[1.3] [Kopernicus] New Horizons v2.0.1 [2JUN17] - It's Back!

KillAshley

Fantastic system, nicely done!! I will be exploring this system for a long time, hope you don't mind me posting some screen shots every so often.

Yeah that'd be awesome is always good to see what people do!

In all the excitement with this mod, I lost track of its compatibility with Outer Planets Mod. Is it temporarily incompatible? Or do wonderful things happen when they are combined?

Yeah because I just upgraded to stand alone kopernicus I temporarily took down the confifs I had to make them compatible, when I'm happy that my mod is stable and test how it goes with OPM then I'll put it back up.

Basically I just need to edit the orbit so they are in proper places in my system,I'll test it when I finish work, and if everything goes smoothly I'll add the patch back up, check back tomorrow and hopefully i can sort it out

Edited by KillAshley

Just a heads up, I tried adding the texture management mod plus Distant Object Enhancement, the Environment Cloud Pack and PlanetShine. The only other mod I have installed is MechJeb2. The program failed to open.

It opens fine with the cloud pack and planetshine though.

Edited by Larrt_M

Ashley, please keep in mind that Kopernicus 0.0.6 and KopernicusTech are fully incompatible. That means: Until CaptRobau ports his pack to the standalone Kopernicus, your mod won't work together with OPM. ;)

Derp, kinda forgot about that haha! Ah well at least I won't need to check whether it works or not!

Just a heads up, I tried adding the texture management mod plus Distant Object Enhancement, the Environment Cloud Pack and PlanetShine. The only other mod I have installed is MechJeb2. The program failed to open.

It opens fine with the cloud pack and planetshine though.

What do you mean it failed to open? Does it just crash completely, does it freeze, does it stop responding? ATM can cause the game to hang for a long time on the first launch as it generates it's files, ice had it hang for 2 hours before :(

Edited by KillAshley

very nice, and btw the color of all planets surfaces is fixed in my next update, so the surface will be the correct color, along with the correct surface textures!

just working on a few little things before i am happy with another release.

Well, if the orbit is the same in the next release I will leave that rover there and see how the surface looks after the fix. I'm still surprised this pack opened for me. I have had no luck at all with the Outer planets mod, it just won't open. Hopefully your next release opens!

Well, if the orbit is the same in the next release I will leave that rover there and see how the surface looks after the fix. I'm still surprised this pack opened for me. I have had no luck at all with the Outer planets mod, it just won't open. Hopefully your next release opens!

You know hearing it was easy to get running is a big relief! It's surprising how many problems pop up sometimes...

Orbits will be on the same trajectories, but I'm tweaking the starting points a little so you wont have to wait 20 years for certain transfer windows! The surface in my test world is now a beautiful bright orange color with sand on the ground (finally). So now it actually matches with the map view which is a tonne of work off my plate!

Feel free to keep posting screens, it's always interesting seeing what people do with this :wink:

Great! Looking forward to the new release and I will definitely be posting lots of screens. I'm going to leave the mother ship orbiting Arin so I can use the save on the new release. I need to drop a lander anyway to pick up the Kerbal in the rover so I may as well wait.

Edited by Larrt_M

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6hhmr36an16v5jq/density.png?dl=0

There are some problems with FAR? It is only mood i have instaled with new horizon :/

That is strange, thhanks for letting me know, I'll check it out when I get home from work. That's Serran right? Most likely it's a fault on my end but I'll see

EDIT:

yeah as i thought it was my fault, i removed the atmosphere settings in the Kittopia configs and it basically makes it go haywire, I'll put up a temp patch for it when i wake up (its 5:30am here), and have it fixed for next update hopefully. At the moment it only affects 3 planets; Serran, Titanus and Tidus (the only 3 planets that need kittopia). Maybe i can find a better way to create the oceans without relying on Kittopia...i'll poke around.

Edited by KillAshley

That is strange, thhanks for letting me know, I'll check it out when I get home from work. That's Serran right? Most likely it's a fault on my end but I'll see

EDIT:

yeah as i thought it was my fault, i removed the atmosphere settings in the Kittopia configs and it basically makes it go haywire, I'll put up a temp patch for it when i wake up (its 5:30am here), and have it fixed for next update hopefully. At the moment it only affects 3 planets; Serran, Titanus and Tidus (the only 3 planets that need kittopia). Maybe i can find a better way to create the oceans without relying on Kittopia...i'll poke around.

Btw when you go under 1KM or so atm pressure drop to 0.7 >.>. falling without parachute at 4m/s is quite amazing :D

You still need to find solution for deadly reentry bug. So far i found only that 2 bugs. Ill post here if i find something strange ;). Anyway GJ.

Yeah it was quite fun testing this tbh, that satisfying pop as the atmosphere pressure goes from over 250 to 0.3 is always funny! I'll post post the hotfixfor the 2 bugs when I finish work.

I'm redoing a lot of things for the next update, but I'm hoping kopenicus updates before I do , as the new version would fix a few issues too

Edited by KillAshley

well additional planets aren't off the table, as long as they don't take away from the game, and they provide a good challenge! I have ideas for one or 2 more, so a super atmospheric planet definitely isn't out of the question. What are you thinking, something thats low grav, high atmosphere? or make it another hardcore challenge planet for end game players with decent grav and atmosphere? (like titanus only on a bigger scale).

