[1.3] [Kopernicus] New Horizons v2.0.1 [2JUN17] - It's Back!

KillAshley

Sounds like the usual memory usage issue. Try removing other mods, running using DX11 or OpenGL, or running on Linux.

Or 64-bit, Linux or the Windows workaround. There's a few issues with the Windows version though.

Edit: Don't forget you'll also be giving up your ability to get support (for Windows 64-bit) unless you test in a 32-bit Windows install to confirm.

So for my first interplanetary trip in New Horizons I'm off to Jool! An unmanned mission with an orbiter that will drop ten separate landers. One each for Jool, Dres, Duna, Ike, and Nolas. Three for Leouch, an atmo lander for the canyon and both an atmo and vacuum ones for the highlands. And one each for Vix and Valit from Kerbol Plus.

Launch: https://flic.kr/p/xLQSr7

And course set

20856131023_c10dc6ef54_h.jpg

I entered a Kerbin orbit roughly in the plane of the ecliptic hoping that would help, not sure how useful it has been though, my transfer orbit has a strong inclination compared to Jool but I'll look at whether I can make a correction in Kerbin or Sonnah's SOI.

No lander pics yet, because of the screenshot-spoiling overheat bug.

I have played over 500 hours of KSP, 60 hours into my NH carrer, and I STILL haven't figured out an easy way to get to Aptur (that doesn't involve changing my orbit to that of the mun, change inclination, and wait 3+ days for an encounter, for an average of 1500m/s ∆V)

I love the feeling of being a noob again

So for my first interplanetary trip in New Horizons

Very cool, dude :wink:

I have played over 500 hours of KSP, 60 hours into my NH carrer, and I STILL haven't figured out an easy way to get to Aptur (that doesn't involve changing my orbit to that of the mun, change inclination, and wait 3+ days for an encounter, for an average of 1500m/s ∆V)

lol I know that feeling dude, took me a while to get used to it myself. best advice i can five you is to practice and find a cheaper solution :wink:

xubaXAc.png

I started a new series on YouTube, featuring this planet pack. I've just scratched the surface and so far I'm super impressed with it.

But I'm not here (just) to pimp my video. I'd also like to say thank you. KSP was getting a bit stale, and I was stuck in a "already done it" rut. Well, tonight I nosed to the grindstone and figured out exactly how to get from Kerbin to Aptur. It felt good to not know something again, and to have to actually figure something out. I'd feared those days were behind me :)

I'm not sure it's the best way, but it costs less than 1km/s of dV from Kerbin orbit to Aptur orbit so I'm happy!

I'm not sure it's the best way, but it costs less than 1km/s of dV from Kerbin orbit to Aptur orbit so I'm happy!

Explain how! :o I've never gotten it below about 800m/s at each end :< Your kind of efficiency makes it viable as a refuelling depot however...

The KSC overview screen seems to be a separate thing rendered independently of Kerbin and New Horizons confuses it completely. If you timewarp in the tracking station until dawn, KSC will be sunny when you get back to it :)

Mun is, afaik, indeed unchanged. Transfer to/from it is a bit more costly than stock though, mainly in the circularisation burn.

Also, don't fear going for atmospheric science at Sonnah - KillAshley has tuned it very well and you can skim it without death by fire. Unlike Jool, it can be admired from up close as well as afar :)

Explain how! :o I've never gotten it below about 800m/s at each end :< Your kind of efficiency makes it viable as a refuelling depot however...

I'll be doing it next episode. I "figured it out" by fiddling with maneuver nodes for about an hour (thanks Precisenode!) I think it comes down to 3 things:

1) Eject from Kerbin at the AN/DN of Aptur.

2) Use about 760m/s (from 100km orbit). Ideally, one more m/s than you need to escape.

3) Set it up so you eject on whatever side Aptur is on when you eject. (This one may be dodgy, fiddle with the maneuver node a bit).

Then when you come into Aptur, you should be basically going its speed, so it only takes a few m/s to get captured, and a couple hundred to get a nice tight orbit. I think the maneuver node said 380 to come to a complete stop.

Note: I haven't done any of this yet, it was all just plotted with maneuver nodes. However, I'm comfortable enough plotting multiple maneuver node plans to be sure I could nail them.

Also, don't fear going for atmospheric science at Sonnah - KillAshley has tuned it very well and you can skim it without death by fire. Unlike Jool, it can be admired from up close as well as afar :)

I loved doing my outer-atmosphere dip in Sonnah! Putting a plane on the atmosphere of that big boy is most definitively on my to-do list. Now, if only there was a way to leave a plane on "auto" in atmosphere and leave it there for future missions...

Very nice vid dude, you'be got a new sub! I'll link the op to your channel as long as you don't mind. Will be waiting to see more:wink:

What's your release schedule like?

Like a YouTuber would MIND a link to his channel :D

My schedule is best described as "Sporadic." Generally every 3rd or 4th day, but usually newer series get quicker releases for the first few episodes, and semi frequently (though less in Winter) life happens and I don't release as much, sometimes going a week without a video. My ego tells me this is why my numbers remain low :)

1) Eject from Kerbin at the AN/DN of Aptur.

2) Use about 760m/s (from 100km orbit). Ideally, one more m/s than you need to escape.

3) Set it up so you eject on whatever side Aptur is on when you eject. (This one may be dodgy, fiddle with the maneuver node a bit).

