[1.3] [Kopernicus] New Horizons v2.0.1 [2JUN17] - It's Back!

KillAshley

Where do you find the memory space to be compatible with all these mods? :o I've only got about 3 parts packs and NH (and a million UI mods) but I get a max of 2 hours before needing to restart due to that stupid 32 bit limit...
64-bit KSP has no address space limit. Linux has an official 64-bit KSP, Windows has an unofficial hack.

And I believe KillAshley previously mentioned that while New Horizons supports a bunch of planet packs he didn't really expect someone to install them all at once. (I did :D .)

For what it's worth, I have a New Horizons compatibility patch for The Boris System in development. I still need to check the orbits are all OK with no SOI clashes though.

64-bit KSP has no address space limit. Linux has an official 64-bit KSP, Windows has an unofficial hack.

This much I knew, but my PC has to do more than just gaming and Linux is simply not an option unless it's a virtual machine - and I believe that would make it unable to access the GPU hardware properly. Windows hack seems to do unpredictable and weird things that I don't really want to encounter... I'm more inclined to wait for 1.1 to bring Unity 5 and x64 :)

Where do you find the memory space to be compatible with all these mods? :o I've only got about 3 parts packs and NH (and a million UI mods) but I get a max of 2 hours before needing to restart due to that stupid 32 bit limit...

- - - Updated - - -

Aside from the craft that exploded, HyperEdit is probably a quicker option for all the others :)

Yeah, that's what I wound up doing. Edited my save to revive Jeb, and relaunched/Hyperedited all my old craft back into place. I stole some undeserved science off Eli for my trouble. :)

Ok, pushed through the update

v1.6.6 is now live!

-Fixed all normal maps to proper .dds conversion

-Added Arkas support

-Added Urania System support (first draft based off feedback about positioning)

-Removed flightGlobalsIndex numbers

-Added missing Aptur SciDefs

Thanks for the update!

I have no idea what flightGlobalsIndex does so I have to ask if that is a possible fix for the contract system in career mode?

KillAshley, could you post the values or attach a document that contains the information for the bodies, such as their mass, radius, semi-major axis and rotation period/speed? I like to write up spreadsheets containing orbital and physical info regarding planetary bodies, and these values would be invaluable in doing so. Thank you!

very nice \o/

I'm rigging my new wheels for high-speeds so you can cruise 70m/s with time acceleration over aptur or serran thus utilizing their quite flat terrain :)

http://i.imgur.com/22f2o03.png?1

\o/ looks awesome dude! Will be having a go when i can :wink:

as it would be horrible to read 136 pages on that thread, i like to ask questions

-on the description is written outerplanets mod support and some other similar stuff.. that means it is included in the new horizon mod in this build or i have to download and install it additional?

-would it be possible to play in career mode, will there be contracts for all these planets?

>other planet packs aren't included, i simply include patches to ensure that IF you decide to install an additional pack then it will fit nicely into my system (although i cannot say it will be fine adding a tonne of them, as the patches are made with only the individual packs and NH in mind)

>Yes there should be contracts that generate by the stock game, although i heard it can be a little stubborn sometimes :(

Thanks for the update!

I have no idea what flightGlobalsIndex does so I have to ask if that is a possible fix for the contract system in career mode?

tbh I don't know...the flightGlobalsIndex numbers are basically a redundant value on the .cfg's that don't really need to be there anymore as kopernicus generates them at runtime. I have no idea why the game is so temperamental about the contracts...for some they work fine, for some they don't work at all :(

KillAshley, could you post the values or attach a document that contains the information for the bodies, such as their mass, radius, semi-major axis and rotation period/speed? I like to write up spreadsheets containing orbital and physical info regarding planetary bodies, and these values would be invaluable in doing so. Thank you!

As cantab said its all pretty easy to find out yourself, but unfortunately i don't really have enough time to do it myself :(

Those values can all be had from the Kopernicus configs themselves. They're pretty self-explanatory.

I thought about the possibility of those values being in the configs, I just figured it would be too good to be true. Now that I have confirmation that they are, in fact, in the configs, I shall have to scan through them. Thanks, Cantab!

As cantab said its all pretty easy to find out yourself, but unfortunately i don't really have enough time to do it myself :(

No problem, KillAshley. Never-the-less, thanks for the quick response!

EDIT--- I looked in the config files, and I do in fact see values for most of the data that I am seeking, though I don't see a value for mass. Is this because KSP doesn't require that value?

