[1.3] [Kopernicus] New Horizons v2.0.1 [2JUN17] - It's Back!

KillAshley

You might also be able to use gravity assists from either Serran or Kerbin to reverse your orbit.

I've had occasions coming back from Aptur where the orbit around Kerbin would produce a full 180 turnabout - relative to Kerbin. Unfortunately I think it just drops you down into low Sonnah orbit, rather than flips you round. Might be plausible to take a ship right out to the edge of Sonnah's SoI and just barely sneak into stellar space for a moment then come back in retrograde however. The last ship I sent for a Sonnah rescue had 3000 delta-v to spare because I overbuilt it a tad, maybe I'll try it legit next time.

KillAshley:"All of the planets are in individual folders, simply delete the ones you want and go for it. You may also want to look for the vanilla planet .cfg's as they change the stock orbits around."

What should I do with the compatibility patches? I've got Kerbol Plus, but would I need the patch if nothing's getting rearranged? Also, how do you insert the quote box into a post?

Edit: I tested it with nothing in the Planets or Rings folders except Arin-related things, and everything in the other folders there, and neither Arin nor the Kerbol Plus planets are there now.

More edit: I tried sticking it into the KerbolPlus folder, changing the filepath names, and amazingly, Arin and Atell are there! Though Astid seems to have had a critical existence failure, and I don't have a clue why. Does this mean the game's likely to be unstable?

Edited by Ekken

Anyone tried using turbojets on a Serran return vehicle? I feel like they should do well in the lower gravity, but I'm not sure whether the thinner atmo will stifle them. (Finally unlocked that part of my tech tree. Didn't realise that I've been playing at 50% science income :blush:)

This mod is amazing! Completely refreshes KSP. Thanks for that. Although, a really annoying bug i get is random crashing. I can play the game for a=2 hours straight then crash or I could play it for 5 minutes then crash. Not sure if a mod is conflicting or not. I dont have many mods installed and non of them are the ones stated.

This mod is amazing! Completely refreshes KSP. Thanks for that. Although, a really annoying bug i get is random crashing. I can play the game for a=2 hours straight then crash or I could play it for 5 minutes then crash. Not sure if a mod is conflicting or not. I dont have many mods installed and non of them are the ones stated.

turns out i missed this one...is the game topping out the RAM? or is it some kind of error causing the crashes?

I have a weird bug:

I had 2 contracts, save a kerbal from the mün-orbit and recover a part from mün-orbit.

I brought a ship to the münar orbit, and discovered that my kerbal (anna) was sitting in a probe core (a bug with MKS/OKS), in an 13km-orbit. I logged out and changed the probe core into a cockpit. when I logged back into the game, my ship, the cockpit (which was a probe core) and that other part (which I did not visit) were on a suborbital trajectory.

I have a savegame immediately before I changed the persistent.cfg (backup, if something goes wrong with editing the file), so I should be able to replicate the bug (over and over again). maybe it's not the editing, but the logging out and in. maybe mün changes its position (and does not update its orbiting objects).

interested?

by the way, mechjeb acted weird in müns orbit too. I think, it usually does NOT place maneuver nodes below the münar surface. so, maybe mechjeb didn't fail, but mün "jumped"?

and because of that bug, which you mention in the OP, which ejects ships out of münar orbit: if mün "jumps" while a space ship is in low orbit and moves it into high orbit, the ship would then eject out of müns orbit.

Edited by Hotblack Desiato

hmmm yeah send me the save if you can, will be interesting to look at as i haven't actually been able to replicate it reliably myself. I'll seriously have a closer look into Mun and it's issues, as previously it completely boggled me so i kinda put it aside, but your idea would definitely make sense. I'll poke around when i get a little free time from work.

by the way, mechjeb acted weird in müns orbit too. I think, it usually does NOT place maneuver nodes below the münar surface. so, maybe mechjeb didn't fail, but mün "jumped"?

Now that you mention it, I had that a few days ago... set me an escape burn through the Mun. First time I didn't realise what MJ was doing, 2nd time I plotted the course manually.

