[1.3] [Kopernicus] New Horizons v2.0.1 [2JUN17] - It's Back!

KillAshley

So loaded this up. I'm over 800 hours into KSP and was just.... worn out on it. It reached a point where I'd had to restart after 1.0.4 and the idea of going through gathering all the science from the Mun and Minmus, then the Duna expedition, the Eve flyby and probe to surface, Jool expedition and obligatory Laythe colony, etc. etc..... about as appealing as slapping a hornets nest. The grind for science and funds to go places I'd already been just didn't appeal.

Now, suddenly, it's almost like you're starting on Laythe. There's no easy to use dV map for each location; just getting around in system generally requires mid-transit maneuver node adjustments. I just finished a Serran landing and return with tier 1 tech; I hadn't realized how strong gravity was and after taking a surface EVA my Kerbal couldn't reach the ladder! I spent 20 minutes jump-climbing the landing gear and a parkour maneuver off an engine to catch the ladder to get back into the ship. I miscalculated how much fuel I'd need for a Mun capture, having cut too close to Sonnah on the approach and arrived going too quick - had to settle for an orbit, then return, then a second mission for a Mun landing.

It's been a ton of fun and has revitalized the game for me. Now my issue is the tech tree - I need probes and scanning missions, I always though it was goofy to put all the actually useful sat tools so far up the tech tree that you'll have been everywhere by the time you get them. Now it's turned critical as 'just winging it' for an interplanetary mission gives me an eye twitch.

Great mod, recommend it very highly. Anyone have any recommendations for a tech tree rebalance? Is 'better than starting manned' a good option? Also suddenly eager for a working 64 bit client; I play with the whole USI suite of mods and it plus this requires me to use ATM when I'd rather use Astronomers packs.

As MinimumSky5 said the Aptur problem has been deal with in the latest dev build (you can grab it on Github)...

Unfortunately as for the Mun thing....

I did indeed grab the dev build and I'll confirm that it's now fixed, cheers buddy :)

Noted about Mun. I didn't have much reason to use it anyway. Bleed it dry of science points, then move on I think - and Serran's arguably the better target, being a local Duna and all :) (In fact, allowing for less transfer cost and more delta-v to escape, it's almost exactly a local Duna... was that on purpose?)

- - - Updated - - -

Great mod, recommend it very highly. Anyone have any recommendations for a tech tree rebalance? Is 'better than starting manned' a good option? Also suddenly eager for a working 64 bit client; I play with the whole USI suite of mods and it plus this requires me to use ATM when I'd rather use Astronomers packs.

My favoured tree in 0.90 was Mod Oriented Tech Tree, and the author has been updating it recently, so that might be a very viable option now too :) Been using 'plain old' Community Tech Tree so far and... well, it's done me ok to the point of one manned Mun landing, and probes orbiting* Serran, Aptur, Lave and Laythe, but it's got some empty nodes (presumably I lack some mods) and things like rover wheels are still quite deep. That said, I've done precisely one landing so far, so maybe it's fair that I don't have them yet.

BTSM doesn't seem to be updated, and I rejected it in the past because it mandates Deadly Re-entry, which I did not want to deal with.

I also used to love USI mods, but they're kinda geared for some kind of life support, and with NH, I literally have no idea how long anything takes and realised it would just kill the crews :blush: I love RoverDude's work, but you have to know what you're doing, and NH makes us all newbies again... I've been mapping the delta-v requirements in notepad as I travel around. Only discovered today that Mun-to-Kerbin is no more expensive than stock; I honestly thought it was quite hard, then had over 1km/s spare when I got home. Awkward explanations to the recovery team...

* My personal game rules limited me here; no probe landers on vacuum bodies beyond Kerbin SoI, always send an orbiter before a lander, no more than one probe lander per target. Simple, but makes sure I put lots of boots on the ground :)

So loaded this up. I'm over 800 hours into KSP and was just.... worn out on it. It reached a point where I'd had to restart after 1.0.4 and the idea of going through gathering all the science from the Mun and Minmus, then the Duna expedition, the Eve flyby and probe to surface, Jool expedition and obligatory Laythe colony, etc. etc..... about as appealing as slapping a hornets nest. The grind for science and funds to go places I'd already been just didn't appeal.

