[1.3] [Kopernicus] New Horizons v2.0.1 [2JUN17] - It's Back!

KillAshley

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I gather that both Galelio’s Planet Pack and JNSQ planet pack have better basic design?

Yes, I think so.  Although there was certainly artistic license taken in some cases, for the most part I tried to make sure there was real life justification behind what we did.  For instance, we have a couple celestial bodies with methane lakes and another with a liquid nitrogen ocean.  For those I made certain the temperature and atmospheric pressure on those bodies was adequate to support those liquids on the surface.  There are a few things we did that are borderline, but if something was way out of the realm of possibility, we didn't do it.  We tried to balance realism with just making it cool and fun.  Both GPP and JNSQ lean more toward realism than does stock KSP.  The things in stock that have always bugged me for not being very realistic were fixed in JNSQ.

I can see the logic behind what was done in New Horizons, and for the most part it make sense.  I'm not going to criticize it for not being realistic because it was never intended to be ultra realistic.  It's a simple reorganization of the stock bodies to provide something new and different.  In that regard it succeeds wonderfully.

It goes without saying that if a body is moved from the outer system to the inner solar system, or vice versa, its temperature and atmosphere is going to change.  But the original designer wasn't concerned with that.  He just wanted to take a body that everyone knew and was familiar with and put it in a different location.  No other changes where made other than the relocation.  I find no fault with that, it served a purpose.  But now that I'm redoing the atmospheres in a more realistic manner, some of the issues that were previously ignored are starting to surface.

By the way, I'm changing the atmospheres via a patch file rather than editing the original configs.  That way if somebody wants to play New Horizons using the legacy atmospheres, they can just delete my file and it will go back to the way it was.  (Though there are a few things in the original configs that should be fixed regardless.)

Edited by OhioBob

6 hours ago, AVaughan said:

Would it make sense to raise lower solar radiation flux a little, and to compensate add methane/CO2 to Kerbin's atmosphere to give it a greenhouse effect?  Or would that be too small an effect?

That would be another way to compensate (good thinking).  The only problem with your suggestion, however, is that every atmosphere I've done so far is based on the flux at Kerbin being 1360 W/m2.  If it were to change, the already completed atmospheres would have to be redone.

On 12/31/2019 at 4:50 PM, GregroxMun said:

@linuxgurugamer @OhioBob instead of working on separate forks, why don't we merge our versions of the project so we don't have two competing versions? My version has working support for Interstellar Consortium as well as a patch that makes the NH sun a unique new star rather than an impossible stock-Sun clone.

Just an FYI, your version has a small bug in it.  I've merged all your changes into mine and am testing, it was causing the game to hang on 1.8.1.  Thanks to @Sigma88 it's been fixed, as follow:

In GameData/New_Horizons/KopernicusFiles/Sonnah/Kerbin.cfg:

Around line 24, you have:

@referenceBody = NH/Sun

it should be:

@referenceBody = NH/Sonnah

My version has merges from at least three other repos, so I wouldn't recommend doing a PR from mine, unless you want to get everything that I have.

I decided to go with your new naming sequence for everything, so we can go with my version as a solid version for 1.8.1, once testing is done.  I haven't done any testing on it yet because of the hang.  But my repo is updated on the 1.8 branch

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Just an FYI, your version has a small bug in it.  I've merged all your changes into mine and am testing, it was causing the game to hang on 1.8.1.  Thanks to @Sigma88 it's been fixed, as follow:

In GameData/New_Horizons/KopernicusFiles/Sonnah/Kerbin.cfg:

Around line 24, you have:

@referenceBody = NH/Sun

it should be:

@referenceBody = NH/Sonnah

My version has merges from at least three other repos, so I wouldn't recommend doing a PR from mine, unless you want to get everything that I have.

I decided to go with your new naming sequence for everything, so we can go with my version as a solid version for 1.8.1, once testing is done.  I haven't done any testing on it yet because of the hang.  But my repo is updated on the 1.8 branch

No uh that referenceBody = NH/Sun needs to be there lol. This is a workaround to a longstanding bug in KSP regarding reparenting the homeworld! That has to be referencing the Sun or you get severe problems. PostSpawnOrbit is used to put the homeworld around Sonnah. PostSpawnOrbit was literally made for New Horizons and Alternis Kerbol Rekerjiggered.

If it causes hangs in 1.8.1 that may be because PostSpawnOrbit broke in kopernicus' 1.8.1. I haven't tried NH in 1.8.1 so I can't check.

Edited by GregroxMun

24 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

No uh that referenceBody = NH/Sun needs to be there lol. This is a workaround to a longstanding bug in KSP regarding reparenting the homeworld! That has to be referencing the Sun or you get severe problems. PostSpawnOrbit is used to put the homeworld around Sonnah. PostSpawnOrbit was literally made for New Horizons and Alternis Kerbol Rekerjiggered.

If it causes hangs in 1.8.1 that may be because PostSpawnOrbit broke in kopernicus' 1.8.1. I haven't tried NH in 1.8.1 so I can't check.

@Sigma88 can you comment on this?

7 hours ago, OhioBob said:

@linuxgurugamer, the version of NH that I'm using doesn't work in 1.8.1 either, and I downloaded it before you merged Greg's stuff.  It hangs up on the main menu screen.

That I know, what I dont know is what happens if the reference body is not the sun.

The original line is from the original New Horizons

Edited by linuxgurugamer

10 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

10 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@Sigma88 can you comment on this?

When I uploaded my pull request I did not try to launch a vessel, I just made sure the game could load and that the position of the planets in the tracking station was correct. However, it seems like there are still issues when you try to actually launch vessels.

using PostSpawnOrbit will not work either, I confirmed this today by using this simple cfg (to make sure it wasn't an issue with something specific to NH)

Spoiler

@Kopernicus:FINAL
{
	@Body[Kerbin]
	{
		PostSpawnOrbit
		{
			referenceBody = Squad/Jool
		}
	}
}

Since I have still a lot of work to do on Kopernicus for 1.8.1 I don't think I will be able to look into PostSpawnOrbit, which means this will most likely remain a bug for a while.

1 hour ago, Sigma88 said:

When I uploaded my pull request I did not try to launch a vessel, I just made sure the game could load and that the position of the planets in the tracking station was correct. However, it seems like there are still issues when you try to actually launch vessels.

using PostSpawnOrbit will not work either, I confirmed this today by using this simple cfg (to make sure it wasn't an issue with something specific to NH)

Reveal hidden contents

@Kopernicus:FINAL
{
	@Body[Kerbin]
	{
		PostSpawnOrbit
		{
			referenceBody = Squad/Jool
		}
	}
}

Since I have still a lot of work to do on Kopernicus for 1.8.1 I don't think I will be able to look into PostSpawnOrbit, which means this will most likely remain a bug for a while.

Ok, so I'll revert that change, and for now NH will only be for 1.7.3.

Thanks for getting back to me

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/16/2020 at 6:21 PM, finkellll said:

Is the CKAN version the latest? It still has 1.3 KSP as the compatible version. If there is something more recent where do I find it?

Ckan has the last versin, check the version compatibility in Setting -> Compatible KSP version

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for putting time into getting this pack up to date! I'm a huge fan of the gas giant system homeworld setup, but getting it working on the latest versions of KSP has been outside of my skills. Am I correct in my understanding that it maybe works in KSP 1.8.x right now, and KSP 1.9.x is a good while away? I'm a little confused with the Kopernicus version numbers nearly overlapping with the KSP version numbers.

14 hours ago, HypnoButler said:

I'm a little confused with the Kopernicus version numbers nearly overlapping with the KSP version numbers.

Kopernicus is version locked so that each version of Kopernicus will work with only one version of KSP.  The version numbers must match.  Let's say, for example, you are playing KSP 1.8.1.  Then you must use a version of Kopernicus that is numbered 1.8.1-x.

Edited by OhioBob

• 4 months later...
On 3/2/2020 at 9:01 AM, OhioBob said:

Kopernicus is version locked so that each version of Kopernicus will work with only one version of KSP.  The version numbers must match.  Let's say, for example, you are playing KSP 1.8.1.  Then you must use a version of Kopernicus that is numbered 1.8.1-x.

This is the very first time I've heard that version numbers must match. I assumed that versions were backwards compatible to some extent. like KSP 1.7 would be ok with Kopernicus 1.8.   This explains why planet packs came up with warnings or KSP would hang or planet packs would load but no new planets would show up in the Tracking function.  Wish this information was widely known.  Would have saved hours of frustration.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

This mod was abandoned haven't updated long time. I tried New Horizons on KSP v1.12.3 still worked but shame scatterer not worked on older version New Horizons, only work on new version KSP & planets mods.
He last visited 24th July 2021 haven't login long time.

On 2/2/2022 at 8:10 PM, Wolves_Hero said:

This mod was abandoned haven't updated long time. I tried New Horizons on KSP v1.12.3 still worked but shame scatterer not worked on older version New Horizons, only work on new version KSP & planets mods.
He last visited 24th July 2021 haven't login long time.

Do you still need to fix Tidus to play?

I have an updated version with most of the bugs fixed available on my github here, made with KillAshley's permission. I also added the new terrain shader to all of the bodies, plus re-adding the old designs of Astid, Ete, and Oree. Lave is also re-added (with the addition of an equatorial ridge and volcano), with the old design of Leouch brought back as its moon, called Levy.

https://github.com/coyotesfrontier/New_Horizons

The only bug I know of is Etal's surface being transparent, which has proven impossible to fix so far.

1 hour ago, coyotesfrontier said:

I have an updated version with most of the bugs fixed available on my github here, made with KillAshley's permission. I also added the new terrain shader to all of the bodies, plus re-adding the old designs of Astid, Ete, and Oree. Lave is also re-added (with the addition of an equatorial ridge and volcano), with the old design of Leouch brought back as its moon, called Levy.

https://github.com/coyotesfrontier/New_Horizons

The only bug I know of is Etal's surface being transparent, which has proven impossible to fix so far.

Too bad I can't like a post more than once!