[1.3] [Kopernicus] New Horizons v2.0.1 [2JUN17] - It's Back!

KillAshley

1 hour ago, KillAshley said:

ill try and summon up the motivation to get this updated asap...I do also have 5 other projects to update too, so looks like its gonna be a fun week! eurgh!

May be less work than you think :) Kerbol plus didn't seem to need changes, I'm running it just fine - though i have yet to actually visit a planet, i'm just looking at them in the tracking station.

I've tried using 64K with New Horizons, and it looks like the textures need altering in some way, as the heightmaps load but the colour maps don't, all the NH planets appear a sickly yellow. The cloud layers need looking at as well, as they just aren't loading.

Edited by MinimumSky5

Waiting to play 1.1 until NH 2.0 arrives.

I'm ~ 1000 hours into KSP. I know where all the biomes on the Mun and Minmus are without having to scan anything, I've built colonies all over, I've done Jool with tier 1 tech in Career mode. I love the game but the regular Kerbol system has nothing else for me.

NH is exactly what it's named - it's a whole new take on KSP and while I've got about 30 mods in CKan loaded and ready to go they're there to add to my exploration of NH. I played NH in 1.0.5 but it came down to either leaving out 'quality of life' mods I really love or buying the Unix version and playing the game off a thumb drive... so I decided to wait for the 64bit version to be fully stable.

So KillAshley if you're powered by props know that your mods are literally the only reason I'm really excited to play KSP again. Going to start with New Horizons, crawl into every nook and cranny and corner until I can make most transfers from memory and then I'll start on Uncharted, then swing back to Kerbol Plus Remake. That's probably another 500+ hours by which time I'll start over with KASE and when that's done I'll reinstall everything, grab a good interplanetary drive mod and start into Galactic Neighborhood.

So thank you for the huge time investment you've done but don't forget that you're essentially refreshing KSP as a game. Regular mods, ships, parts, science, they're all great. Tons of fun. I can't play without the full USI suite of mods anymore, and EPL and several others. However once you've figured out how to do return missions to Eve, set up large self-sustaining colonies on Laythe, mined Karborundum from Eeloo until every ship can run a torch drive there's nothing new to do in the stock Kerbol system.

Not trying to rush, no pressure in that way but know it's hugely appreciated and for many of us you're making the game what we are excited to play even after a crazy amount of playtime. Worth waiting for.

Edited by Mischief

Just to clarify things here.

I'm stubborn and trying to play NH on my 1.1 (with kopernicus updated). Game crashes every 5 to 10 minutes (access violation trying to read something). Is this your regular game crashing bug for those of you who have tried the same thing or am I dealing with something else here?

Cheers

First, I anxiously await the 1.1 release.

second, i recently discovered that the old kerbal dust experiment still works in 1.1, and made a few science definitions for it. would you want me to send them to you?

5 hours ago, Dombi said:

Just to clarify things here.

I'm stubborn and trying to play NH on my 1.1 (with kopernicus updated). Game crashes every 5 to 10 minutes (access violation trying to read something). Is this your regular game crashing bug for those of you who have tried the same thing or am I dealing with something else here?

Cheers

I installed this earlier today and ran it for roughly thirty minutes, with a six-minute flight test. I haven't experienced any crashes Kerbin-side, but if I encounter one via Sonnah or beyond, I'll let you know.

Check your crash report, and check to see if you're running 64-bit. 64-bit will improve your memory load immensely.

12 hours ago, Ohm Machre said:

I installed this earlier today and ran it for roughly thirty minutes, with a six-minute flight test. I haven't experienced any crashes Kerbin-side, but if I encounter one via Sonnah or beyond, I'll let you know.

Check your crash report, and check to see if you're running 64-bit. 64-bit will improve your memory load immensely.

Yup it is. I deleted every mod besides kopernicus and NH and it didn't even last for 5 minutes. Will try now a fresh install with no mods to see if the problem still persists but this wasn't hapenning before trying NH

5 hours ago, Dombi said:

Yup it is. I deleted every mod besides kopernicus and NH and it didn't even last for 5 minutes. Will try now a fresh install with no mods to see if the problem still persists but this wasn't hapenning before trying NH

And you're sure you have the latest version of Kopernicus?