Now, suddenly, it's almost like you're starting on Laythe. There's no easy to use dV map for each location; just getting around in system generally requires mid-transit maneuver node adjustments. I just finished a Serran landing and return with tier 1 tech; I hadn't realized how strong gravity was and after taking a surface EVA my Kerbal couldn't reach the ladder! I spent 20 minutes jump-climbing the landing gear and a parkour maneuver off an engine to catch the ladder to get back into the ship. I miscalculated how much fuel I'd need for a Mun capture, having cut too close to Sonnah on the approach and arrived going too quick - had to settle for an orbit, then return, then a second mission for a Mun landing.

It's been a ton of fun and has revitalized the game for me. Now my issue is the tech tree - I need probes and scanning missions, I always though it was goofy to put all the actually useful sat tools so far up the tech tree that you'll have been everywhere by the time you get them. Now it's turned critical as 'just winging it' for an interplanetary mission gives me an eye twitch.

^This. THIS is why I spent all this time making my mod. It's exactly this reason! The thought of doing another step-by-step playthrough in the same system drove me nuts, I didn't want to sit through that again, I needed a new experience, something that gave me an honest challenge, that would push my designs early game and make me thing twice when launching missions. Honestly, I'm glad you enjoy it dude, hearing feedback like that spurs me on to make this even better! :wink:

*snip*

Wasn't really intended as a local Duna, I just wanted a better challenge in the early game and through balancing the system it just kind of ended up that way :P

yeah theres not too many decent tech tree mods around ATM. I used to use & recommend the ADIOS tech tree, but it's pretty much abandoned now i think. Finding the right one with the compatibility i need is pretty tough, so i usually just use the CTT and cut my science returns waaaay down to make it a struggle.

Yeah life support can be tricky with NH, some planets take decades to reach. I recommend USI life support if you're interested, as the crew doesn't die, they just go on strike, damaging part of your ships (which can be switched off on the cfg).

I have rules for my games too, I usually RP my games - probe has to get to planet first & scan it (i use remote tech as well so it's crucial i have a network), manned missions can only be landed after scansat has finished mapping the world (apart from in the home system - I justify this as the planet is directly observable from the homeworld), no more than 2 probe landings can be made before a manned mission....and set up stations wherever feasible.

My favoured tree in 0.90 was Mod Oriented Tech Tree, and the author has been updating it recently, so that might be a very viable option now too :) Been using 'plain old' Community Tech Tree so far and... well, it's done me ok to the point of one manned Mun landing, and probes orbiting* Serran, Aptur, Lave and Laythe, but it's got some empty nodes (presumably I lack some mods) and things like rover wheels are still quite deep. That said, I've done precisely one landing so far, so maybe it's fair that I don't have them yet.

Giving MOTT a try right now; looks like it was just updated.

Use the USI life support option, it's simple but effective. Your Kerbals go without food for a week and they quit working until they're fed, that simple. You can easily take steps to put a couple of years supplies on a mission or even better build ships with a recycling/food production setup - think of it like a greenhouse and recycler. Probably about like living on algae for a couple years but it beats starving! Way less complex than TAC-LS which while I loved it tended to overwhelm mission designs for me.

^This. THIS is why I spent all this time making my mod. It's exactly this reason! The thought of doing another step-by-step playthrough in the same system drove me nuts, I didn't want to sit through that again, I needed a new experience, something that gave me an honest challenge, that would push my designs early game and make me thing twice when launching missions. Honestly, I'm glad you enjoy it dude, hearing feedback like that spurs me on to make this even better! :wink:

Yeah life support can be tricky with NH, some planets take decades to reach. I recommend USI life support if you're interested, as the crew doesn't die, they just go on strike, damaging part of your ships (which can be switched off on the cfg).

