[1.3] [Kopernicus] New Horizons v2.0.1 [2JUN17] - It's Back!

KillAshley

Breaking News!

One of our deep space observation drones has slipped deep into the gravity well of a far out world. This unusual planet seems to be a super-terra, an incredibly dense planet with a thick atmosphere. While preliminary analysis shows a thick oxygen-rich atmosphere, it appears that the temperature at the planets surface would be far too cold to sustain any viable life. Politicians have already begun discussing plans on the viability of a surface colony, seemingly unaware of the crushing pressure generated not only by it's incredibly thick atmosphere, but by it's surface gravity which appears to be over twice as strong as our homeworld. While the probe itself is preparing for it's descent into the body's ring system to run experiments about it's composition, initial observations already spot at least one shepherding moon in it's outer layers. The body itself only has one noticeable moon, however KSC scientists argue that there could be more that are simply too small to detect with the on-board sensors. As always, more information will become available once the glorious KSC finishes it's experiments.

Spoiler

SKgJfOO.png

On 08/05/2016 at 5:50 AM, KillAshley said:

OK so before the situation goes further, yes sub-satellites are possible, but they are very VERY rare as the orbits they have would be inherently unstable. I was given the suggestion for a sub satellite over a year ago during the first few months of NH's creation, however it's something that i wont do given it's instability. The compromise i made was to create a "new Minmus" and have it relatively easy to get to, which is how Aptur came to be. Although I will be juggling things around to create a more stable structure to the system, adding a moon to Kerbin, or considering any other sub-satellite idea, isn't on the agenda.

Also in regards to the suggestion by @Therlun about the "normal start" principle, this has been asked for in the past and I have always said no, as the main challenge for NH was the starting point, and having to re-balance everything to adjust for a normal Kerbin start position is more work than I'm willing to do :P

Also one more thing;

Breaking News!

While coming into the gravity well of Jool, one of the KSC's prize probes spotted a glimpse of one of the more unusual moons of Jool. It has been reported by scientists all over Kerbin that this newly-discovered moon would be made up of almost pure ice with a lot of impurities the further down into the terrain you go. Although Scientists are unsure of the composition of the subterranean chemicals present in the moon, as the probe was only able to get a distant, passing glimpse, they are only certain of one thing; it's pink color is VERY pleasing to the eye. While current information is till very limited due to the distance at which the probe passed the moon, it appears that would resemble deep tectonic cracks run across it's surface. Scientists hypothesize that these cracks are not from internal planetary activity, but merely crevasses formed due to the constant melting and movement of it's glacier-like surface.

Hide contents

rMVU9tq.png

Aaaaaaawwwww yyyeeeeaaaahhh EUROPA CONFIRMED!!! 

Also, the top of the forum says NH is compatible with Outer Planets Mod. How exactly dose the solar system look with both mods installed? Also, is it possible to increase the amount of Science I can get from the Sonnah system? I tried to fix the multipliers and it didn't change the game. In my opinion that is the only feature of this mod I don't like. And thank you for Aptur, that really made my early game experience much better

Try it and see. IIRC it's much the same but bigger, with Sarnus being put beyond Vanor. (I made my own config that puts Sarnus as a trojan of Vanor, to get it away from Kerbol Plus's Sarin and make my wild system more fun.) EDIT: Eeloo stays as its own planet in NH+OPM, which means one fewer moon for Sarnus.

Edited by cantab

3 hours ago, cantab said:

Try it and see. IIRC it's much the same but bigger, with Sarnus being put beyond Vanor. (I made my own config that puts Sarnus as a trojan of Vanor, to get it away from Kerbol Plus's Sarin and make my wild system more fun.) EDIT: Eeloo stays as its own planet in NH+OPM, which means one fewer moon for Sarnus.

I've been trying to modify NH configs forever, but when I do and launch KSP it finished the loading bar, goes to the plain black loading screen and stays there. I wanted to move Vanor closer to titanus and put all of the OPM planets closer, along with changing the science multipliers

On 08/05/2016 at 10:04 PM, cantab said:

Known Kopernicus bug. Workaround is to load up the game and go straight into the Tracking Station and Science Archives. The archives get broken when you go into another scene, such as the VAB or the Tracking Station, and then back to the Space Centre screen.