I'm trying to rack my brain as to how my system works and yours doesn't. >.>

@Dombi @Ohm Machre I've been having lots of mod-related crashes in 1.1, no stock crashes surprisingly. In Prerelease, deleting Physics.cfg fixed the first problems I was having. For Steam 1.1 release, "verifying integrity of game cache" fixed the second.

I'm currently having crashing issues that are definitely tied to KW Rocketry Redux (in VAB), might be an interaction with Editor Extensions Redux (redux all the things!).

If it's not those things, it might be worth playing another game for a couple more weeks (I might try to push it to a month!) and come back when everything is shiny and updated :D I wouldn't be surprised if New Horizons updates in pieces such that it won't be in a stable state for quite a while, but that's up to Kill Ashley's caffeine addiction and artistic lunacy :)

@troyfawkes, yeah, I hear what you're saying. I occasionally get some editor crashes, but I don't have Editor Extensions. I just think it is a slight bug/quirk in 1.1 currently, but it's not enough to stop me playing the game.

And hey, my NewHorizons works, so I don't have to worry about that at least, heh.

For those having issues atm: sry to hear it, however unfortunately I won't be updating NH until v2.0 is completed. I'd say atm it's about 40% done, and I also have 4 other packs that need updating too :(

Anyway for those that are crashing, if you don't want to start a NH career until the update is complete, then perhaps having a look at my other pack Uncharted Lands could pass the time, as I just finished it's 1.1 update.

While we wait for New Horizons 2.0 I went ahead and updated the old EVE files so that they work for EVE in its current release. I don't know if this has already been done elsewhere if it has I would love to know where as this is just a basic patch that I threw together without any understanding of how EVE works. NH_CustomEVE I learned a lot while doing it but I can't say that it's anything special just me trying to put what was in the original configs in the new system.

Definitely it is a problem with NH. Uncharted Lands is running pretty neat for me =)

I know nothing, but I would say that NH seems to reduce memory usage limit and crash between 2000 and 3000 Mb of memory usage. The error seems to be similar to the errors we would get pre 1.1 with memory crashes.

I will stay with uncharted lands while waiting for NH.

On 27 April 2016 at 5:33 AM, Skyfligher said:

While we wait for New Horizons 2.0 I went ahead and updated the old EVE files so that they work for EVE in its current release. I don't know if this has already been done elsewhere if it has I would love to know where as this is just a basic patch that I threw together without any understanding of how EVE works. NH_CustomEVE I learned a lot while doing it but I can't say that it's anything special just me trying to put what was in the original configs in the new system.

Unless KillAshley has updated the pack, I'm fairly certain that Ernus shouldn't have clouds! Eeloo and Vall also have cloud layers, and several planets have two cloud layers, one white and one matching the planets orbit colour.

Once I'm finished with my finals in 10 days or so I'm going to sit down and work on the configs for the clouds, as for the gas giants I am still looking into how you actually get the cloud layers on them. It seems to have some serious errors when I try.

32 minutes ago, Skyfligher said:

Once I'm finished with my finals in 10 days or so I'm going to sit down and work on the configs for the clouds, as for the gas giants I am still looking into how you actually get the cloud layers on them. It seems to have some serious errors when I try.

Gas giants require an additioinal PQS config. Create a .cfg file named 'PQS' and add the following lines:

PQS_MANAGER
{
	OBJECT
	{
		body = [NAME OF GAS GIANT 1]
		deactivateDistance = 175000
	}
	OBJECT
	{
		body = [NAME OF GAS GIANT 2]
	}
	OBJECT
	{
		body = [NAME OF GAS GIANT 3]
	}
}

You can add as many OBJECT parts as you like, each of them for a specific gas giant. All you have to do is fill in the name of the gas giant you're making clouds for.

In a fit of utter boredom, I went and made configs that turn minmus and kerbin from Uncharted lands into additional worlds circling around Sonnah. Yes, I am that bored. I'm not moving to 1.1 till there's a New Horizons mod for it!