Pleasantly surprised at how much everything supports NH. It also adds more motivation to leverage things like MKS/OKS; a real self-sustaining MKS base on Laythe with an Extra Planetary Launchpad OKS station station and mostly automated mining setup on Derso would be a lot of work but would give me a far superior in situ jumping off point for exploration missions. A big up front investment but much, much cheaper in time and resources in the long run. Getting big missions out of Kerbin when it's a moon is turning into a significant cost; without a nearby easy source of resources for EPL there's no way to build big interplanetary vehicles in orbit - not unless I capture and mine some asteroids, something that again I just never had a good reason to do in stock.

Exploration is awesome. I really enjoy it, but I'm happiest when doing more than sight-seeing. Now I've got the impetus to better use my tools and actually put the time into huge interplanetary missions.

All very cool stuff. You keep doing your thing.

Wasn't really intended as a local Duna, I just wanted a better challenge in the early game and through balancing the system it just kind of ended up that way :P

Yeah life support can be tricky with NH...

I have rules for my games too...

Discovered this morning that it's not a local Duna at all. It lures you in with a soft upper atmos that barely lets you aerobrake at all, then laughs as you struggle to get back up from the ground with a lander that wants to fly backwards. Need to plan for a more vertical ascent profile I think, get over 10km asap. That or try for a plane.

Re life support, I noticed there's now a Deep Freeze mod which might offer some answers. Probably take less space than a regenerative LS system, but needs a chunk of power so something like Near Future is pretty mandatory. Not that it isn't pretty much mandatory for New Horizons anyway...

I went for Antenna Range instead of RT because I hated the speed of light and control blackouts that came with it - it just seemed to add problems without bringing any solutions to the table. That said, I've had to reconfigure AR for NH's larger solar system and I'm not quite sure whether it's worth trying to balance it so's a comms network is still required and sensible, or just forget the idea altogether :P

Pleasantly surprised at how much everything supports NH. It also adds more motivation to leverage things like MKS/OKS; a real self-sustaining MKS base on Laythe with an Extra Planetary Launchpad OKS station station and mostly automated mining setup on Derso would be a lot of work but would give me a far superior in situ jumping off point for exploration missions. A big up front investment but much, much cheaper in time and resources in the long run. Getting big missions out of Kerbin when it's a moon is turning into a significant cost; without a nearby easy source of resources for EPL there's no way to build big interplanetary vehicles in orbit - not unless I capture and mine some asteroids, something that again I just never had a good reason to do in stock.

Exploration is awesome. I really enjoy it, but I'm happiest when doing more than sight-seeing. Now I've got the impetus to better use my tools and actually put the time into huge interplanetary missions.

All very cool stuff. You keep doing your thing.

Took a lot of work to get where it is now, glad you enjoy it dude. I'll keep plugging away tweaking things to better fit. If you have any suggestions or need any mod support just let me know and I'll se what I can do.

Discovered this morning that it's not a local Duna at all. It lures you in with a soft upper atmos that barely lets you aerobrake at all, then laughs as you struggle to get back up from the ground with a lander that wants to fly backwards. Need to plan for a more vertical ascent profile I think, get over 10km asap. That or try for a plane.

Re life support, I noticed there's now a Deep Freeze mod which might offer some answers. Probably take less space than a regenerative LS system, but needs a chunk of power so something like Near Future is pretty mandatory. Not that it isn't pretty much mandatory for New Horizons anyway...

I went for Antenna Range instead of RT because I hated the speed of light and control blackouts that came with it - it just seemed to add problems without bringing any solutions to the table. That said, I've had to reconfigure AR for NH's larger solar system and I'm not quite sure whether it's worth trying to balance it so's a comms network is still required and sensible, or just forget the idea altogether :P

Haha it is a little...but with everything in NH it always requires a challenge! Planes are a good way to go, with an oxygen atmosphere Serran is pretty good to visit with a plane :wink:

I forgot all about Deep Freeze, and it's a mod that i use regularly too! definitely get it dude, and give life support a try. It will add that much more of an experience & challenge to your missions...

I'll have a look into AR and see if i think it needs tweaking. I didn't end up patching RT because Kerbin dishes can still reach Vanor when they are in the same half of their obits, and I didn't feel they needed to be more powerful than that. I'll have a look at AR and see how they do things :wink:

AR's kind of an RT lite, just adds a maximum range to each stock antenna. Primarily it's used to determine whether you can/cannot transmit science, but you can optionally have it prevent controlling the probe when out of range (I don't!)