I'll have a think about it and see if i can find something i like, but let me know what you'd like to see and I'll see what i can do. Suggestions for the future are more than welcome!

EDIT:

A nice possibility

Oh the fun we could have

Edited by KillAshley

well additional planets aren't off the table, as long as they don't take away from the game, and they provide a good challenge! I have ideas for one or 2 more, so a super atmospheric planet definitely isn't out of the question. What are you thinking, something thats low grav, high atmosphere? or make it another hardcore challenge planet for end game players with decent grav and atmosphere? (like titanus only on a bigger scale).

I'll have a think about it and see if i can find something i like, but let me know what you'd like to see and I'll see what i can do. Suggestions for the future are more than welcome!

EDIT:

A nice possibility

Oh the fun we could have

low grav, high atmosphere or just small v.dense body with high atm. pressure, both are realistic :). But best would be dounut shaped planet https://www.google.pl/search?newwindow=1&tbm=isch&q=donut+shaped+planet&spell=1&sa=X&ei=qBcsVZjDIIn4ywPU54DIAw&ved=0CBwQBSgA&dpr=1&biw=1920&bih=968 (it is possible in real life but do not think possible in ksp... yet :D)

and i have no idea how you want to make plasma water planet :D

ill have a look into it, its a great idea. I like the prospect of a tiny body with a huge dense atmosphere. Aah well, while i work on it here's a little peek at the next update I've been fixing up:

Arin looks alot more like a desert now

A little boost to early game...

The asteroid near Kerbin looks fun. does it orbit Kerbin or just happen to be near it? You should probably put it at a Lagrange point to make it more realistic.

Arin looks great!

Arin's not the only one getting an overhaul :wink:

I'm still toying with it's orbit to find something I'm happy with for the asteroid's orbit. Just wanted a extra little bump for people in early game. I keep swapping the orbit from Kerbin to Sonnah and back, but I'll find something i like eventually :)

I'll have a look at the Lagrange point idea and see how it looks

EDIT:

toyed around a bit and placed it in a L1/L2 orbit and it looks pretty good. Gonna keep toying with the idea and see what i can come up with.

Edited by KillAshley

After Alternis Kerbol didn´t received a patch for anything newer then 0.23 , I´m really enjoying your attempt on a completely new Kerbal experience.

And it is surprisingly polished. In my ~20 hours of playing in your system , I only encountered one bigger bug: My Orbital Station around the mun got kicked out of orbit after loading the safe game.

Luckly I had a quick safe from not long ago, so nothing really broke ^^

The idea of a munlet around kerbin sounds great. Without minmus in reach, science is hard to come by in the early game.

Really looking forward to the next update.

After Alternis Kerbol didn´t received a patch for anything newer then 0.23 , I´m really enjoying your attempt on a completely new Kerbal experience.

And it is surprisingly polished. In my ~20 hours of playing in your system , I only encountered one bigger bug: My Orbital Station around the mun got kicked out of orbit after loading the safe game.

Luckly I had a quick safe from not long ago, so nothing really broke ^^

The idea of a munlet around kerbin sounds great. Without minmus in reach, science is hard to come by in the early game.

Really looking forward to the next update.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. I've been at it hard to make this as well as i can. I basically aimed at something I wanted to play and went nuts! There has had to be compromises, and the development is still very much ongoing, but I'm pretty happy with how it is (well how it is for me, seeing as you guys don't have the next update yet :sticktongue:)

Yeah a small body near kerbin was suggested a while ago, but I've only just finished getting it stable so nows the time to expand! I'm trying to carefully balance things though, in the next update i have correctly scaled science for ALL planets to make up for having more than double the amount of bodies around. That makes adding the moons position very delicate for early game runners...but when i do release if you find it too hard/easy let me know.

I would love to see a huge rocky planet with gravity equal or higher than eve close to the sun with a thin, thinner than duna, very hot atmosphere having been mostly blown away by its proximity from the sun. I think that would be a good challenge. Maybe haveing a relatively eccentric orbit.

This is a great mod! :D Can I suggest maybe a small, low-gravity moon around Kerbin or Sonnah for starting out? Congrats for the best mod for 0.90 that I've seen so far!

:blush: thanks man. There is a small asteroid in the next update (if an asteroid with a 40km radius is called small) that will give a nice little bump to the early game. timed right i got there for 700km/s but I'm still tweaking it's orbit until I'm completely happy with it.

I would love to see a huge rocky planet with gravity equal or higher than eve close to the sun with a thin, thinner than duna, very hot atmosphere having been mostly blown away by its proximity from the sun. I think that would be a good challenge. Maybe having a relatively eccentric orbit.

i do like the idea, it could possibly be implemented as a kind of rogue planet captured by the system leaving it highly eccentric...will have to put alot of thought into it before i start work on it though as i don't want the system to be unstable even for KSP standards :wink:. Already have started plans for a gaseous planet with an insanly thick atmosphere but little gravity suggested by Leouch, but I'll definitely look into it!