How many parts can you handle?

Guest Darth Gerbil

How many parts can you handle?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. How many parts can you handle?

With a decent framerate flying a plane over Kerbin: 250-ish

Orbiting Kerbin high: 350-ish

In deep space: 500+

Note: My definition of decent is different from yours. The first time I played KSP it was on an ancient laptop - 3fps max. Second laptop wouldn't run anything in real time barring 10 part rockets in space. But this laptop is 400x better. So, max with real time if I'm not actually doing anything intensive (taking off from Kerbin) would be around 300.

The biggest useful thing I've built is around 500 parts. The biggest thing I built but never used was a 1000 part monster.

2 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

With a decent framerate flying a plane over Kerbin: 250-ish

Orbiting Kerbin high: 350-ish

In deep space: 500+

Note: My definition of decent is different from yours. The first time I played KSP it was on an ancient laptop - 3fps max. Second laptop wouldn't run anything in real time barring 10 part rockets in space. But this laptop is 400x better. So, max with real time if I'm not actually doing anything intensive (taking off from Kerbin) would be around 300.

The biggest useful thing I've built is around 500 parts. The biggest thing I built but never used was a 1000 part monster.

Back around version .24 I docked a 250 part ship to a 400+ part station.  That was controllable, but the next ship went total lagfest when it got into physics range, and then collided with the station. (I had a REALLY good docking approach going on) it took the computer what seemed like 20 minutes to finish rendering the collision (but was probably more like 2-3),  and then I had quite the disaster - but it *was* truly epic.

Seeing as we're opening this thread again, I can only assume that different people have very different thresholds for acceptable performance.

For me, any time the clock isn't green is a problem. In orbit, that's probably 200-300 parts. In atmosphere, more like 150.

If anyone out there is really getting 500+ parts with a green clock, either my system is vastly under-performing, or you've found some magical configuration that isn't loading up the physics calculations ¬_¬ 

I can get to about 100 parts and it still be fairly okay (that's not much considering that I regularly play at 10-20 fps :P).

Wait, the majority of you guys can handle 500+ parts on your computer?! Wow, and I'm just sitting here with a 2009 HP desktop!

In stock I can deal with about 500 parts before the game becomes entirely unplayable (although FPS drops below the point of fun by that time). But I never play stock so my maximum part count is lower. With my long-term career the game begins lagging at about 100 parts on a launch, but about 250 parts once in space where there's no atmosphere to worry about. I don't know how some people can have thousands upon thousands of parts; your computers must be approaching divinity.