[1.3] [Kopernicus] New Horizons v2.0.1 [2JUN17] - It's Back!

KillAshley

1 minute ago, Sigma88 said:

@OatBran I think this is from standard KSP mechanics

You can't set a body as target while you are inside it's soi

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. Like i said I am pretty new to the game still and wasn't really sure what was going on. I figured out a rather easy way to accomplish what I was trying to do without needing to set a target anyway. Thanks for the response though!

I can't seem to start New Horizons at all-- is this a known issue?

Everything seems fine during the loading splash screen.  However, once the main menu comes up, the game endlessly spams NullReferenceException.  If I try to start a new career, or open an existing one, the game just hangs on the black "Loading..." screen forever (the little "planets" display is animated, but it just goes on and on).

Spoiler

When I look at the log file, I see initially an endless repetition of this:

Spoiler

[EXC 12:24:34.065] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar.LateUpdate ()
[EXC 12:24:34.081] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 12:24:34.098] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

...followed by:

Spoiler

[LOG 12:24:34.609] [ReflectionUtil]: Found 4 types with UpgradeModule attribute in 16 assemblies.
[LOG 12:24:34.618] [KSPUpgradePipeline]: Test sandbox (1.3.0) is up to date.
[LOG 12:24:34.624] [ExperienceSystem]: Found 0 trait types
[LOG 12:24:34.627] [ExperienceSystem]: Found 16 effect types
[LOG 12:24:34.649] [ScenarioTypes]: List Created 19 scenario types loaded from 16 loaded assemblies.
[LOG 12:24:34.650] [UIMasterController]: HideUI
[ERR 12:24:34.651] Exception handling event onGameSceneLoadRequested in class PSystemSetup:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Sun.SunlightEnabled (Boolean state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at PSystemSetup.SetDisabled () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at PSystemSetup.OnSceneChange (GameScenes scene) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EventData`1[GameScenes].Fire (GameScenes data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[EXC 12:24:34.654] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Sun.SunlightEnabled (Boolean state)
    PSystemSetup.SetDisabled ()
    PSystemSetup.OnSceneChange (GameScenes scene)
    EventData`1[GameScenes].Fire (GameScenes data)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    EventData`1:Fire(GameScenes)
    HighLogic:LoadScene(GameScenes)
    Game:Start()
    MainMenu:OnLoadDialogPipelineFinished(ConfigNode, String)
    <OnLoadDialogFinished>c__AnonStorey167:<>m__26D(ConfigNode)
    KSPUpgradePipeline:Process(ConfigNode, String, LoadContext, Callback`1, Callback`2)
    MainMenu:OnLoadDialogFinished(String)
    LoadGameDialog:ConfirmLoadGame()
    LoadGameDialog:OnButtonLoad()
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()
[LOG 12:24:34.659] [HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From MAINMENU to SPACECENTER (Async) =====================
[EXC 12:24:34.660] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Kopernicus.StarLightSwitcher.Update ()
[EXC 12:24:34.670] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[LOG 12:24:34.810] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'AtmosphereFixer' from assembly 'Kopernicus'
[EXC 12:24:34.812] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Sun.SunlightEnabled (Boolean state)
    PSystemSetup.SetDisabled ()
    PSystemSetup.OnLevelLoaded (Int32 level)
    PSystemSetup.OnSceneLoaded (Scene scene, LoadSceneMode mode)
    UnityEngine.SceneManagement.SceneManager.Internal_SceneLoaded (Scene scene, LoadSceneMode mode)
[EXC 12:24:35.040] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 12:24:35.041] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 12:24:35.043] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

...Then miscellaneous NullReferenceExceptions for a page or two, and finally it settles down to an endless repetition of this, basically forever:

Spoiler

[EXC 12:24:35.933] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Orbit.GetOrbitalStateVectorsAtTrueAnomaly (Double tA, Double UT, .Vector3d& pos, .Vector3d& vel)
    Orbit.UpdateFromUT (Double UT)
    OrbitDriver.updateFromParameters ()
    OrbitDriver.UpdateOrbit (Boolean offset)
    CelestialBody.CBUpdate ()
    Planetarium.UpdateCBsRecursive (.CelestialBody cb)
    Planetarium.FixedUpdate ()
[EXC 12:24:35.936] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 12:24:35.937] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    GalaxyCubeControl.Update ()
[EXC 12:24:35.937] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 12:24:35.951] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Orbit.GetOrbitalStateVectorsAtTrueAnomaly (Double tA, Double UT, .Vector3d& pos, .Vector3d& vel)
    Orbit.UpdateFromUT (Double UT)
    OrbitDriver.updateFromParameters ()
    OrbitDriver.UpdateOrbit (Boolean offset)
    CelestialBody.CBUpdate ()
    Planetarium.FixedUpdate ()
[EXC 12:24:35.953] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 12:24:35.954] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    GalaxyCubeControl.Update ()
[EXC 12:24:35.955] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

