets/moons and the survey scanner gave no information.

ok so I've finally had the time to test the m700 survey scanner, and it is indeed buggy. Seems my resource configs are to blame so I'll fix them ASAP. For the time being, please delete the ResourceConfigs folder inside of the New_Horizons folder

Edited by KillAshley

How very odd (about the scanner)... but thanks for confirming. I'll mark my support thread as answered.

And thanks for the new release! I'm guessing the pressure curves don't affect Kerbin itself? I'd hate to think I was making SSTOs on a planet that isn't a fair representation of stock Kerbin ^^;

Will see what it does to my memory use tonight. In OpenGL mode with ATM I'm down at 1.8gb on the menu - loads of room for more planets or parts packs alongside New Horizons :D (Looking at you Near Future and Interstellar...)

Ooo, yeah, small request; would it be possible to get some clarity on which planets have oxygenated atmospheres? Maybe as part of their descriptions in-game? I figure kerbals should have figured out how to do spectrographic analyses by this point (and I don't know of an experiment package, short of dropping a jet into it and seeing if it lights up).

P.S. Blue hypergiant with an outer planet that is a tiny red dwarf ;) Dunno if you can implement the lighting, but it would be cool even if not ^^

Edited by eddiew

No the update fixes atmospheres on the custom worlds and makes it so that you don't explode instantly at high speeds, you can finally aerobrake on the planets now.

I'll try and get a fix for the resources uploaded soon as I can, turns out it was erroring when there are multiple biomes on the same world for the same resource.

I'll also tweak the descriptions for you, the oxygen worlds are Sonnah, Serran and Titanus.

you might be able to exploit planetshine to make a red dwarf glow.

That's what I'm thinking, however I'm trying to alter thing as much as I can using just kopernicus. I'll integrate other mods once I hit the limit.

Just got home from a vacation and loaded your latest version. It really looks great! I can't wait to put a ship onto Leouch. Great job creating that planet, it looks fantastic!

thanks bro, but of a bug atm with resource scanners, there'll be an update to fix this major error asap