[1.3] [Kopernicus] New Horizons v2.0.1 [2JUN17] - It's Back!

KillAshley

21 hours ago, KillAshley said:

possibly because 1.1 isnt out yet? hard to make an update for a version which hasn't been released

you're right, but since some modders are already working with the pre-release I thought New Horizons would follow the same path. Sorry if I sounded

demanding, I really don't want to.I don't want anything except praise you for your great work with this mod

On 3 April 2016 at 1:20 AM, Dombi said:

you're right, but since some modders are already working with the pre-release I thought New Horizons would follow the same path. Sorry if I sounded

demanding, I really don't want to.I don't want anything except praise you for your great work with this mod

Kopernicus is incompatible with 1.1 anyway, so...

16 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

Hmm... @KillAshleyI think of making a trailer for New Horizons, would that keep you 'motivated'? (Or should I wait for any eventual remakes?)

up to you dude, but i can't guarantee how they'll be once i've finished with them. Some might look completely different, only ernus has been finished so far so it's hard to tell....

• 2 weeks later...

So I saw this new mod that came out about an hour ago:

and this part caught my eye:

RADIATION

Celestial bodies can have a magnetosphere that protect Kerbals from radiation, as well as a radiation
  belt: an extreme radiation zone. Cosmic radiation is ever present in the vast distances of space.
  Vessels can be shielded to offer some protection, at the expense of greatly increased mass.

I don't know if that part of the mod will work for planet packs such as this or not, but if a compatibility update would be needed for the radiation belts would you be able to take a look? Because that would be really awesome :D

EDIT: Unless if that sort of thing would have to be on Kerbalism's end, I don't know I'm not a modder so sorry if this is misplaced

Edited by Space Pandas

3 hours ago, Space Pandas said:

So I saw this new mod that came out about an hour ago:

and this part caught my eye:

RADIATION

Celestial bodies can have a magnetosphere that protect Kerbals from radiation, as well as a radiation
  belt: an extreme radiation zone. Cosmic radiation is ever present in the vast distances of space.
  Vessels can be shielded to offer some protection, at the expense of greatly increased mass.

I don't know if that part of the mod will work for planet packs such as this or not, but if a compatibility update would be needed for the radiation belts would you be able to take a look? Because that would be really awesome :D

EDIT: Unless if that sort of thing would have to be on Kerbalism's end, I don't know I'm not a modder so sorry if this is misplaced

very cool dude, thanks. Somehow I missed this mod, I've left a message for the dev about how customizable it is, however in the OP it says it should be compatible off the bat! I'll look into it when NH 2.0 gets closer to completion :wink:

1 hour ago, KillAshley said:

very cool dude, thanks. Somehow I missed this mod, I've left a message for the dev about how customizable it is, however in the OP it says it should be compatible off the bat! I'll look into it when NH 2.0 gets closer to completion :wink:

ooh! I didn't see that!  That's awesome :D

1 hour ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@KillAshley I use an heuristic function based on surface speed, surface gravity and radius (all normalized against the home body) to determine the magnetosphere/belt properties. This assure the home body has a magnetosphere and a belt. Also gas giants all get very strong radiation belts (deadly!). I checked the results against stock and RSS bodies (using the planner) and they are okay-ish: Venus has a smaller magnetopause but stronger magnetic field than Earth, Mars has a weaker one with no belt and most of the moons have no magnetic field at all, for example. There is no configuration unfortunately, but this has the advantage that it support all planet packs and rescale mods automatically.

Looks like you may not be able to tweak the actual radiation part of the mod to better fit NH, but with gas giants having a very strong radiation belt, it sounds like exiting Sonnah could be a very interesting experience :wink:

OK so for everyone interested in the further development of NH

The development of NH 2.0 is underway. While this process could be extremely quick, or extremely slow I cant really say. However while reading what feedback i got about the choices i saw originally, I have decided the best course of action is a complete refit of the planetary bodies. For a long time I have been slowly working on other packs to better my own skills and improve the finished products of what i release. You can see a clear difference in quality if you look at my latest packs; Uncharted Lands, and KASE (links in my sig for those who are unaware), and it's this quality I hope to bring to NH which, since it's beginnings, was a cobbled together pack that has worn my motivation thin for the longest time. My future goal is to update this pack to a sufficient quality that i can actually be proud of.