There's also an option to have an increasing power use with range; but that seems to get crazy very rapidly, resulting in transmitting your data in such tiny fragments that you get zero science from each piece. Wasted my Lave probe to this, not realising that it's 205ec wasn't even close to enough :(

By default, the whip antenna reaches from Kerbin to Minmus, while the square dish is good for Moho/Eve/Duna. With NH, it hardly seemed to reach anywhere. I think I've scaled it up by a factor of 10 so far, just to reach Lave... some time I'll have to sit down and figure out the orbital radii involved and plot some sensible options.

*edit*

I forgot I don't have turbojets yet. There goes the spaceplane option... But maybe I can drop a basic jet drone and get a few biomes worth of transmissible science before it runs out of fuel... or get some orbiters sent to every other planet in the solar system to farm science before starting my manned missions in earnest. Hmm, decisions...

Edited by eddiew

Lemur class prototype Serran lander; breaking all the rules of aerodynamics and getting away with it. Totally reliant on 5 reaction wheels to stay stable, but the nacelles will get her suborbital before jettisoning. ~3600 vacuum delta-v. Needs a tap from the engines to soften the fall (I broke the legs on this run).

This was a HyperEdit simulation ahead of a proper mission; as yet I don't know whether my tech level (nothing past 300 points) will let me launch it. Pod and science package have a dedicated parachute and heatshield, so I'm sure they'll be fine - if I can deliver them this far. The lack of fins required makes me hopeful that it will launch gracefully though. I don't think this is too draggy to be on the front of a heavy lifter and get away with it :)

fMpDdNm.jpg

And just for the record, the blue side is hard, what with it being about 5km above sea level! Need moar chutes...

Also, is it meant to have a black sky? I kinda expected some blue up there...

Lemur class prototype Serran lander; breaking all the rules of aerodynamics and getting away with it. Totally reliant on 5 reaction wheels to stay stable, but the nacelles will get her suborbital before jettisoning. ~3600 vacuum delta-v. Needs a tap from the engines to soften the fall (I broke the legs on this run).

This was a HyperEdit simulation ahead of a proper mission; as yet I don't know whether my tech level (nothing past 300 points) will let me launch it. Pod and science package have a dedicated parachute and heatshield, so I'm sure they'll be fine - if I can deliver them this far. The lack of fins required makes me hopeful that it will launch gracefully though. I don't think this is too draggy to be on the front of a heavy lifter and get away with it :)

And just for the record, the blue side is hard, what with it being about 5km above sea level! Need moar chutes...

Also, is it meant to have a black sky? I kinda expected some blue up there...

haha very cool, and for the record: no Serran is meant to have a cyan sky color. Didn't spot that error, I'll get this fixed now.

I'd just like to give a shout out to SETI for anyone who is looking for a better techtree. It's balanced for probes first and supports quite a lot of mods. The author is also pretty active on development and balance. I'd recommend giving it a try if you are unhappy with stock techtree.

Fixed the horizons on all planets, eddiew...sunrises now look pretty again:

Sweet, thanks Ash. Haven't yet made my official launch, so this is just in time for some proper eye candy. Makes the 'simulation' run feel more valid :)

The launcher is massive so far to shift that beast of a lander... a Twin-Boar and four Skippers required get it to LKO. Even cutting the transfer stage a bit short of fuel and requiring unpowered aerocapture, I'm running over 200,000 roots to get three kerbals and a science package there and back. It would easily have gone to Duna under stock :blush:

Kinda worried that my 'no 1-man-cans' rule is going to bite me in the ass in NH. Serran is barely a day's travel away and has breathable air, I feel like subsequent science farming trips could be made by a lone scientist with a jet ¬_¬

- - - Updated - - -

you have plans to update this mod

This mod is one of the most regularly updated on the board O_o

I'd just like to give a shout out to SETI for anyone who is looking for a better techtree. It's balanced for probes first and supports quite a lot of mods. The author is also pretty active on development and balance. I'd recommend giving it a try if you are unhappy with stock techtree.

