[1.3] [Kopernicus] New Horizons v2.0.1 [2JUN17] - It's Back!

KillAshley

7 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

I'm playing KSP 1.1.3 x64 with NH 2.0.0 and Kopernicus 1.1.2.  Kopernicus is for KSP 1.1.3 and NH is for 1.1.2 (I know, confusing version numbers for Kopernicus).  NH is the only Kopernicus-related thing I have in this game.

My problem is that my stuff in orbit around Kerbin won't hold still.  Everything's Pe decreases and its Ap increases.  ... [snip]

From 1.1.3 patchnotes:

Greatly reduce Apoapsis/Periapsis changing with no input, with thanks to ferram4 and eggrobin. option is toggleable in Settings->Gameplay and tunable in Physics.cfg.

I think I saw somewhere on forum someone complaining about orbits changing on their own in 1.1.3, and some Squad member responded that this new option is toggleable because it changes one bug into another bug (or something like that).

Have you tried switching it?

(Just random thought, haven't played 1.1.3 yet)

----------------------------

Edit:

I managed to achieve decaying Kerbin orbit by accident. KSP 1.1.2, NH 2 up to date, heck lot of mods.

After aerocapture I got into ~55km x ~2.500km, I was still at 4x physics warp and orbit kept decaying after I left atmosphere. After disabling warp it kept decaying at same rate (25%  effect of 4x warp effect). Standard warp killed this phantom force, but switching warp (both types) on caused change in PE/AP by few dozen meters (however it seemed to keep same values).

Can warp on active vessel cause similar issue on inactive ones?

Edited by PT

4 hours ago, PT said:

From 1.1.3 patchnotes:

Greatly reduce Apoapsis/Periapsis changing with no input, with thanks to ferram4 and eggrobin. option is toggleable in Settings->Gameplay and tunable in Physics.cfg.

In stock KSP 1.1.3, orbital decay no longer happens with the default setting.  Or at least, it's no worse than it's been at any point in time except for 1.1.2.  IOW, if you put something on rails, its orbit won't change as long as it's on rails, although it WILL change somewhat when you take it off rails.  So bottom line, in stock 1.1.3, orbital decay is no longer an issue, space stations last forever, etc.

The issue is when using KSP 1.1.3, with Kopernicus for KSP 1.1.3, but NH for KPS 1.1.2.  Then you have serious orbital decay, far worse than stock KSP 1.1.2 ever was.

4 hours ago, PT said:

Can warp on active vessel cause similar issue on inactive ones?

In stock KSP 1.1.3, the orbit will change somewhat for the active vessel due to floating point errors and such, but not enough to make a difference.  So if you're still using antiquated Kethane and have to keep the scanning probe active for weeks, warping as fast as you can and still get a good scan, you really won't be able to tell.  And as mentioned above, if the ship is on rails, it won't change at all.

My issue with NH is with on-rails ships having serious orbital changes in very short time intervals.  IOW, put something in orbit, go into VAB and design something to dock with it, and when you get ready to launch the new ship, the 1st ship is not where you left it.

@Geschosskopf @cantabThis is the bug I described earlier. It seems to be a problem with re-parenting Kerbin. Its a Kopernicus bug unique to the latest few versions. I found a work around that I posted earlier, but I'll repost it here for convenience:

Spoiler

Make a save. Copy and paste the persistent file from the save folder you normally play and paste it in the new save, replacing the persistent in the new save. Play this save folder as soon as you open KSP. The orbits will be messed up, but you have 2 saves so it doesn't matter. You must go to the tracking station when you open the copy save. Then exit and play your regular save as normal. The bug only affects the first save you open, and only affects it once, per every game launch. It's an easy but annoying workaround. 

Just follow these instructions and the bug shouldn't effect your good save.

So I took it on myself to do a spot of digging.

Started with a clean Steam-verified copy of KSP 1.1.3 on Linux. Added Kopernicus 1.1.3-1, New Horizons 2.0, and Hyperedit 1.5.2.1.

On first load of KSP (64-bit version), changed resolution and music volume. No other setting changes were made.

Started a new Sandbox save and Hyperedited two copies of the Orbiter 1A into 100 km Kerbin and Mun orbits.

Immediately reproduced the orbit shift bug on game restart and save reload.

Now for fiddling around mode. In all tests I used a clean save each time.

Disabling "orbit drift compensation": Does not help.

Commenting out the SOI definition in the New Horizons Kerbin.cfg: Does not help.

Removing all New Horizons planet configs except for Sonnah, Kerbin, Mun, and Minmus: Does not help

(Restored full New Horizons config) Changed Kerbin to orbit Jool: Does not help :(

Removed New Horizons altogether. Added a custom Kopernicus patch that just moves Kerbin to orbit Jool: Still the same bug.

So at this point it looks like a general bug with recent Kopernicus when reparenting Kerbin.

I looked at my persistent files and it seems that on launching the game, the ships are orbiting the body Kerbin is orbiting, instead of Kerbin itself. The reference body in the Persistent files for my ships was '36' indicating a Sonnah orbit not Kerbin orbit. The game then quickly puts the ships back into Kerbin SOI, but by then they have moved from their original orbits because they were orbiting Sonnah for around 2 seconds. I don't know enough coding to attempt this, but it *might* be possible to have Sonnah orbit Kerbin, so that relative to Sonnah the orbits remain the same? Sonnah's moons will still orbit Sonnah, but because Kerbin orbits the Sun and not Sonnah, the re-parenting bug might not occur. I actually tried this, It screwed up all my ships orbits, due to some SOI issues and Kerbin's relative 'orbit' around Sonnah was way to slow. Also: I tried putting Kerbin and Sonnah in a binary system using Sigma Binary, and the bug didn't occur. It might be possible to fool this program into generating the Barycentre of both planets well inside Sonnah? 

EDIT: I'm a Kopernicus Newb so I don't really know how to actually execute any of the workarounds I attempted correctly, so I'm leaving them here for a person way more talented than me to attempt

Edited by BashGordon33

5 minutes ago, BashGordon33 said:

I looked at my persistent files and it seems that on launching the game, the ships are orbiting the body Kerbin is orbiting, instead of Kerbin itself. The reference body in the Persistent files for my ships was '36' indicating a Sonnah orbit not Kerbin orbit.

Does that occur for ships on non-Kerbin orbit as well (eg, Serran or any other moon?)

33 minutes ago, BashGordon33 said:

I looked at my persistent files and it seems that on launching the game, the ships are orbiting the body Kerbin is orbiting, instead of Kerbin itself. The reference body in the Persistent files for my ships was '36' indicating a Sonnah orbit not Kerbin orbit. The game then quickly puts the ships back into Kerbin SOI, but by then they have moved from their original orbits because they were orbiting Sonnah for around 2 seconds. I don't know enough coding to attempt this, but it *might* be possible to have Sonnah orbit Kerbin, so that relative to Sonnah the orbits remain the same? Sonnah's moons will still orbit Sonnah, but because Kerbin orbits the Sun and not Sonnah, the re-parenting bug might not occur. I actually tried this, It screwed up all my ships orbits, due to some SOI issues and Kerbin's relative 'orbit' around Sonnah was way to slow. Also: I tried putting Kerbin and Sonnah in a binary system using Sigma Binary, and the bug didn't occur. It might be possible to fool this program into generating the Barycentre of both planets well inside Sonnah? 

EDIT: I'm a Kopernicus Newb so I don't really know how to actually execute any of the workarounds I attempted correctly, so I'm leaving them here for a person way more talented than me to attempt

I'm not seeing this

I just tried putting a ship in orbit around kerbin and the persistent says REF = 1

Edited by Sigma88

14 hours ago, PT said:

Does that occur for ships on non-Kerbin orbit as well (eg, Serran or any other moon?)

It is a Kopernicus bug made by re-parenting Kerbin. It dose not occur for any other bodies except Kerbin, and only if Kerbin orbits a body that isn't the sun.

13 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

I'm not seeing this

I just tried putting a ship in orbit around kerbin and the persistent says REF = 1

Did you leave the ship in Kerbin orbit and exit and re-open the game? By launch I meant opening KSP not launching a rocket, sorry for confusion. The bug only effects ships in Kerbin orbit when the game is opened, and only on the first save you open (this save must have ships in Kerbin orbit) this is how I made a workaround which is in a previous post. And you must open the persistent file as soon as you go into the tracking station, which loads your ships. I don't think KSP loads player made ships until you go into the tracking station or similar.

So I Sigma'd up New Horizons x10 (Kerbin is now Earth-sized and the other NH planets were scaled up x10 as well), and am now playing realistic-sized New Horizons with Realism Overhaul. Wish me luck :)

Edited by FunnelVortex

I was doing some more research into this bug. Strange thing: All saves I opened had my ships referenced in a Sonnah orbit on startup of the save, but only the first save I opened changed the orbits. Both the second and the third save I opened on a single launch of KSP referenced Sonnah without changing their original orbits of Kerbin, only the first I opened actually changed the orbits. 

OK, thanks to @cantab et al for nailing the Kerbin orbit problem to Kopernicus.  I'm not letting it bother me.  It just means no stations or long-term probes at Kerbin.  I can do without those.

I did find an actual NH problem, however.  Eli's biomes don't work for science.  All of Eli is just the generic "surface" biome when you do experiments there, despite many biomes being visible to SCANsat.

Otherwise, I'm having a great time with NH.

16 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

OK, thanks to @cantab et al for nailing the Kerbin orbit problem to Kopernicus.  I'm not letting it bother me.  It just means no stations or long-term probes at Kerbin.  I can do without those.

I did find an actual NH problem, however.  Eli's biomes don't work for science.  All of Eli is just the generic "surface" biome when you do experiments there, despite many biomes being visible to SCANsat.

Otherwise, I'm having a great time with NH.

A few posts up I found a workaround. Takes about 5 minutes to execute on each start up of KSP, but the orbit bug won't effect anything afterwards. You probably can't avoid putting stuff in Kerbin orbit for long periods, further down the progression line you will have to assemble ships in Kerbin orbit, or have a fleet of ships ready for a transfer trajectory, you will have things in orbit of Kerbin. And most NH planets have specific biomes and 1 generic biome. Just treat it as any other biome

The biome map and config say there are only 3 biomes, ScanSat must have a problem

Edited by BashGordon33

Ok so for everyone with the Kerbin orbit bug. I'm sorry about no noticing it before release, but usually i don't leave ships orbiting Kerbin during tests, which is how i missed such an obvious issue.

Anyway with that said though, there are a couple solutions until it gets fixed, as said above this one works for now;

Spoiler

Make a save. Copy and paste the persistent file from the save folder you normally play and paste it in the new save, replacing the persistent in the new save. Play this save folder as soon as you open KSP. The orbits will be messed up, but you have 2 saves so it doesn't matter. You must go to the tracking station when you open the copy save. Then exit and play your regular save as normal. The bug only affects the first save you open, and only affects it once, per every game launch. It's an easy but annoying workaround. 

Just follow these instructions and the bug shouldn't effect your good save.

however there is a highly experimental cfg i would like some volunteers to try. @Sigma88 wrote a cfg that should remove the issue, however i havent actually had time to test it myself due to a bad work schedule. For those interested in testing it, it's install is pretty simple;

1. Download this cfg
  2. place the cfg anywhere inside your GameData folder
  3. Run the game

Feedback would be much appreciated, and remember to back up your saves just in case!

On 08/07/2016 at 0:42 PM, FunnelVortex said:

So I Sigma'd up New Horizons x10 (Kerbin is now Earth-sized and the other NH planets were scaled up x10 as well), and am now playing realistic-sized New Horizons with Realism Overhaul. Wish me luck

good luck dude!

On 06/07/2016 at 11:17 PM, Connor1234567821 said:

Tbh im not playing KSP Kopernicus until this is sorted out so no KSP 5 me

:(

18 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Thats.....very odd. No idea whats happening there, I'll look into it, cheers!

On 08/07/2016 at 10:08 AM, FunnelVortex said:

KillAshley, what do you use to create your planet textures? And how do you not get that ugly distorted/hole texture effect at the poles?

Photoshop, Kittopia and a lot of patience! Photoshop can un-distort polar coordinates, meaning you can edit them easily then stretch them back out again. However most of my textures are exported directly from the PQS itself using Kittopia.

2 hours ago, KillAshley said:

Ok so for everyone with the Kerbin orbit bug. I'm sorry about no noticing it before release, but usually i don't leave ships orbiting Kerbin during tests, which is how i missed such an obvious issue.

You couldn't have been expected to spot it anyway. To my knowledge it's a KSP and Kopernicus 1.1.3 issue. I had no problems running NH 2.0 with KSP 1.1.2 and appropriate Kopernicus.