FWIW, if I try running with Kopernicus, but without New Horizons, everything starts up fine and there are no exceptions anywhere.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?  From the above thread, it sounds as though there are some folks who are successfully running NH in its current version... but how?

[EDIT:  Please ignore the above, entirely my bad.  Turned out I actually had Kopernicus 1.3.0-1 installed somehow.  Once I actually installed 1.3.0-4, everything worked fine.  Thanks to KillAshley for helping me sort this out.]

Edited by Snark
derp

1 minute ago, Snark said:

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

I have a feeling this is yet another victim of the BUILTIN/ textures used more than once issue.

it has already been solved in the development build, but there are other issues with that build that have to be solved before releasing a new update

at this point I would suggest @Thomas P. to do a small release adding just the fix for BUILTIN/ textures and postponing the other changes to a later update

On 7/20/2017 at 0:42 PM, Sigma88 said:

I have a feeling this is yet another victim of the BUILTIN/ textures used more than once issue.

So this is a known Kopernicus bug that renders Kopernicus version 1.3.0-4 inoperable with New Horizons 2.0.1?

If that's so... what's a Kopernicus version that will work?  There must be one, because I see people posting about using 2.0.1, who evidently aren't having problems.

Until Kopernicus comes out with a usable version, perhaps @KillAshley could provide some guidance in the OP of this thread?  e.g. "Requires Kopernicus, most recent known usable version is X, don't use <known bad version or versions> because it won't work", or words to that effect?

[EDIT:  Please ignore the above, entirely my bad.  Turned out I actually had Kopernicus 1.3.0-1 installed somehow.  Once I actually installed 1.3.0-4, everything worked fine.  Thanks to KillAshley for helping me sort this out.]

Edited by Snark
derp

6 hours ago, Snark said:

So this is a known Kopernicus bug that renders Kopernicus version 1.3.0-4 inoperable with New Horizons 2.0.1?

If that's so... what's a Kopernicus version that will work?  There must be one, because I see people posting about using 2.0.1, who evidently aren't having problems.

Until Kopernicus comes out with a usable version, perhaps @KillAshley could provide some guidance in the OP of this thread?  e.g. "Requires Kopernicus, most recent known usable version is X, don't use <known bad version or versions> because it won't work", or words to that effect?

it's just a feeling, I haven't had time to look into it since work is being a d**k lately :D

I have no idea if there's a version that would work, if I were you I would try going back to 1.3.0-3 or -2 and see what happens

the weird thing is that I use NH for SASS and last time I checked it was working fine...

seeing that NH was released on June 2 it was probably developed with Kopernicus release-1.3.0-2 in mind

On 21/07/2017 at 10:21 AM, Snark said:

thats very odd, i have a game running fine with 1.3.0-4. Could you upload the /logs/ folder so i can see the kopernicus logs? there has to be something odd going on.

8 hours ago, Scotskerb said:

Is it possible you could create an expansion to this mod that adds new star systems that fit the style of New Horizons?

someone can, sure. Unfortunately I wont do it myself. Galactic Neighborhood works with NH iirc so you can always pair it with other packs, however you will start in the stock system not the NH system.

1 hour ago, KillAshley said:

Could you upload the /logs/ folder so i can see the kopernicus logs? there has to be something odd going on.

Well, derp.  For the benefit of other folks in the thread, I shared the logs with KillAshley and he kindly and patiently pointed out that I did not, in fact, have Kopernicus 1.3.0-4 installed, but actually had 1.3.0-1.  Ugh.  :blush:  No idea how that happened, I'm usually very meticulous about that sort of thing-- must have had a cached version of a file sitting somewhere or something.

Anyway, mea culpa, totally my bad, NH is up and running fine now.  Thanks all, and sorry for wasting your time.  Looking forward to taking NH for a spin after a long hiatus.  :)

On 7/19/2017 at 1:03 AM, Scotskerb said:

Maybe you could make Kerbin orbit close enough to Sonnah to make it tidally locked?