Edited by fallout2077

EDIT--- I looked in the config files, and I do in fact see values for most of the data that I am seeking, though I don't see a value for mass.

KSP uses a gravParameter equation to calculate mass based off GeeASL & radius. Each of the stock planets have them set already so i just leave them...probably should fix them up at some point......

I thought about the possibility of those values being in the configs, I just figured it would be too good to be true. Now that I have confirmation that they are, in fact, in the configs, I shall have to scan through them. Thanks, Cantab!

No problem, KillAshley. Never-the-less, thanks for the quick response!

EDIT--- I looked in the config files, and I do in fact see values for most of the data that I am seeking, though I don't see a value for mass. Is this because KSP doesn't require that value?

There should be a "Logs" folder in your ksp install.

You will find in there a file for each planet

You should find the mass saved there ;)

KSP uses a gravParameter equation to calculate mass based off GeeASL & radius. Each of the stock planets have them set already so i just leave them...probably should fix them up at some point......
I would just be consistent unless you have a good reason to use geeASL on some and mass on others. And I expect putting both mass and geeASL will give ill-defined behaviour.

I would just be consistent unless you have a good reason to use geeASL on some and mass on others. And I expect putting both mass and geeASL will give ill-defined behaviour.

There are three values you can use:

mass, geeASL and gravParameter

They all do the same thing basically.

If you have more than one, mass will take precedence, then geeASL.

gravParameter will work only if it's used on its own

Another issue I notice is that some planets, such as Serran or Arin, have a lot of weird textures. And by that, I mean that there are the low-res color arrangements on the surfaces, being that there are a bunch of squares of different colors.

welcome to KSP! There's only so much detail you can get onto the PQS...even if the resolution on the colormaps are increased the pixelated terrain will still exist, as there's only so much color that can be painted over the terrain. TBH its mainly noticeable because of the contrasting colors of the terrain, so it's either use solid colors for planets or put up with a little distortion :(

Ok, pushed through the update

v1.6.6 is now live!

-Fixed all normal maps to proper .dds conversion

-Added Arkas support

-Added Urania System support (first draft based off feedback about positioning)

-Removed flightGlobalsIndex numbers

-Added missing Aptur SciDefs

Hmm I want to try this so hard. But I think I need to wait for 64bit support. Because I will have to get rid of other mods to run this :(

Hmmm what should I do...

There should be a "Logs" folder in your ksp install.

You will find in there a file for each planet

You should find the mass saved there ;)

There are three values you can use:

mass, geeASL and gravParameter

They all do the same thing basically.

If you have more than one, mass will take precedence, then geeASL.

gravParameter will work only if it's used on its own

I found everything that I need in those logs and from the configs. Thank you for all of the help, my friends!

OK I put another install of KSP just to test this and itis great. Just one thign is dissapointing :( That day/night cycle bug, do you think guys from Kopernicus wil be able to fix this ?

I have only full day or full night :D And one more thing , after I hit around 20 KM the clouds and atmosphere gets dark, it looks like I am in 90+KM alreay but I am only at 20KM so it shoud not be so dark there right ?

OK I put another install of KSP just to test this and itis great. Just one thign is dissapointing :( That day/night cycle bug, do you think guys from Kopernicus wil be able to fix this ?

I have only full day or full night :D And one more thing , after I hit around 20 KM the clouds and atmosphere gets dark, it looks like I am in 90+KM alreay but I am only at 20KM so it shoud not be so dark there right ?

Regarding your full day/night, read the OP to find out how to overcome this. And second, are you using Scatterer? In my games, Scatterer turns the atmosphere just around 20km pretty dark.

Any tips on how I can load this without crashing? Currently I have several other mods, and when loading the game I hang and freeze with the progress bar at the bottom stuck on squad/spaces/podcockpit/internal/podcockpit. When it hits that my memory usage jumps from ~2mb to 2.2mb and ballons up to about 2.6 or 2.7mb and stays that way, until I close it. Without this mod I cap at around 1.5-1.6mb during loading. I'm using ATM.

I'd really love to use this :/

Hmm I want to try this so hard. But I think I need to wait for 64bit support. Because I will have to get rid of other mods to run this :(

Hmmm what should I do...