So after reading my ramblings above you may be concerned about the finished product, and how it will affect your own views on the pack. My main focus is to make the bodies unique, and to stick to the original idea that they embodied. These ideas aren't specifically used currently in NH, but they were the essence of the planets when i made them before adapting them to the pack. I think returning the focus to creating an actual plan to what the body is for will help the process of creating something to change the game for the better Returning to these ideas will also help me create a roadmap for the overhaul and allow me to tailor the worlds to something that not only fits the system better, but provides the beauty and unique aspects i want to bring in.

Original Ideas:

Spoiler
  • Ernus - semi-molten rocky body
  • Moh - deadly, super-heated gas giant
  • Arin - hot desert world
  • Astid - clump of rock in arin's rings
  • Atell - rocky moon
  • Derso - partially destroyed moon
  • Sonnah - main gas giant with an oxygenated atmosphere.
  • Aptur - captured asteroid
  • Serran - dead terrestrial world
  • Lave - frozen planet
  • Eli - rocky moon
  • Leouch - planet split by internal forces
  • Nolas - canyoned ice ball
  • Titanus - frozen super-terra
  • Ete - smooth ball with mountainous ridges
  • Oree - asteroid
  • Vanor - Cold gas giant, the largest in the system
  • Tidus - ice world with central channel
  • Etal - world imploded by own gravity

Goals of update:

Visual overhaul

My main goal for the visual aspect of the update is to bring in the quality of visuals as i mentioned above. The main focus for comparison to help this part is my other pack KASE, which overhauls the stock worlds. The future of NH will match KASE visuals perfectly, so that they may be played together, and provide equal visuals for the world. No longer wil NH have the weird over-the-top super-realism it has (i don't know why i did that tbh).

Terrain overhaul

This aspect will be changing the worlds to actually have not only decent terrain, but terrain that accurately reflects the worlds they are made for. Existing heightmaps are either modified and used, or removed entirely depending on the body. This will change how the planets actually look, especially seeing as how bodies are becoming more unique, but will result in a much better pack at the end of the process.

Balancing the system/De-cluttering

This is a big one. I know most people have the mentality of more planets = better, but I will be focusing on removing the "junk" planets that don't really have any incentive to visit, this might also help with people's wish for additional Sonnah system worlds, as moons could get a little juggle around :) However creating a stable system that allows for the same gameplay will be a major driving force.

Regardless of how the pack releases as 2.0, the older versions will still be available for people, so those who don't want change can still play the (current) 1.x versions.

Anyway thanks for reading, have some sneak-peek dev pics with KASE

@KillAshley Looks amazing so far! Perhaps this will help with the motivating part:

USe5uh2.jpg

Yes, that's the (in?)famous Titanus. This image was made entirely using GIMP. It's not perfect, but hey, it's my two cents. I might do another one later, I think Sonnah & Serran, but that depends on how much time I have.

Edited by The White Guardian

Just a heads up, in case people haven't seen yet, Kopernicus has been updated for 1.1. This doesn't mean necessarily that New Horizons is compatible, but its a very good bet.

Now, I'm about to see how easy it is to play a game with NH, OPM and 6.4 rescale is!

From chat in the Kopernicus thread, it looks like there aren't any known major bugs, apart from that very annoying visual glitch that gets rid of the sky texture in the tracking station, which was a bug anyway. All I would say is that any issues seen now should be reported in the Kopernicus thread, not here.

EDIT:

A game breaking issue has been found with packs that reparent Kerbin. Sorry guys!

Edited by MinimumSky5

11 hours ago, MinimumSky5 said:

A game breaking issue has been found with packs that reparent Kerbin. Sorry guys!

there's no issue with reparenting kerbing other than the KSC view being messed up.

the problem you are talking about only happens if you change the size of kerbin

(it's a bit more complicated than that, this is the easy way to explain the bug)

Lo, @Plecy75, I'm not a moderator, but one of the howdy-doody forum rules requires us to read to see if the question, "has it been updated yet," has been asked and answered. If it has been asked, please don't ask again. Any variations on the theme, such as, "please update," "what's the update ETA," etc. are all the same thing.

That said, an update is being worked on, and some people are testing to see if the current/old NH pack works with the updated Kopernicus. If you'd like to take some risk with a new save and help test it, I'm sure other users would appreciate any useful feedback.

Just want to say, Keep up the good work!  As someone who has put a ton of hours into vanilla KSP New horizons is the only thing that makes the game feel fresh. Unfortunately the last version kept having game breaking bugs so eventually I gave up but it was just to wait for the next versions.

Playing new horizons is like going back in time to when I first started Kerbal and the excitement of dropping into orbit around a new planet with a mothership and landers, not sure if the landers will work on this world, not sure if the mothership will be able to break orbit...but excited to find out.