[1.3] [Kopernicus] New Horizons v2.0.1 [2JUN17] - It's Back!

KillAshley

Unfortunately, I ended up reverting to 1.4.21. Besides the odd camera glitch, I started noticing that heavier craft would suddenly be affected by Ghost Kraken-esque forces when going into warp, then violently rip themselves apart once the warp stopped. It was completely random when and if this would happen, but after reverting... the problem hasn't shown up again.

Couldn't build a station when it kept ripping itself apart every 2-3 hours. :(

Was able to dig out an older screenshot of this in action at least on a different craft, slightly amusing the first time, not the fourth time though. :P

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/538524845006802819/7E5831057BF8C21E77FCE1752A0E37F51EF001EF/

Edit: After more testing, 1.5 isn't the cause. Still can't figure out what's causing this.

Double Edit: Unfortunately, after removing New Horizons and working with the same save (relaunching the Ghost Krakening vessels)... it's stopped. Will have to stop using this mod, sorry! Really love it though.

Edited by IggyHitokage

Hi, to the creator of this mod:

Hey just a huge thanks for putting this together and releasing it. Its like a free expansion pack for Kerbal, and I'm absolutely loving it.

Couple things. Please lessen the time warp constraints on Aptur. It drives me nuts. You can't go above 1x below 30k meters, and the 5x, 10x, etc contraints are awful too. Doing anything on the moon is so time consuming.

Also, things I put in orbit around Sonnah that are relatively close (within the rings) are getting hot. Whats generating the heat??

Also, can anyone tell me if KSPRC is working with this mod and 1.02 Kerbal? I'd like to get that going again.

Thanks!

Greg

Edited by Greg310

Hi, to the creator of this mod:

Hey just a huge thanks for putting this together and releasing it. Its like a free expansion pack for Kerbal, and I'm absolutely loving it.

Couple things. Please lessen the time warp constraints on Aptur. It drives me nuts. You can't go above 1x below 30k meters, and the 5x, 10x, etc contraints are awful too. Doing anything on the moon is so time consuming.

Also, can anyone tell me if KSPRC is working with this mod and 1.02 Kerbal? I'd like to get that going again.

Thanks!

Greg

Environmental Visual Enhancements works, so does Texture Replacer. Just don't install the Kittopia part of KSPRC and make sure to update TR.

time warp factors are on my to-do list for next update (have been putting it off for a while!). Things are heating up because Sonnah is pretty hot itself...I still have a little tweak to do to the heating though but hopefully nothing should explode until you get deep into Sonnah's atmosphere....(hopefully).....

Kerbol Plus integration is ready and waiting. After I update to Kopernicus 0.0.7, and so long as KerbolPlus does the same, I'll post compatibility patches in the OP for it & OPM.

Still trying to find a solution to the 'ceiling' bug at 1450 altitude above KSC...it's pretty frustrating for me as well! I'll post again when i have more information about it.

Okay so basically, im not sure why the texture res looks like this. i have settings on full res, but the added planets still seem pixelly fairly close up? on the map view they seem fine though, its almost like they get worse when i go out of map view.

i dunno if this is just the textures, or if i have an issue with another mod or something

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|1024:576&composite-to=*,*|1024:576&background-color=black

KillAshley,

Thank you for your work on this mod! It has made my current Lets Play significantly more interesting. I had also experienced the ~1400m camera glitch when I updated to 1.5 and wanted to add some things that I had noticed, in hopes that it can be properly squashed.

Comparing 1.5 to 1.4.21, this error DOES NOT occur until the 1.5 version of Kopernicus/Config/System.cfg is overwritten/added. Currently I am using all of the 1.5 files with the old System.cfg instead of the new one, it seems to be working fine. (I compared the two and only really see the addition of PQS to all bodies and light adjustments... nothing jumps out)

This does appear to simply be a camera issue, but it causes an eye twitch with every launch. I noticed that this happens about the same time there is a starburst puff of smoke that shoots out that does not occur in the stock version of the game. Also if the camera mode is "Locked" or the vessel is being viewed at an angle greater than 45 degrees above, this jump does not occur. If the ship is being viewed from below, the same time this occurs that camera jumps to a side view on its own (none of this mattering with stock KSP of course).

I tested multiple scenarios in a clean stock installation with only New Horizons so there are no other mod influences. An additional thing that I will add is that when changing between having the mod and not having the mod, removing the New Horizons, Kopernicus, and ModuleManager files from GameData would result in me having no parts in the VAB, at all. Starting a new game would result in the same thing, I think it may be tied to the persistent file from the save being loaded. Deleting any games that existed during New Horizons allowed me to start fresh without issue.

Looking forward to all of the improvements to the celestial bodies! It will take me long enough to advance Career far enough to explore them that they will be in great shape by the time I reach them.

