[1.3] [Kopernicus] New Horizons v2.0.1 [2JUN17] - It's Back!

KillAshley

yeah i had to resort to the 64-bit hack to get my game going again...miss out on a couple mods like FAR, and theres no bug support, but imho it's worth i for how nice my game looks lol

I love 64-bit, bugs and all (three crashes in two weeks, all loading 200+ part craft from VAB to launchpad, fine after a restart.)

Also, this. oPqlG3w.jpg?1

That tiny green ring in the middle, that's Jool. I'm zoomed out so far you can't even see the inner ring of planets. It's NH + OPM + K+.

This is truly an outstanding mod. I'm just starting to scratch the surface, and for the first time in a couple of months I'm having visions of a long-term program.

More than that, it put the fear of Kerbal back in me. I just had to perform a rescue mission on the very fringes of Sonnah's SOI while having no idea of the Delta V requirements or anything. It's literally just like when I first started.

Thanks a ton for this.

I got the opposite end; a rescue mission barely 20km above Sonnah's atmosphere. Solution to having to recover the pod? Take a ship with a klaw where the pod should be! And breathe a sigh of relief that it was only a little one-manner. If this had been anything larger, I wouldn't have had the fuel to come back...

Ag2xUxY.jpg

On a small note to anyone using Final Frontier:

Using the Planetfactory Addon for FinalFrontier I made it compatible with New Horizon (renaming the planet names in the folders (not so necessary) and in the .info file from PlanetFactory's worlds to New Horizon's. (not uploading anything because of simplicity, just thought I'd share)

:)

aSwWpq3.jpg

I wish all my payloads were small enough to be lifted with an SSTO recoverable rocket. The smaller option above only costs about 17k to put on Mun, after the launcher comes home - loads of profit from those survey missions ^^

Are any of you using Transfer Window Planner successfully? I can't seem to get any of the values to match up for something as simple as a transfer to the Mun. Mechjeb's porkchops seem fine.

Are any of you using Transfer Window Planner successfully? I can't seem to get any of the values to match up for something as simple as a transfer to the Mun. Mechjeb's porkchops seem fine.

Mechjeb is not working at all for me when trying to transfer from Kerbin's SOI, but I'm using an old version. It gives me a rough idea of when the burn should be done, but it wants to burn directly into Kerbins surface for some reason. It does fine once out of Kerbins SOI though.

I'm finding it's easier to just use manuever nodes at this point.

Edit: I should add that I don't actually think it's a problem with Mechjeb.

Edited by Randazzo

If you check out the whole NH system from the side in the mapview you can see the whole system is at a massive tilt, I think most porkchop calculations assume similar horizontal inclination for orbits and that is rarely the case with NH. I use TWP to let me know when I need to burn and give me rough estimates of the amount of dV required in which directions- it gets me 90% of the way there and saves most of the guess work. I also rarely circularize any orbits aside from my initial Kerbin one so I assume that counts for additional fussing I have to do.

My Valentina has finally completed the "Sonnah System Tour", 8 other lucky Kerbals have been ferried around to plant flags on Aptur, the Mun, and now Serran!

.....Valentina: "Blue shift is objects moving quickly toward you right?" <taps the pod window, everything looks very blue...> "These clouds are making it difficult to... O M G that's no blue shift, deploy the chutes deploy the chutes!"

.....Valentina: "Piece of cake, was not worried for a second- would play chicken with Serran any day."

sIGeg9y.jpg

Last time I panicked at 7k to deploy my chutes to land at 5k, this time I landed at 7,222! Had my blood pumping... I had to mess around with Texture Replacer configs to get the helmets off. The Serran description said it had a breathable atmosphere (so I wanted no helmets!) and it appears that in addition to the atmSuitBodies flag that it uses another setting where a certain amount of pressure is required, atmSuitPressure. I'm not sure what the pressure is here but I set it to 0.01 just to guarantee it would trigger- it could be something that gets added to the CFG already being used in the Stock Texture Overhaul CFG.

Yeah, I've had similar issues with transfer planning in RSS. The biggest problem IMHO is that Transfer Window Planner doesn't tell you the orbital elements of your transfer orbit. That is what matters, that is what defines your transfer, and how you get into it is less important. Alexmoon's website does give that info but it isn't practical to use with modded systems.

Tbh, New Horizons has been teaching me how to plot interplanetaries by eye. I used to rely on mechjeb - now I burn out of Kerbin orbit, through Sonnah SoI, and hit my target :)

TWP's best use seems to be plotting a course from 44,000km altitude around Sonnah. Use that as your optimal time, and wait for Kerbin to be on the right side of it vs the sun - then for your orbit to be on the right side of Kerbin. You do kind of have to throw away the idea of making a node many days in advance though...

one question regarding serran:

when I first landed there, I immediately went down to -150m (because that's where the ground is). as far as I know, serran once had an ocean. any idea when this ocean will be back?

the biggest problem is, that it's hard to use science experiments on serran, while the camera does not accept to rotate (it just allows to look at it from above). and besides: this planet deserves an ocean ;)

I thought I fixed the negative altitudes, I'll sort it out asap. I have no real intention to bring the ocean back atm, as cantab said the oceans drying up is a pretty good standing point as it is.