...have you finished your year dead for tax reasons yet?

hmmm yeah send me the save if you can

I'll send you my persistent through dropbox tomorrow (via pm). or do you have a mail address, which you can send me?

I'll try to replicate that bug.

mods which should be installed for testing: new horizons (of course), MKS/OKS, USI Life support, station science (that should be everything using parts which are built into the involved ships, since ships with missing parts get deleted) and kerbal joint reinforcement (maybe something starts to wobble?).

I guess, it doesn't matter that I edited a few bodies (aptur, arin, astid and a few others... they had a too high gravity for my taste).

EDIT: regarding taxes, I'm waiting for a tax refund. apparently I was successful ;-)

Edited by Hotblack Desiato

KillAshely, what are you using for generating your pressure curves? Anything informative you could point me to in that regard? Trying to grasp Kopernicus' Atmosphere section proves to be quite the daunting task ._.

I'll send you my persistent through dropbox tomorrow (via pm). or do you have a mail address, which you can send me?

I'll try to replicate that bug.

mods which should be installed for testing: new horizons (of course), MKS/OKS, USI Life support, station science (that should be everything using parts which are built into the involved ships, since ships with missing parts get deleted) and kerbal joint reinforcement (maybe something starts to wobble?).

I guess, it doesn't matter that I edited a few bodies (aptur, arin, astid and a few others... they had a too high gravity for my taste).

EDIT: regarding taxes, I'm waiting for a tax refund. apparently I was successful ;-)

cool, just PM the lonk to me on here, as i rarely check my actual email address. I'll have a goo look over and see of there's something i can do. Editing the gravity of other planets shouldn't be an issue, as long as Mun's is still the same :wink:

KillAshely, what are you using for generating your pressure curves? Anything informative you could point me to in that regard? Trying to grasp Kopernicus' Atmosphere section proves to be quite the daunting task ._.

I made a calculator that a lot of people are using, it'll generate the curves for pressure, temperature and temperatureSunMulti when you enter the altitude, pressure and temperature. It uses stock curves and is accurate to 0.0001atm pressure. I'll PM you the link.

Something amazing happened...

91sAzDu.jpg

...simple prograde burn from an equatorial orbit, encountered Aptur, didn't get recaptured by Kerbin! :D

Circularisation burn was a rather aggressive 820m/s, but for ease and speed, this is now going to be my favoured route. 1800m/s in the transfer stage and all is well. (Admittedly that would have got you to Duna in stock :P)

It a good you finally found a route that agrees with you. 1800m/s is a little much, I'd keep experimenting as there's better routes, I'll try and grab a shot of a good one for you soon

Yeah, there's a lower delta-v option that I posted back on page 68, but it required a mid-course correction and never left me feeling confident that it would a) arrive, and B) cost what I thought it would. While expensive on the fuel, this path gives me a predictable requirement for my transfer stage - and coming back is easier than deorbiting from LKO, so it kinda balances.

Finally made friends with Aptur...

nbBvDXw.jpg

The route wasn't very efficient, but my standard Fox class lander turned out to have excess fuel capacity, returning to meet with a lab in LKO before deorbiting, still with it's nacelle fuel pods attached. Generally those would have been left on the Munar surface ^^

A tough rock to crack, but this landing should reward me with a goodly haul of analysed science over the next few hundred days, which I shall be directing towards the excessively luxurious extendible solar panels! Also tempted to move the lab out towards Serran... but that would probably need a refuelling station to guarantee return to Kerbin.

Side note; my transfer stage is still there. I kicked it off at 1km above the ground and it survived the fall :P

*edit* After a second mission, I got the Kerbin-Aptur transfer down to about 1500m/s. Mostly it's about waiting an orbit or two before burning - or looping round again and burning in an 'earlier' orbit. Also managed to transfer from the far side of Sonnah, when Aptur was on the inside lane. My science lab is now loaded with over 200 data :)

Edited by eddiew

haha love the shots, eddiew, keep em coming! Working on a few little things here and there and progress is a little slow, but there's definite progress....mainly just extra polish, along with the extra SciDefs from MinimumSky5. Anyways keep it up and keep posting those shots dude :wink: