[1.3] [Kopernicus] New Horizons v2.0.1 [2JUN17] - It's Back!

KillAshley

A small probe sent by the glorious KSC has recently completed it's maneuvers around the infamous Vanor system on the outskirts of the system. Coming into close fly-by of several of Vanor's moons, close up imagery was received in a data dump early this morning. While a lot of shots are distorted two images stood above the rest. One showcasing Etal, a large, extremely dense moon with it unusually deformed surface. It is believed that the surface actually collapsed into itself under Etal's immense gravitational pull.

Spoiler

SbbZhqt.png

Another shot showcases another unique moon of Vanor, Tidus is know for it's large equatorial moon, liquid only from the immense gravitational forces exerted onto it by it's parent. While the liquid itself has scientists all over intrigued, the rest of the surface appears to be a barren, icy wasteland, and is thus unworthy of any real study according to the KSC

Spoiler

MRAzhs4.png

24 minutes ago, KillAshley said:

A small probe sent by the glorious KSC has recently completed it's maneuvers around the infamous Vanor system on the outskirts of the system. Coming into close fly-by of several of Vanor's moons, close up imagery was received in a data dump early this morning. While a lot of shots are distorted two images stood above the rest. One showcasing Etal, a large, extremely dense moon with it unusually deformed surface. It is believed that the surface actually collapsed into itself under Etal's immense gravitational pull.

Hide contents

SbbZhqt.png

Another shot showcases another unique moon of Vanor, Tidus is know for it's large equatorial moon, liquid only from the immense gravitational forces exerted onto it by it's parent. While the liquid itself has scientists all over intrigued, the rest of the surface appears to be a barren, icy wasteland, and is thus unworthy of any real study according to the KSC

Hide contents

MRAzhs4.png

Tidus Ice sheets are a tiny bit too small in my opinion. Still awesome work.

12 hours ago, KillAshley said:

Well i like them in a slightly different light to it really, I prefer the more stock-realistic look instead of the full realism that KSPRC does. Love KSPRC though, cant say that enough! but I work on making planets look the best they can with only kopernicus, and I get pretty awesome results. For a long time I've focused on purely stock features only for planets (although i basically ignored NH) even going so far as to only use ground textures found in the assets, trying to make it look great without scatterer, without EVE, without anything else. If you check out KASE in my sig you'll see what I mean by the look NH2 will have.

Ah, but you see - the thing that draws me to KSPRC textures is not how realistic they look, but rather their resolution.

Stock Kerbin has a texture that looks agreeable enough from high orbit, but in low orbit or especially during reentry, it disintegrates into an awful heap of pixel mud. Especially coastlines. And Kerbin has a lot of coastline, even island chains and fractured coasts that end up looking like graphics glitches instead of terrain features. It's my biggest pet peeve about the stock graphics. When I look for replacement textures, I do it almost exclusively to avoid that particular behavior.

As such, I totally don't mind if you're not going for a hyper-realistic style. That's no problem at all :) I just want a texture resolution that survives reentry!

Edited by Streetwind

7 hours ago, Kepler68 said:

That means one planet left!!! (And pqs fixing and such but still!!!)

well technically 2, however I'm leaving one out until I come up with a better way to do what i need to do with it.

4 hours ago, Connor1234567821 said:

Yess! I cant wait for NH to be 1.1  I have been waiting for ever to go back to Serran cause it was always so cool and kind of easy but hard to get too, I might make a base on Serran one day even :D 

Well prepare to be disappointed! lol Serran looks how i originally envisioned the planet, before it became a giant blue marble - it's now a dead world. Although i think i a little spicing up the colors a little is still needed.....

11 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Ah, but you see - the thing that draws me to KSPRC textures is not how realistic they look, but rather their resolution.

Stock Kerbin has a texture that looks agreeable enough from high orbit, but in low orbit or especially during reentry, it disintegrates into an awful heap of pixel mud. Especially coastlines. And Kerbin has a lot of coastline, even island chains and fractured coasts that end up looking like graphics glitches instead of terrain features. It's my biggest pet peeve about the stock graphics. When I look for replacement textures, I do it almost exclusively to avoid that particular behavior.

As such, I totally don't mind if you're not going for a hyper-realistic style. That's no problem at all :) I just want a texture resolution that survives reentry!

Well don't worry, i know exactly what you mean now. This is something that I always work hard at fixing in my newer packs, like UL & KASE. The scaledspace transition in stock is utter BS, but my ones work as they should, even though I'm NEVER 100% happy with them....but thats just the perfectionist in me talking. Unfortunately theres some give-and-take with coastlines, as the ocean PQS is a little picky about how it exports, and can make coasts a little off, but there should be a near perfect transition if I do it right :wink:

I will run a pass over with KSPRC to make sure those who want to use that can still do so too :P

Does Serran still have an atmosphere? Because it is part of the reason I loved going to Serran.