Seconding SETI CTT, though unfortunately SETI Contracts doesn't translate well to NH at all; the planet contracts are hard-coded by name, so e.g. you get missions to go to Minmus before you've left the SOI of Sonnah, and you'll never get anything for the non-stock planets.

SETI CTT start with new horizons is almost impossible(hard setting). Clearly not recommended for this planet pack.

After reading some comments here, I decided to play roleplaying style. Its becaming too easy otherwise. When you get a lucrative mission to Vanor and its moons you will get enough funds and science to do anything. You do not have to land any planets and you can almost finish CTT loaded with several mods. Planet packs offer so much science than we need at very early stage.

I will follow probe orbiter-probe lander-manned mission order. Remote tech and life support is a must in this planet pack. Personally, I get bored of game without some forced difficulty.

Thanks for great work Killashley

SETI CTT start with new horizons is almost impossible(hard setting). Clearly not recommended for this planet pack.

~snip

Not sure I can agree with this. I run 50% science with a config to reduce contract science by 50% as well and I haven't run into any issues. Sure you gotta get a lot of science from around Kerbin, but the rest is just a fun challenge.

Great work on this planet pack. The planet layout is amazing and all the new planets are beautiful.

Sweet, thanks Ash. Haven't yet made my official launch, so this is just in time for some proper eye candy. Makes the 'simulation' run feel more valid :)

it's all good, must have been a change with kopernicus that i didn't notice previously, all atmospheric planets have their horizons back now:D

This mod is one of the most regularly updated on the board O_o

Funny you should say that, I'm about to put another one up, as the dev version is pretty stable to I'll be happy to release it! Should fix a lot of peoples issues hopefully.

Seconding SETI CTT, though unfortunately SETI Contracts doesn't translate well to NH at all; the planet contracts are hard-coded by name, so e.g. you get missions to go to Minmus before you've left the SOI of Sonnah, and you'll never get anything for the non-stock planets.

I know, it's a shame really, I'm kind of tempted to delve into them and see if theres a way i can alter them to add compatibility, but that will require a lot of work that i might not even have time for....

After reading some comments here, I decided to play roleplaying style. Its becaming too easy otherwise. When you get a lucrative mission to Vanor and its moons you will get enough funds and science to do anything. You do not have to land any planets and you can almost finish CTT loaded with several mods. Planet packs offer so much science than we need at very early stage.

I will follow probe orbiter-probe lander-manned mission order. Remote tech and life support is a must in this planet pack. Personally, I get bored of game without some forced difficulty.

Thanks for great work Killashley

Yeah balance is a tricky thing to obtain really, early game is pretty nice as it forces you to get interplanetary. However, once you get to the point where you can reliably send interplanetary missions out, balance shifts and the sheer amount of science available in the system (no matter how much i cut it down) makes end game pretty easy. *sigh* the troubles of balancing science :(

Not sure I can agree with this. I run 50% science with a config to reduce contract science by 50% as well and I haven't run into any issues. Sure you gotta get a lot of science from around Kerbin, but the rest is just a fun challenge.

Great work on this planet pack. The planet layout is amazing and all the new planets are beautiful.

good to hear, i didn't want to make it too easy to achieve sandbox status, and i wanted to put a bit of emphasis on the local system. I might have a look at that science contract config...might be useful for the pack

Edited by KillAshley

I like the emphasis on the local system. Provides a nice change of pace and gives a good amount to do without worrying about long planetary transfers.

As for the science contract config. I was using DMagics contract reward configurator thingy and considering what I was doing with it I thought it was overkill. So in a effort to reduce mods I looked around and discovered that if you have Contract Configurator you can have a super simple config (below) to alter the reward science you get. In my case I reduced it 50%.

@CONTRACT_TYPE
{
@rewardScience *= 0.5
}

Still testing it, but from what I can see it works pretty nice and is really simple.

That makes sense! I was wondering why the blue side was coming very fast at my face with not much atmospheric speed reduction- I did not take note of the elevation. There is a diminishing return to how much the chutes can slow you down though, the gap between when they cool down enough to deploy from the insertion and hitting the ground can be pretty brief. I recently deployed mine at 7.3k "Risky" to land at 5.3k- next time I would want some soft engine assistance.