-Tynrael

Thanks for the responses, KillAshley. A couple more things.

The 1450 meter thing over KSC is not just a camera glitch. If you let a spacecraft fall through that altitude over KSC, it will explode when its hits 1450.

Also, the heat on Sonnah has actually caused some problems with spacecraft being built around probe modules (Some have a 1200 heat limit. I'm having trouble with the HECS in particular at the moment). I've had it explode a couple times around the 350,000 meter range. I'm trying to do a recovery mission with a grappler for a part in low orbit at 318k altitude and its driving me freakin crazy. The delta V required to climb back out of a low orbit around Sonnah is ridiculous. Its like 3200 delta V to get back to Kerbin. Between that and the heat issues it turned into a ridiculous 8 hours of trying and I finally gave up.

Another general question. I've noticed that atmospheres around your planets dont seem to gradually get thicker very smoothly. Once you go under a certain altitude, the meter suddenly jumps and boom, you're in the soup. This can make aerobraking quite difficult, you have to be extremely precise to pull it off on these new planets. Is this by design, or are you aware of it?

Thanks!

Greg

Okay so basically, im not sure why the texture res looks like this. i have settings on full res, but the added planets still seem pixelly fairly close up? on the map view they seem fine though, its almost like they get worse when i go out of map view.

i dunno if this is just the textures, or if i have an issue with another mod or something

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/45380685815191773/3C895C3EBEB6DF879988484F9D3B27FDAC8356EE/?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|1024:576&composite-to=*,*|1024:576&background-color=black

The vie you show is under 120km, right? thats the approx change-over from the high-res map view texture the the actual generated terrain itself. There's still little tweaks i need to do before I'm 100% with the planets from this altitudes, but the textures this close will always be pretty low-res (look at any of the stock planets from the same altitude and you'll see)

**SNIP**

great work with letting me know about the system.cfg switch, never thought of that. Just tested and you're right. I've passed it onto the Kopernicus boys and hopefully they can finally get rid of this error!

As for the weird saves...that's a little odd, but given the extent to which kopernicus & NH modifies things I'm not that surprised that errors occur when removing them from a savegame.

so,KillAshley, have You been able to integrate NH+OPM+K+ ? I'd like to see that in action.

I posted them a while ago, but I'll leave them here again for you :wink:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Once the packs (and any other decent planet packs that spring up) are updated to kopernicus 0.0.7 I'll post the compatibility patches in the OP and let everyone know. This will of course be AFTER i update myself, as I've been a bit distracted lately...

**SNIP**

Yeah i know about the explosions with the 1450 bug...we're on the case, trust me!

The heat is not 100% done ATM and does still require more tweaking...but in saying that i will lower Sonnah's heat quite a bit to try and get it in a 'better' range. Hopefully it'll cause less explosions :wink:. The problem with the massive delta-v requirements from returning from low Sonnah orbit, is caused by it's gravity. I could lower it to greatly reduce the needed power, but that would raise the requirements for going to other planetary systems, so it's kind of a pain to try and balance, this is somehing that unfortunately won't be addressed for quite a while

As for the atmospheres, they follow stock pressure curves exactly, theres an issue that I'm aware of that makes the atmospheres a little strange sometimes and it's already fixed for the next release, however the curves for pressure follows stock exactly...planets are modeled from Kerbin, and the gas giants are modeled from Jool's curves, they are derived from a readout of atmosphereheight% against pressure% along the scale...just theres still outstanding issues that i have been (regretfully) too lazy to fix previously.:(

Hey so I'm trying to get KSPRC working with NH. I've followed all the instructions and recommendations. But I find that when I load my game and go to KSC and click on the tracking station, everything locks up. If I remove Texture Replacer this doesn't happen. I've updated Texture Replacer to 2.4.6 but still no luck. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hey so I'm trying to get KSPRC working with NH. I've followed all the instructions and recommendations. But I find that when I load my game and go to KSC and click on the tracking station, everything locks up. If I remove Texture Replacer this doesn't happen. I've updated Texture Replacer to 2.4.6 but still no luck. Anyone have any suggestions?

http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/37nedh/installing_mods_to_make_ksp_look_nicer_step_by/

Follow the instructions here and enjoy great quality. I had the exact your same problem before. You may also want to check 64bit workaround. it works almost perfectly.

Hey thanks, yafeshan, appreciate it!

KillAshley:

So I completed my low orbit recovery mission for Sonnah, was very challenging with the heat and gravity issues. I used an LVN recovery vehicle with lots of fins for radiators and a service bay to shield the heat sensitive stuff.