Also, I seem to be experiencing a bug where my crew won't level up, and I suspect it may have something to do with this mod. Can you check on that?

I had that same question too originally. Try sending them to The Mun; the crew will probably all level up to level 1. I think earned XP may have been modified so kerbals don't get to level one from just orbiting around Kerbin.

On 7/22/2017 at 11:35 AM, t rock said:

I had that same question too originally. Try sending them to The Mun; the crew will probably all level up to level 1. I think earned XP may have been modified so kerbals don't get to level one from just orbiting around Kerbin.

Yeah you're right. My crew is leveling up fine now that I've progressed.

Is it intentional that experiments on the added planets don't show the biome when they're collected? For example, "temperature scan from recorded" or "atmospheric analysis while flying over recorded." I can see biomes on the added planets in KER but not in Kerbnet, science archives, or when I actually collect them. I don't seem to have this problem on Kerbin or The Mun. Sorry if this was mentioned earlier; I searched this thread and didn't find anything about this. Still having a lot of fun with this mod!

On 25/07/2017 at 8:17 AM, t rock said:

Is it intentional that experiments on the added planets don't show the biome when they're collected? For example, "temperature scan from recorded" or "atmospheric analysis while flying over recorded." I can see biomes on the added planets in KER but not in Kerbnet, science archives, or when I actually collect them. I don't seem to have this problem on Kerbin or The Mun. Sorry if this was mentioned earlier; I searched this thread and didn't find anything about this. Still having a lot of fun with this mod!

No it is not. A few of the Science Definitions have to be updated. I know @KillAshley has said that they are being worked on as well as Derso for the next update.

@KillAshley, Is Ernus being worked on as well? 

I have an idea! Why not push the limits and make Titanus's ASL pressure close to 4,000 kPa? Or at least push the limits of what kerbals on EVA can take, if that's lower. Don't question my logic; this is a great idea!

Edited by Scotskerb

Playability. Old Leouch had about 20 atm pressure at datum and descending into its rift was slow. Epic, but slow. Also too much pressure and rockets won't lift you back off. You can use propellers but again it'll be a slow ascent.

Okay, but when it says "immensely thick atmosphere and crushing gravity", I feel like that ought to pose a challenge. Besides, it is an oxygen atmosphere, which means jet engines would work quite nicely. Could the pressure at least be substantially greater than that of Eve?

So I built a simple craft in the VAB to prove my point, with 5 wheesley engines, which are one of the weakest jet engines you can get; according to Kerbal Engineer, the TWR (on Titanus, not Kerbin) stays above 1 up to an altitude of 40 km on Titanus, with over 80 km/s of delta v.

Edited by Scotskerb

I've noticed that Kerbin seems to wander from it's orbital path in the Tracking station, it doesn't seem to affect the map view in-flight though.

On 8/2/2017 at 10:14 PM, Scotskerb said:

So I built a simple craft in the VAB to prove my point, with 5 wheesley engines, which are one of the weakest jet engines you can get; according to Kerbal Engineer, the TWR (on Titanus, not Kerbin) stays above 1 up to an altitude of 40 km on Titanus, with over 80 km/s of delta v.

Titanus /is/ supposed to be very high in oxygen... i'd assume it's meant to be like that!

Landing on Etal

Thanks KillAshley for putting this great planet pack together.

I like to set myself the challenge of landing on all (solid) planets and moons in new planet packs. I've done a few so far (OPM, GPP, Gameslinx). Just getting started with New Horizons as I've spent a fair amount of time struggling with an Etal landing mission... It's one of the toughest challenges yet I think.

I finally managed it using a lander I made using Space Y parts. I couldn't do it with stock. 

HW4D6fe.png

The huge gravity requires high TWR and high DV. I used a Space Y Multi-Ratite as the landing engine (!) and 7.5m Space Y parts. The lander has rover wheels to help absorb the landing impact - no amount of landing struts would take it. It also has drop tanks and a mining/refuelling setup. It packs about 6000 dV.

I had to upgrade my heavy Space Y launcher to get it there and only just had enough fuel to land. It took many attempts.

sixC0EN.png

The drop tanks are dropped during descent, so less dV is available after refuelling. It has enough to get back in to a ~150K circular orbit.

After that I sent a rescue probe to pick my Kerbal up, and that packed enough punch to get her straight back home to Kerbin - so two Kerbin launches in total for the mission.