On 7/9/2016 at 5:42 PM, Geschosskopf said:

Bunch of planets have "Surface" biome. Check out "biome hack" in ALT+F12, "surface" will be area without color overlay. Eli craters are indeed crater biome. KER gives correct biome names.

@KillAshley: I just noticed, Science Archives do not show bonus planets (not like anyone cares, right? :)).

Edited by PT

3 minutes ago, PT said:

Bunch of planets have "Surface" biome. Check out "biome hack" in ALT+F12, "surface" will be area without color overlay. Eli craters are indeed crater biome. KER gives correct biome names.

@KillAshley: I just noticed, Science Archives do not show bonus planets (not like anyone cares, right? :)).

those "missing areas" arent always surface biomes....just parts of the biome map that are colored RGB 0,0,0...KSP shaders are pretty poor :wink:

Edited by KillAshley

5 minutes ago, KillAshley said:

those "missing areas" arent always surface biomes....just parts of the biome map that are colored RGB 0,0,0...KSP shaders are pretty poor :wink:

Aaah!

Biome
{
    name = Frozen Wastes
    value = 1.0
    color = 0,0,0,1
}

:>

12 hours ago, BashGordon33 said:

You probably can't avoid putting stuff in Kerbin orbit for long periods, further down the progression line you will have to assemble ships in Kerbin orbit, or have a fleet of ships ready for a transfer trajectory, you will have things in orbit of Kerbin.

Well, actually, what I've been doing instead is parking stuff in Sonnah orbit right at the edge of the rings.  It's an extra 1800m/s to get there from Kerbin's surface so the long-term plan is to turn Mun into an EL shipyard for all my interplanetary stuff.  In fact, I'm already kinda committed to this strategy.  I've been in the habit of ignoring Mun almost entirely in my stock games so it needs some attention anyway :).  For the nonce, then, I'll let the Kraken keep Kerbin orbit and avoid messing with experimental config files.

14 minutes ago, PT said:

I just noticed, Science Archives do not show bonus planets (not like anyone cares, right? :)).

6 minutes ago, cantab said:

Re Science Archives: Start KSP, load save, go directly to archives and they work. If you've been in the VAB or flight or anywhere else they don't work afterwards 

I was just about to mention this myself.  Thanks for making that unnecessary and providing a fix before I even asked for it.

11 minutes ago, KillAshley said:

hose "missing areas" arent always surface biomes....just parts of the biome map that are colored RGB 0,0,0...KSP shaders are pretty poor :wink:

So you're saying I just had the bad luck to land on a small spot of "surface" instead of an actual named biome?

13 hours ago, KillAshley said:

This isn't a problem with NH, its a problem with Kopernicus re-parenting Kerbin. But because NH is the only planet pack that re-parents Kerbin, the bug only manifests itself when we download NH

15 hours ago, KillAshley said:

Photoshop, Kittopia and a lot of patience! Photoshop can un-distort polar coordinates, meaning you can edit them easily then stretch them back out again. However most of my textures are exported directly from the PQS itself using Kittopia.

Really? You can just make textures in Kittopia? How do you do that?

I was looking over that experimental config. It seems to generate a Barycentre inside Kerbin, and makes all your ships orbit the Barycentre instead of Kerbin, and because the bug only affects things in orbit of Kerbin, there shouldn't be a problem. They are all orbiting Kërbin (with the ë)! Quick question, because this is a Barycentre, dose it require Sigma Binary? I already have it, so I have no problem, but just for the rest of the users on this forum I would like to know.

EDIT: Don't download this without changing the reference bodies of all your spacecraft. Downloading the patch can cause the same glitches as downloading a new planet pack onto an already made save. If anybody has any problems with their ships orbiting a body that isn't what they were orbiting before the patch, tell me and I'll post a solution. Also, create another save with the same persistent file as the save you normally play to check if there are orbit issues. If you don't the orbits will be screwed up when they are reassigned to their normal body. Also, when you download this patch, don't ever expect to be able to collect science in space over Kerbin again. But most people will have already way past having to collect science from Kerbin. Also a bit of a funny occurrence occasionally happens at the main menu title screen if you download this :D

Besides the aforementioned science and reference body bugs, I have found no problems with this patch.  @Sigma88 is a genius.

Edited by BashGordon33