I'll go and double check planets and make sure all bodies are in the positive altitudes....I'll also lower the variance for Serran's blue side too, make it a bit more sane of a difference.

KillAshely, what tools are you using for generating the maps of your planets? Looking through them I definitely see some SE in there but also some which look more like they were created with some fractal noise generator, apart from the handmade editing. Apologies for all the questions and thanks for answering them btw :)

Most are started in SE but highly customised. The ones that weren't were normally procedurally generated by KSP itself then customised by me. Extremely interesting maps can be created procedurally, its definitely a worthwhile time sink to figure the PQS mods out

Ah, interesting approach. So you went template > KSP's PQSMods > Heightmap export? What did you use for exporting, Kopernicus? And I assume you based the coloration on SE or made it yourself on top of the heightmap...

Na didn't touch the heightmaps per se, the general colorations on some planet were based on height true, but they were generated into color maps with kittopia, and then manually fixed up and painted by me. I mainly overlayed the colormap on the normal to make the textures really come alive. Personally seeing the contours of the terrain is a major factor for me. All the planets were made back in the time of kopernicustech, so the approach was a bit dodgy haha

At the end of the day you technically don't need to do any of the custom painting work, it can all be done via LandControl in the .cfg. It's only now that I've been able to see what it's capable of...

Na didn't touch the heightmaps per se, the general colorations on some planet were based on height true, but they were generated into color maps with kittopia, and then manually fixed up and painted by me. I mainly overlayed the colormap on the normal to make the textures really come alive. Personally seeing the contours of the terrain is a major factor for me. All the planets were made back in the time of kopernicustech, so the approach was a bit dodgy haha

At the end of the day you technically don't need to do any of the custom painting work, it can all be done via LandControl in the .cfg. It's only now that I've been able to see what it's capable of...

You merged normal and color, or was there a more complicated process behind that? Are Ete and Oree made with KSP? Those reminded me of a couple noise generators I have been toying with and I am curious to know if KSP is really that close to them. Oh, and what about gas giant textures - I have found that the SE exports would require editing all those different maps together to get something that is usable by KSP and have no idea how to do that. Vanor is very nice imo.

And yeah, Landcontrol seems to be totally awesome and is probably a huge help with memory, it is just very time consuming to figure all of those PQSMods out.

You merged normal and color, or was there a more complicated process behind that? Are Ete and Oree made with KSP? Those reminded me of a couple noise generators I have been toying with and I am curious to know if KSP is really that close to them. Oh, and what about gas giant textures - I have found that the SE exports would require editing all those different maps together to get something that is usable by KSP and have no idea how to do that. Vanor is very nice imo.

And yeah, Landcontrol seems to be totally awesome and is probably a huge help with memory, it is just very time consuming to figure all of those PQSMods out.

Well, I know that he overlays the color maps over the normals, both of which are heavily tweaked when it comes to contrast and other basic image settings. I use the same tehnique in Kerbol Plus, but I preffer using greyscale normals for the process, instead of defauld pink ones. Cheers! Also, Ashley, PLS send me a PM because I am in big config truble and I don't know the cause...

I thought I fixed the negative altitudes, I'll sort it out asap. I have no real intention to bring the ocean back atm, as cantab said the oceans drying up is a pretty good standing point as it is.

I'll go and double check planets and make sure all bodies are in the positive altitudes....I'll also lower the variance for Serran's blue side too, make it a bit more sane of a difference.

I'm not yet on the latest NH-version, I think, it's 2 weeks old or so...

It may be time consuming, but the end result is better and more natural than using color maps. There other alternatives to LandControl though, such as HeightColorMap, and also VertexSimplexNoiseColor can be used (like it's used for 2 NH bodies).

Gas giants are created however you want, but yeah a lot of custom work needs to be done to get them perfect.

I really recommend looking into the PQS maods more instead of relying on color maps for surfaces like NH does.

Ashley, PLS send me a PM because I am in big config truble and I don't know the cause...

When I get time I will

I'm not yet on the latest NH-version, I think, it's 2 weeks old or so...

The latest version won't help tbh, it's something I thought I fixed a while ago. I'll fix it when I get some time off work.

Do you mean reducing the altitude of the blue section? At the moment it's what, 5-7 km mostly? If I suppose that the White Lands was once a deep ocean floor and the high areas were once continents then that difference in altitude makes sense to me.

Yeah I'm just going to "skim a little off the top"... Basically when I removed the ocean that was originally part of Serran I had to raise the terrain to compensate, I'm just going to lower the deformity a little and bring it down from 5-7km to 3-5, just enough so you get a bit more of an atmosphere coming down