How do I go to the tracking station and the science archives without leaving screens? And theoretically sub-satellites are possible, but they require a large planet, really far away from the sun, and a large moon, really far away from the planet. This way the planet acts like a surrogate sun. When you think about it, the sun orbits the Srgt A* black hole, and we orbit the sun, and the moon orbits us. When you make the sun a planet and the black hole a star, the moon is a sub satellite. The reason this can exist is because the influence of Srgt A* is virtually non existant. These conditions are extremely finicky, and require exceptional circumstances, so in reality it never really happens   

6 hours ago, BashGordon33 said:

I've been trying to modify NH configs forever, but when I do and launch KSP it finished the loading bar, goes to the plain black loading screen and stays there. I wanted to move Vanor closer to titanus and put all of the OPM planets closer, along with changing the science multipliers

The first time you load KSP with any new planet packs, there'll be a pause during loading because Kopernicus does some stuff, and then saves cache files so it doesn't have to do it again. Maybe 5 mins on a slow PC.

If that's not the problem, then I don't know what is. Here's an example of one of my configs, to make Sarnus a Vanor trojan.

@Kopernicus:AFTER[New_Horizons]:NEEDS[OPM]
{
	@Body[Sarnus]
	{
		@Orbit
		{
			@inclination = 9.1
			@eccentricity = 0.101
			@semiMajorAxis = 301846876551
			@longitudeOfAscendingNode = 110
			@argumentOfPeriapsis = 124
			@meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 2.0472
			@epoch = 2000
		}
	}
}

Note that I apply it AFTER[New_Horizons] and it NEEDS[OPM]. The needs line isn't so important for personal use though.

Watch out for other patches getting applied after yours and overriding your configs! Sometimes you'll need FINAL to ensure your patch is applied last and takes effect. Here's my patch for using New Horizons, OPM, and Trans-Keptunian. Putto is positioned as an "anti-Plock" just like Orcus in the real world, and the others have their orbits pushed out.

@Kopernicus:FINAL:NEEDS[New_Horizons,Trans-Keptunian,OPM]
{
    @Body[Putto]
    {
        @Orbit
        {
			@inclination = 16.15
			@semiMajorAxis = 935833706086
			@longitudeOfAscendingNode = 340
			@argumentOfPeriapsis = 50
        }
    }
    @Body[Arane]
    {
        @Orbit
        {
			@semiMajorAxis = 1089554285957
        }
    }
    @Body[Oorma]
    {
        @Orbit
        {
			@semiMajorAxis = 1029990621355
        }
	}
    @Body[Flo]
    {
        @Orbit
        {
			@semiMajorAxis = 1619626397014
        }
    }
}

Both patches http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/ and derivative works of New Horizons, OPM, and Trans-Kep.

I'm just here to add my voice to the chorus of those who eagerly await the return of New Horizons. The teaser pictures already look great, and I can't wait to see the full pack.

Or well, no, I can wait. I'm actually willing to put off starting my 1.1.x career for this :) I hope my little addition to your tip jar gives you the motivation to make it extra awesome.

On 15/05/2016 at 0:54 PM, BashGordon33 said:

are you running on 1.1.x? the current version for NH is made for 1.0.5 so it might be buggy until i release the update

On 15/05/2016 at 0:52 AM, ownagecubed said:

I really like this planet pack. I am having a lot of fun playing around with the new planets.

well then start looking forward to the update where they will not only look better, but be more interesting too :wink:

16 hours ago, Streetwind said:

I'm just here to add my voice to the chorus of those who eagerly await the return of New Horizons. The teaser pictures already look great, and I can't wait to see the full pack.

Or well, no, I can wait. I'm actually willing to put off starting my 1.1.x career for this :) I hope my little addition to your tip jar gives you the motivation to make it extra awesome.

yeah sorry for making you guys wait longer lol, the tip jar does give me a good poke to get back to work too :wink: been kinda caught up playing Stellaris lately, but i digress.....BACK TO WORK!

well time for another tease then!

Breaking News!