I like the emphasis on the local system. Provides a nice change of pace and gives a good amount to do without worrying about long planetary transfers.

As for the science contract config. I was using DMagics contract reward configurator thingy and considering what I was doing with it I thought it was overkill. So in a effort to reduce mods I looked around and discovered that if you have Contract Configurator you can have a super simple config (below) to alter the reward science you get. In my case I reduced it 50%.

@CONTRACT_TYPE
{
@rewardScience *= 0.5
}

Still testing it, but from what I can see it works pretty nice and is really simple.

cool, cheers I'll look into this in the future...

Is it possible to fly to Ernus? My probes just evaporate long before reaching this planet from overheating.

You can, but it's pretty tricky. Ernus sits in a sma where the ambient temperature is 1500-1600K, you really need to build your ships to suit. Kerbals only get about 10 seconds on the surface before they blow up! It seems impossible, but it can be done. You just have to make sure all your external parts can withstand that temperature range.....

That makes sense! I was wondering why the blue side was coming very fast at my face with not much atmospheric speed reduction- I did not take note of the elevation. There is a diminishing return to how much the chutes can slow you down though, the gap between when they cool down enough to deploy from the insertion and hitting the ground can be pretty brief. I recently deployed mine at 7.3k "Risky" to land at 5.3k- next time I would want some soft engine assistance.

hehe so my evil plans for the challenges of Serran are working! :sticktongue:

Wholly mother of mods! I'm in love. Beautiful so far. Some graphical issues landing on a moon with atmosphere, but otherwise, glorious!

If you want to fix those graphical issues, grab the development version of Github, it has a tonne of fixes. Although I'm gonna do a hotfix update as soon as i have time to upload it properly. Could be tonight if I'm lucky :wink:

but thank you anyways!

The great Serran adventure!

7YgLubK.jpg

Starting to really dislike the heating in 1.0.4... anything more than a pod really struggles to get any decent braking. Even for such a short trip as this, I was losing parts due to instant-overheating at random occasions. The solar panels I could tolerate, the spontaneous disintegration of the nacelles not so much. Many F9s gave their lives to bring us this landing.

Moral of the story; pack enough fuel to circularise as close to the atmosphere as you can manage. The last thing you want to do is bring you AP down from 6000 to 100km by aerobraking alone.

The other moral of the story; Serran isn't as easy as you think. Farm Mun/Aptur for science first if you want to drop 3-man crews onto it's.

The other other moral of the story; don't go for the blue side on your first drop. It's 5km above sea level and the air's too thin to slow you down enough for parachutes.

The final moral of the story; the wise among you will notice the lander's nacelle engines were available from launch to arrival, but I'm a tard and put a Skipper under the transfer stage. Losing it would have enabled circularising without aerobraking. The Lemur MKIII will be better. (We do not speak of the Lemur MKI.)

Starting to really dislike the heating in 1.0.4... anything more than a pod really struggles to get any decent braking. Even for such a short trip as this, I was losing parts due to instant-overheating at random occasions. The solar panels I could tolerate, the spontaneous disintegration of the nacelles not so much. Many F9s gave their lives to bring us this landing.

Moral of the story; pack enough fuel to circularise as close to the atmosphere as you can manage. The last thing you want to do is bring you AP down from 6000 to 100km by aerobraking alone.

The other moral of the story; Serran isn't as easy as you think. Farm Mun/Aptur for science first if you want to drop 3-man crews onto it's.

The other other moral of the story; don't go for the blue side on your first drop. It's 5km above sea level and the air's too thin to slow you down enough for parachutes.

The final moral of the story; the wise among you will notice the lander's nacelle engines were available from launch to arrival, but I'm a tard and put a Skipper under the transfer stage. Losing it would have enabled circularising without aerobraking. The Lemur MKIII will be better. (We do not speak of the Lemur MKI.)

lol very cool, the pictures made me realise i overdid the color changes to the atmosphere. I reverted the changes back to a more subtle coloring. I'm still toying with the heating though :( it's annoying as hell lol