Question for you though. Just out of curiosity, why is Sonnah hot? Aren't most gas giants cold? Just curious what the logic is behind it. If there is a reason why its hot then I say leave it as is...

because of a typo that i grew fond of, I accidentally added a 0 in the number without realizing, and kinda liked how the heat challenged the player more so left it...this was before the 1.0 atmosphere changes where aerobraking into a gas giant atmosphere is tricky enough, will definitely lower it in the next update, have a lot of stupid mistakes being patched up finally...just need some free time to do the work really :wink:

Hey thanks, yafeshan, appreciate it!

KillAshley:

So I completed my low orbit recovery mission for Sonnah, was very challenging with the heat and gravity issues. I used an LVN recovery vehicle with lots of fins for radiators and a service bay to shield the heat sensitive stuff.

Question for you though. Just out of curiosity, why is Sonnah hot? Aren't most gas giants cold? Just curious what the logic is behind it. If there is a reason why its hot then I say leave it as is...

I'm guess the Dev wasn't thinking of this, based on the answer, but with recent Kepler discoveries, our solar system seems to be an exception, as opposed to the norm. Many systems have been discovered with gas giants, called "Hot Jupiters" orbiting very close to their star. Heres the wiki on the hot Jupiters found by Kepler:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Jupiter

I have downloaded OPM, but I'm starting to really dig the whole new solar system this mod creates. Now KillAshley, is this mod compatible with OPM yet? I am kind of new here and, I'll be honest, I just skipped to the last page here. :blush:

TheDoctor;2008182']I'm guess the Dev wasn't thinking of this' date=' based on the answer, but with recent Kepler discoveries, our solar system seems to be an exception, as opposed to the norm. Many systems have been discovered with gas giants, called "Hot Jupiters" orbiting very close to their star. Heres the wiki on the hot Jupiters found by Kepler:

[url']http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Jupiter

I have downloaded OPM, but I'm starting to really dig the whole new solar system this mod creates. Now KillAshley, is this mod compatible with OPM yet? I am kind of new here and, I'll be honest, I just skipped to the last page here. :blush:

I guess I can't read..... I see your banner says that OPM is supported. WOO!

TheDoctor;2008599']I guess I can't read..... I see your banner says that OPM is supported. WOO!

We're going to figure this out, I'm sure of it! I downloaded all of the contents of the zip file into my game data directory. start it up, no NH planets. Now mind you, I have OPM installed. So I figure, well, the zip file was "game data" so maybe if I pull these out of the second game data folder they will work. pulled out the folders in the game data folder, started it up and BOOM! Hey EVE is now working! that's awesome!!!! go to tracking station.... no NH planets. And now no OPM planets. Where did I go wrong! ;.;;.;;.;;.;:confused::blush:

hey TheDoctor! The install is pretty simple, just merge my download with you ksp directory, the inside of your gamedata folder should look something like this afterwards:

tFxHeWI.png

then just load it up! OPM is supported, but the files to make it compatible aren't included currently, as we work on different versions of Kopernicus for now. If you want to try and use them together, install NH first, then OPM and make sure to NOT OVERWRITE ANY FILES!

the patch to make OPM planets appear ion the right places is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zhibz1ju5ktnz52/OPMPatch.zip?dl=0

just install that like you did my mod.

any problems let me know!

What's the memory footprint of this pack?

I'm shopping around for something to completely change everything I thought I knew about Kerbol system when I finish my current long career. NH facinates me precisely because I love the idea of Kerbin being a terrestrial moon. I mean: What better way to stimulate the exploratory juices of lil green dudes then by having such wonderful worlds visible and nearby? You would have space exploration as practically a cultural foundation.

Version 1.5.4 is now live!

Please note that this new version fixes the 1450 ceiling bug, however it come with a price of a new bug of ships appearing at the incorrect position in KSC view. Rest assured they are in their correct positions in game, so don't worry too much!

• Updated to Kopernicus 0.0.7
  • Included altered system.cfg to fix 1450 bug
  • Fixed 15km boundary around planets
  • Changed gas giant temperatures to realistic proportions - no more super heated reentries :(
  • Fixed Etal's terrain height to include super mountains as envisioned
  • Altered timewarp values for bodies

If you find any new issues, please feel free to let me know so they can be dealt with ASAP! :D

KillAshley,

I love this mod. My last two campaigns have used it. I would like to make a couple of recommendations:

1. Would there be anyway for you to have an alternative downloadable configuration with a) Kerbin not orbiting a gas giant, B) have the Mun and Minmus in orbit back around Kerbin. The reason I ask is that I've played both ways and for the relatively new player, it is very daunting to start on a moon. Personally I like it either way but I think more players would be able to enjoy it if they had both configurations available to them.

2. The second thing I noticed is that when you are planning a trip to Aptur, the orbital cross with Kerbin freaks out the trajectory window calculators like KAC and MJ. Most of the time I just have to "wing it".

Keep up the great work!