I loved just dropping in and deploying parachutes, and seeing Sonnah rise over that thin bluish glow of the atmosphere from the surface. All part of why it's my favorite Sonnah moon to go to. Actually, the atmosphere is the whole reason I love going to Serran.

Edited by FunnelVortex

9 hours ago, Connor1234567821 said:

Awww :( I hope it still has an atmosphere like in 1.0.5 because I always thought It was kinda cool to have a moon near by which you can land on via parachutes :l 

7 hours ago, FunnelVortex said:

Does Serran still have an atmosphere? Because it is part of the reason I loved going to Serran.

I loved just dropping in and deploying parachutes, and seeing Sonnah rise over that thin bluish glow of the atmosphere from the surface. All part of why it's my favorite Sonnah moon to go to. Actually, the atmosphere is the whole reason I love going to Serran.

yeah it still has an oxygenated atmosphere :wink:

14 hours ago, KillAshley said:

well technically 2, however I'm leaving one out until I come up with a better way to do what i need to do with it.

Which one is being left out? And will it just be its normal self or not be in the next version.

I'd suggest leaving the previous version in, to reduce the chances of messing with the saves since adding or removing planets often throws the body IDs out. I've gotten used to editing the save file to resolve that but not everyone will have.

6 hours ago, Kepler68 said:

Which one is being left out? And will it just be its normal self or not be in the next version.

5 hours ago, cantab said:

I'd suggest leaving the previous version in, to reduce the chances of messing with the saves since adding or removing planets often throws the body IDs out. I've gotten used to editing the save file to resolve that but not everyone will have.

well so far Ernus & Derso are proving to be a pain in the ass to get correct...seems everything i do to them just doesn't work well enough for me to continue. I'm still working on them though, I know how frustrating it will be to players if they are left out, but I'm hoping i can find some inspiration soon lol, apart from those bodies almost everything else is complete.

5 hours ago, SFCGunny313 said:

I do believe I'll give this a try out once updated and released on CKAN

thanks!

Glad to see Serran still has an atmosphere :wink:

Every time I see you post an update on a new planet I get HYPED!

And as for Ernus and Derso, you can always come back to them in a later update if they are too frustrating ATM. But anyways, continue to take your time since New Horizons is the best planet pack ever, and should always remain good quality.

And are you planning on adding Scatterer support and EVE configs? Because that would be pretty nice! 

4 minutes ago, FunnelVortex said:

Glad to see Serran still has an atmosphere :wink:

Every time I see you post an update on a new planet I get HYPED!

And as for Ernus and Derso, you can always come back to them in a later update if they are too frustrating ATM. But anyways, continue to take your time since New Horizons is the best planet pack ever, and should always remain good quality.

And are you planning on adding Scatterer support and EVE configs? Because that would be pretty nice! 

KillHashley gave me his blessing a couple of months ago to create a Eve/Scatterer config for OPM. I'm waiting the new release to finish and release the job.

1 minute ago, Nansuchao said:

KillHashley gave me his blessing a couple of months ago to create a Eve/Scatterer config for OPM. I'm waiting the new release to finish and release the job.

Alright, that sounds great! :D

I will be patiently waiting for both you guys! :)

THE HYPE IS REAL THE HYPE IS REAL!!! So excited for New Horizons! I'm probably going to have to spend a few days getting the config mods I made right. The teasers you made look beautiful and prime exploration targets, just waiting for me to send 7 landers before actually landing (damn it titanus, why you so hard to land on) but that's the fun of all the new creating and innovating I have to do to get NH working

6 hours ago, FunnelVortex said:

And I just need to put both packs in the folder. I do not need to alter any configs or anything, correct?

according to the OP the packs are supported separately so there may be some issues, however I know OPM only adds stuff beyond vanor so if kerbol plus is all within that orbit it should be fine

EDIT: kerbol plus isn't in the list of supported packs at all so what I would do is use hyperedit to find good orbits then copy the values from hyperedit into the objects .cfg file.

Edited by Kepler68

6 hours ago, FunnelVortex said:

And I just need to put both packs in the folder. I do not need to alter any configs or anything, correct?

When NH and OPM is downloaded at the same time, NH sends all the OPM planets far away beyond the orbits of all the NH planets. I personally modified the configs to make the OPM planets closer to the sun, put Eeloo back into its Sanurus orbit. You dont have to do this, (If you do move Eeloo also move minmus because minmus will orbit Eeloo while it orbits Sanurus

Edited by BashGordon33

Kerbol Plus Remade is supported by New Horizons, and seems to play well alongside OPM though I haven't thoroughly checked for SOI clashes. Kerbal Origins (formerly Kerbol Plus) is not.

Asclepius supports New Horizons too, the config for that being distributed with Asclepius and putting that world opposite Laythe.