Local observational probes sent throughout our parental system have sent back this preliminary observation of one of our most mythological neighbours. Legends of old paint Serran in a more glamorous light, however the truth is that this world has been long dead. Large crystalline areas of land containing a thick layer of ground salts show that while the planet is dead now, a thriving ecosystem used to exist with large oceans surrounding continents just like Kerbin. Many artisans like to paint what Serran used to be like when it was life-bearing, and the majority of them paint blue vegetation across the planet. It is unknown why they chose this specific color. One thing for sure is that despite it's current situation, the body seems to hold a rudimentary oxygen atmosphere, breathable by Kerbal-kind, however the pressure is too low for extended exposure. Despite this however, talks are already underway about settling colonies in the not-too-distant future.

Spoiler

apyMCuj.png

23 hours ago, Kepler68 said:

#HYPE 

about what percent are you through the update, can't wait for this :D:D:D 

im well over half way, tbh...thats all i can honestly say at this point. Hopefully i can get it finished soon, i want it out as much as you guys lol. Currently i only have 3 more planets to overhaul, then it's just tidying up; getting the PQS transition perfect, making sure ground textures are stable, making sure everything is as it should be....then i need to adjust a few orbits and rebuild the system a little better - ive never like how inner gas giants got bigger moons that the furthest one.

I'm hoping i can get it done by next week at this point, however i have a tendency to get distracted easily :P

13 minutes ago, KillAshley said:

I'm hoping i can get it done by next week at this point, however i have a tendency to get distracted easily :P

Wow, impressive! I doubt I'll even get to dres in my uncharted lands career before then. That's ok, it's what multiple installs are for!

On 5/18/2016 at 3:42 PM, KillAshley said:

im well over half way, tbh...thats all i can honestly say at this point. Hopefully i can get it finished soon, i want it out as much as you guys lol. Currently i only have 3 more planets to overhaul, then it's just tidying up; getting the PQS transition perfect, making sure ground textures are stable, making sure everything is as it should be....then i need to adjust a few orbits and rebuild the system a little better - ive never like how inner gas giants got bigger moons that the furthest one.

way cool man.  and as for stellaris, I've lost way too many hours to it in the last week.

I assume that surface terrain is going to change, and therefore anything landed might go klablooey (but hopefully nothing Hyperedit can't fix). But are you planning on changing gross properties as well then - mass, radius, atmo curve, orbit, etc? If so then ugh, I'm gonna have to redesign a bunch of stuff, or else not upgrade.

Edited by cantab

Well, the old New Horizons (old new? heh) didn't change the stock planet surfaces much, as far as I understood it. It only changed the orbits and locations of the stock celestial bodies, and added a whole slew of new ones. I may be wrong, of course...

KillAshley also has another mod, Uncharted Lands - that one massively changes the stock planet surfaces.

19 hours ago, cantab said:

I assume that surface terrain is going to change, and therefore anything landed might go klablooey (but hopefully nothing Hyperedit can't fix). But are you planning on changing gross properties as well then - mass, radius, atmo curve, orbit, etc? If so then ugh, I'm gonna have to redesign a bunch of stuff, or else not upgrade.

11 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Well, the old New Horizons (old new? heh) didn't change the stock planet surfaces much, as far as I understood it. It only changed the orbits and locations of the stock celestial bodies, and added a whole slew of new ones. I may be wrong, of course...

KillAshley also has another mod, Uncharted Lands - that one massively changes the stock planet surfaces.

complete overhaul tbh, stock planets are still stock, however for my planets im going back to the original ideas for how the planets should look and re-making them to fit the idea and visual goals. I'm going to be reworking them to the same standard as my KASE pack, so they can be played side-by-side. Size and mass will be staying the same for MOST bodies, however some of the smallest bodies (astid, ete, oree, etc....) have been made from scratch, so they will be completely different (I'm super happy with Ete ^o^ )

hopefully theres nothing a little hyperedit can't fix for the players, however it will break everyones game in that regards :P

Edited by KillAshley

10 hours ago, Streetwind said:

I see.

What does that mean in terms of replacing planet textures? Because I must admit that the ultra high res textures from KSPRC do make me drool a little... :wink:

Well i like them in a slightly different light to it really, I prefer the more stock-realistic look instead of the full realism that KSPRC does. Love KSPRC though, cant say that enough! but I work on making planets look the best they can with only kopernicus, and I get pretty awesome results. For a long time I've focused on purely stock features only for planets (although i basically ignored NH) even going so far as to only use ground textures found in the assets, trying to make it look great without scatterer, without EVE, without anything else. If you check out KASE in my sig you'll see what I mean by the look NH2 will have.