YVaA03Z.png

Looking forward to visiting the remaining planets and moons...hoping Etal was the tough one as it took ages!

MbebJOb.png

Plummet.

3 hours ago, Plummet said:

Landing on Etal

Thanks KillAshley for putting this great planet pack together.

I like to set myself the challenge of landing on all (solid) planets and moons in new planet packs. I've done a few so far (OPM, GPP, Gameslinx). Just getting started with New Horizons as I've spent a fair amount of time struggling with an Etal landing mission... It's one of the toughest challenges yet I think.

I finally managed it using a lander I made using Space Y parts. I couldn't do it with stock. 

HW4D6fe.png

The huge gravity requires high TWR and high DV. I used a Space Y Multi-Ratite as the landing engine (!) and 7.5m Space Y parts. The lander has rover wheels to help absorb the landing impact - no amount of landing struts would take it. It also has drop tanks and a mining/refuelling setup. It packs about 6000 dV.

I had to upgrade my heavy Space Y launcher to get it there and only just had enough fuel to land. It took many attempts.

sixC0EN.png

The drop tanks are dropped during descent, so less dV is available after refuelling. It has enough to get back in to a ~150K circular orbit.

After that I sent a rescue probe to pick my Kerbal up, and that packed enough punch to get her straight back home to Kerbin - so two Kerbin launches in total for the mission.

YVaA03Z.png

Looking forward to visiting the remaining planets and moons...hoping Etal was the tough one as it took ages!

MbebJOb.png

Plummet.

I'm playing New Horizons in career mode, with stock parts and Contract Configurator. You have just made me deeply afraid of what is to come (I'm currently working on landing on Serran).

On 8/5/2017 at 6:32 PM, Scotskerb said:

I'm playing New Horizons in career mode, with stock parts and Contract Configurator. You have just made me deeply afraid of what is to come (I'm currently working on landing on Serran).

Somebody try landing on Etal with stock parts and post a video of it; I'm really curious.

Edited by Scotskerb

Landing on Titanus

After my Etal mission I thought the rest would be easy...but then I found Titanus!

With high gravity and very high atmospheric pressure it's another hard challenge. Much like Eve, but with the benefit of oxygen for air-breathing engines.

I experimented with different engines but eventually used the Whiplash Turbo Ramjet as the thrust ramps up significantly as the speed picks up so you get increasing TWR.

I used four outer Vectors to get the party started - you need to get air moving through the ramjets and they help to lift the craft through the thick lower air. There's an inner core of 5 ramjets, with 4 on the outside. On top of all that is a Vector with drop tanks, followed by a final Aerospike stage. So, the staging order goes:

- Fire up the ramjets and Vectors, drop the legs, drop the Vectors, drop the outer ramjets, drop the lower stage and light the Vector stage, drop the Vector drop tanks, stage and fire up the Aerospike.

eDhG8rd.png

It's tricky to get it right and it took many attempts to find the optimal curve before I was eventually able to limp in to a 200K circular orbit.

It won't handle sea-level - needs to be at least 3000m ASL.

Parts are mostly stock - I used lithobraking legs just so it looks tidier (landing speed is around 10m/s so I could have used multiple sets of stock legs). I also used the ladders from the lithobraking pack - those are great, I had real hassle with Eve using fiddly small ladders.

Of course, you have to get there first... I used my standard Space-Y heavy lifter and a nice reverse gravity assist from a handily placed Tylo to get to low Titanus orbit in one launch

3y0Gs04.png

Then you have to deal with the heat. I used the same trick as Eve - 4 inflatable shields at the base and then a 'flower' of 5 shields at the top to act as an airbrake and to keep the craft oriented through entry. I started from a very low (165K) orbit and dropped the PE down to just 168.5K in order to start a very shallow re-entry.

nTCvTkg.png

At first the whole thing swings like a big pendulum but eventually it settles down and it was all a bit smoother than Eve.

Once through the heat, the upper 'Flower' decouples as one unit, then the craft flips upside down allowing the lower 4 shields to be jettisoned. After that, let the speed come down as the air thickens before deploying 2 drogues followed by 6 chutes. I was lucky to land at a high enough elevation at the first attempt.

Then, a quick flag plant before we're off again.

zJwTrA5.png

Now I just have to go and pick my guy up... surely after that the rest of the planets will be easy!

Plummet.