Community 64 bit workaround! Works great other than the ram usage!~ 8 gb for me

Hey guys, just wanted to pop in here to say that this is an absolutely amazing mod. My poor computer really hates me with all the parts mods I'm running on top of this, but I'm loving the new challenges these new planets bring. I plan on creating a narrative story based off the adventures of my kerbals finding their way around in the new solar system.

One thing I'm curious about is the compatibility with Final Frontier. I plan on following the advice from someone previously in this thread, about using the Planet Factory custom ribbons, and was curious if anyone had attempted the same? Repurposing those ribbons for the planets and moons in this pack looks easy enough, just curious if anyone has advice on setting the prestige levels for given planets during the conversion?

Not sure when I'll start posting up my story up on the forums, I want to get enough content built up before I do. I want to get the ribbons straightened out before I do, and since none of my kerbals have left Kerbin SOI yet, it's a good time to get it patched up before they leave.

Okay, I just got bitten by the Mun-orbit bug in this mod, and I have to say that this is the most fun I've ever gotten from a glitch. :)

Blow-by-blow follows. Normally I don't post this sort of thing because I find it really tedious to read when someone else posts their let-me-tell-you-about-my-game stories, but this was the most fun I've gotten from KSP in a long time.

I had a dinky little probe in munar orbit-- nothing much, basically just a HECS, Oscar tank (half empty), Spark engine, thermometer, antenna, couple of batteries, some OX-STATs. Was one of the earliest ships I launched in the game.

At some point after I hadn't had anything to do with it in a long while, I happened to be in the tracking station going through my ships and-- whoa, what the heck is that? Something was making a high-velocity beeline out of the Sonnah system and was already halfway to the SoI boundary. (It really stuck out because this was before I had launched anything exo-Sonnah yet.) Yes, it was my little munar probe, leaving Sonnah at something like 4 km/second.

I was about to write it off, but then thought, hmm, can I actually go anywhere interesting with it?

...Lave? Jool? Vanor? ...no, none of them anywhere near where they need to be and I really don't have much dV left. Hey, look, there's Titanus, that's not too far off. Why not? So I did a burn (even before leaving Sonnah's SoI) that used up nearly all of my fuel but got me into a Titanus encounter a year or two later. That's when the real fun started.

At this point I only had a bit over 2 units of fuel in my probe, total dV budget around 200 m/s. What can I do with that? How many places can I "count coup" on and return a thermometer reading from?

Well, I found out (to my surprise) that Titanus' atmosphere is very aerobrake-friendly, it simply makes no reentry heat. So after a lot of trial and error (quicksave is your friend) I was able to finesse the probe into a single aerobraking pass that put it in an Ete-crossing elliptical orbit without too much orbital inclination, and the ascending node was out at apoapsis. A little correction burn at Ap to null out the inclination and raise Pe out of Titanus' atmosphere, and I was all set to get Ete.

This means I got: 1. high Titanus space, 2. low Titanus space, 3. upper Titanus atmosphere, 4. flying at Titanus, 5. upper Ete space, 6. lower Ete space. Great, right?

...But then I thought, how far can I milk this? Can I get to Tylo? At this point I had only a few dozen m/s of dV left, so no way to do a direct attempt, but what if I do an Ete gravity slingshot? Well, Ete is teeny-weeny and only gives the very gentlest of nudges. So here began an epic saga of stingy orbital finesse-- figuring out how to give just the right nudge (generally under 10 m/s) at Titanus periapsis so that I can get an Ete gravity assist half-a-dozen orbits later. Do that again. And again. And again.... each time raising Ap just that extra little bit.

And finally I get caught by Tylo (giving me 7. high Tylo space)... and slingshotted right out of the Titanus system. Which (again, with a careful 1 m/s burn a couple of orbits before) headed me right back into the inner solar system on an inclined orbit whose ascending node fell smack on Jool's orbit. Give me a few years, and I'll have another 20 m/s burn to get a Jool / Ike encounter, and we'll see where we can go from there.

Good grief, that was fun. The challenge of being able to go so many places and hit so many targets with vanishingly tiny nudges of dV... got more advanced orbital-mechanics practice in that sequence than in the last year of playing KSP combined. The sheer joy of puzzle-solving was incredible.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks again for a great mod, and I don't mind the Mun bug. :)

Okay, I just got bitten by the Mun-orbit bug in this mod, and I have to say that this is the most fun I've ever gotten from a glitch. :)

Not sure if cheaty... or brilliant and cheeky way to make use of an unexpected situation... xD