Then when you come into Aptur, you should be basically going its speed, so it only takes a few m/s to get captured, and a couple hundred to get a nice tight orbit. I think the maneuver node said 380 to come to a complete stop.

Note: I haven't done any of this yet, it was all just plotted with maneuver nodes. However, I'm comfortable enough plotting multiple maneuver node plans to be sure I could nail them.

Not to spoil the next episode, but this not only isn't entirely accurate, it doesn't work - at least not perfectly - due to KSP's penchant for lying about what will happen to your ship when you spend any amount of time near an SOI boundary. Step 3 isn't right, you want to eject at about the midway point between the -grade vectors and the radial vectors. And you also probably want to add a couple m/s of dV to your ejection so you pass through the SOI boundary cleanly.

oh my god I DID IT with about 850m/s! It's still a long damn transfer, but I'm so happy now

On the other hand, since I have no idea how I did it, I'm sure I will not be able to replicate it in any way :P

Also, have you tried telling mechjeb to get to aptur? It spews out comical results (like a 3414309 m/s manouver)

oh my god I DID IT with about 850m/s! It's still a long damn transfer, but I'm so happy now

On the other hand, since I have no idea how I did it, I'm sure I will not be able to replicate it in any way :P

Yay! I was coming here to say I did too :) Though I am pretty confident I can replicate it. Basically what I said before but you eject - it seems - on the prograde or retrograde side of Kerbin's orbit moving a bit radially sideways (and very slow) relative to Kerbin. If you eject prograde, you're moving inward toward Sonnah, so you natually speed up away from Kerbin and meet Aptur when it's on the inside track, 180 degrees (Relative to Sonnah) away. If you need to meet Aptur when it's outside Kerbin, you eject retrograde with some outward motion to keep yourself from speeding up and catching back up to Kerbin. It seems that the sweet spot is 5m/s more than you need to escape. You generally need about 760 from a 100x100 orbit, so I tested at 765 and it was perfect to get an encounter with a cheap (Like, 50-60 m/s) orbit insertion burn at Aptur.

And this time I actually did it to make sure and it worked like a charm.

Bonus, getting home for about 50-60m/s (from Orbit) seems pretty simple, and can be done most any time. All you need to do is set up the node and then use precise node to go forward a few orbits until you get a Kerbin encounter. That encounter will always be low speed, so your periapsis will be close (if not well in) the atmosphere.

I'm filling in my personal dV chart with LKO <#--760--> Escape <--5--> Aptur Transfer <--50--> Aptur orbit for now.

(# means aerobraking is possible)

Edited by 5thHorseman

The technique I used, (which i highly doubt is the most efficient, but at least it got me there), is I exited kerbin into orbit of sonnah, adjusted my inclination to match Aptur, then orbited around Sonnah until I was just far enough behind Aptur that I could set a waypoint that would intercept Aptur

Yay! I was coming here to say I did too :) Though I am pretty confident I can replicate it. Basically what I said before but you eject - it seems - on the prograde or retrograde side of Kerbin's orbit moving a bit radially sideways (and very slow) relative to Kerbin. If you eject prograde, you're moving inward toward Sonnah, so you natually speed up away from Kerbin and meet Aptur when it's on the inside track, 180 degrees (Relative to Sonnah) away. If you need to meet Aptur when it's outside Kerbin, you eject retrograde with some outward motion to keep yourself from speeding up and catching back up to Kerbin. It seems that the sweet spot is 5m/s more than you need to escape. You generally need about 760 from a 100x100 orbit, so I tested at 765 and it was perfect to get an encounter with a cheap (Like, 50-60 m/s) orbit insertion burn at Aptur.

My brain is hugging its knees in a corner after trying to work that out... any chance of a shiny picture or twain?

For reference,

91sAzDu.jpg

. Similar escape burn, but the capture burn isn't much less.

To keep your capture burn low it's the same as anything else - you want your orbit round Sonnah to just kiss Aptur's orbit, not to cross it at a substantial angle.

So far what I've been doing is noting that Aptur appears to be in a retrograde inclined orbit round Kerbin, and trying to launch into that orbital inclination before looking for a transfer. I've been able to get cheap transfers but whether the retrograde inclined thing is necessary I don't really know. Regardless it will be a while before I visit Aptur again, I've explored it fairly well.

Interesting, I'm curious what the Transfer Window Planner has to say about a Kerbin => Aptur transfer plot? Anyone tried it out?

It can't calculate it. Edit: Nevermind.

It can and it does give you the optimum solution. For whatever the reason it cannot produce a plot though (Aptur -> Kerbin works totally fine in comparisson)

Huh, guess it can now. I tried a few months ago in an older NH/Kopernicus build and it kept giving me an error. Well, I'm wrong!

Edited by IggyHitokage

and if you would bother to use the mouse on the plot (which is a single color), you would have seen that the values are there...

furthermore the ideal solution is displayed on default as always....

I tried to perform some of the burns it suggested and gave up after about 5 minutes. It was far easier to spend the time to actually look at what was happening and figure out the best strategy, than get the numbers all correct for the nth time and see - yet again - that the resultant trajectories in no way resulted in anything that could be called an intercept.

- - - Updated - - -

My brain is hugging its knees in a corner after trying to work that out... any chance of a shiny picture or twain?

I'll be doing it in a future episode of my LP (Episode 3, assuming I nail it) but I may be able to actually do a "how to" before that, either video or pics. We'll see how the weekend treats me.